Keys, Keys

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Keys, Keys

Post by fun2scoot »

Wanted a spare key to leave with a friend if needed, and tried to purchase one from a Honda site. Not possible. Not even a blank can be bought for the 2015 PCX.
A locksmith friend could also not get the blank - that unique head being essential.
Even the dealer discovered he could not order one. Said he'd ask regional what was going on...

...yeah, right; I'd still be a virgin if I waited for answers like that.

A letter to Honda corporate on the matter was answered promptly with the name and extension of a nice fellow who explained that only Honda has the keys. After verifying that I am me and that I bought the bike, he just needed the key code from me. Thank God I saved that little chit with the 4 digit code that came with the new scooter's keys!
'cause without it, I wasn't gonna be gettin' no keys!
I asked how much, he said no charge; it's in with the purchase. 3 days later I had my spare.

Lastly, anyone else finding their lock getting temperamental? Mine was. It's never been wet so I figure the slides must be cheap. I recommend everyone sprinkle some graphite on the key, slide it in, and out. Repeat. The lock will be much smoother and will last.
Cheers!
Wulfy
Color: Red

Re: Keys, Keys

Post by Wulfy »

There is a couple of places where your key code is including on the bike if i recall reading the manual right so not a major drama if lost but worst case would be a barrel swop out but always good to take pictures of everything important :)
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fun2scoot »

Wulfy wrote:There is a couple of places where your key code is including on the bike if i recall reading the manual right so not a major drama if lost but worst case would be a barrel swop out but always good to take pictures of everything important :)
Yes, I thought that too, and, before remembering where the chit was I searched and searched all over the bike, manual and sales papers for that code - nada.

but then, my reading glasses need a redo....
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

When i called Honda, they asked for the key serial number. I never received a "chit" or keychain with the serial number. That serial was etched into the 1 key i had. The only problem is that the first part of the serial looked like a "U" or an "O" but it was actually a "D". The top of the letter was near one of the ridges in the key. Honda was wonderful to deal with.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Our 2013 pcx 150s came with 2 keys. Have they gotten cheap now and only give you 1 key after paying $3,500 for their product? We ride our scooters as a couple, so she has my spare key under her seat and I have her spare key under my seat. We started doing this after the first time she locked her keys under her seat and I had to ride all the way home to get the spare. She has locked her keys under her seat 3 times now, so now I am prepared.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

:? Mel, A dumb question. How do you get the spare key out from under the seat if you can't unlock the seat??? :? :?
mannyaguilar
Where - is - my - super - suit?
Where - is - my - super - suit?
Color: Black

Post by mannyaguilar »

JohnL wrote::? Mel, A dumb question. How do you get the spare key out from under the seat if you can't unlock the seat??? :? :?
He keeps his wife's key under his seat and vice-versa. So if his wife leaves her key under her seat he opens his seat and gets a copy of her key to open the seat. Pretty good idea!
Currently own: Black Honda PCX150 2015, Red Ural with sidecar 1996, Grey Piaggio MP3 400cc 2009.
Wulfy
Color: Red

Post by Wulfy »

I got two with mine the gf in her "tank" has the other so she can always trundle to the rescue if need be
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Or keep the 2nd key in an inner pocket in your jacket (along with a 2nd set of house keys) in case of this or you lose them. Ebay has the lock + two keys for £35! (not bad if it works). Someone else posted they swapped the lock mech out for a new one and that worked a treat - I thought the keys were coded to the ECU - are they simply cut pieces of metal and no electronic coding?
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fun2scoot »

iceman wrote:Or keep the 2nd key in an inner pocket in your jacket
Or maybe drill a couple small holes in the bottom splash panel and zip-tie a spare on top. No one but you would know it's there and the ties can be cut with the razor blade duct taped under the fender.
iceman wrote:I thought the keys were coded to the ECU - are they simply cut pieces of metal and no electronic coding?
The keys are not coded.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ignition- ... 3aa709bd1a
Not original, but maybe ok to get cut to match your own?
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fun2scoot »

Might work. I'd like to hear from anyone who bought one, got it cut right and it worked, and, did not cause premature lock wear.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

worst case and you cannot get a spare or Honda want a lot of dsoh, a new lock and 2 keys costs £35 (Ebay).
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fun2scoot »

Too cool.
Maybe they'll have the 2015 lock soon for such a good price.
One can hope...
odisjohnson
Color: black

Post by odisjohnson »

You should go to the Locksmith, they will disable the one you lost and set up a new one. Right now if someone found the lost one they have your car! I think you will need the tag that was on the fob when you got it - my Locksmith told me to save that tag in a safe place.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

fun2scoot wrote:Not even a blank can be bought for the 2015 PCX.
A locksmith friend could also not get the blank - that unique head being essential.
Even the dealer discovered he could not order one.
You have to do things yourself if you want satisfaction, the blanks are available. I will order a couple and take to my local locksmith 8) put this to rest.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ho ... e&_sacat=0
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fun2scoot »

Honda corp. sent me two keys for free.
Comes with the bike purchase.
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by hondamatic »

I just picked up my 2017, and I got 2 keys and the metal tag. Someone posted they did get an owner's manual with theirs but I made a point to ask about it and they gave me one along with the keys. By the way, white is the color. I'll see if I can post a picture in another post.
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fun2scoot »

hondamatic wrote:I just picked up my 2017, and I got 2 keys and the metal tag. Someone posted they did get an owner's manual with theirs but I made a point to ask about it and they gave me one along with the keys. By the way, white is the color. I'll see if I can post a picture in another post.
Congrats! Best bike (for me) yet. Hope you find it safe and enjoyable. Welcome! ☺
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

hondamatic wrote:I just picked up my 2017, and I got 2 keys and the metal tag. Someone posted they did get an owner's manual with theirs but I made a point to ask about it and they gave me one along with the keys. By the way, white is the color. I'll see if I can post a picture in another post.
Congrats! The owners manual should come with every bike, especially a new one or one from a dealer.

Some people ask for an owners manual pdf on this forum - I assumed it was because they were in Thailand (for example) and needed an english manual or such.