Hi, new to the forum. I got a PCX 150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

The_Head

Hi, new to the forum. I got a PCX 150

Post by The_Head »

Hello,

I traded in my 2010 Elite 110 and got a PCX 150 this weekend. I've been on a quest for a few years now to find the perfect around town 2 wheeled vehicle and I think this is going to come pretty close.

A couple things I ike about it so far:

1. It's not assembled in China, the NHX110 is built in China
2. You can't hear the starter motor crank when you start it, it's very quiet (compared to the Elite).

Some minus' right off the bat for this scoot:

1. There's a hump instead of a flat floorboard, so you lose storage space there
2. The storage space under the seat is much less the the NHX110

It gets up to 40 mph pretty fast and I got it up to 60 on my test drive. I didn't want to go any further on the new engine. It's supposed to get better fuel mileage than the Elite. We'll see how it goes!

My past scooters: 2010 Elite 110, 1985 Elite 80, 1987 Elite 250, 2009 Zuma 125, 2008 Zuma 50, 2006 Elite 80
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Re: Hi, new to the forum. I got a PCX 150

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Are you in the US? Congratulations. It looks nice. What else do you miss about the Elite?
Which one seems to have better brakes and which one is more comfortable overall?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome, and congrats on your new scooter. :)

He's gotta be in the USA, his scooter has stalks for the turn signals! :P
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

And it's not raining...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The_Head wrote: A couple things I ike about it so far:

It's built in Thailand.
I reckon many of the PCX components will be made in China though.
The_Head wrote:2. You can't hear the starter motor crank when you start it, it's very quiet (compared to the Elite).
It doesn't have a conventional bendix starter motor, it uses the alternator as a direct drive starter.
The_Head wrote:Some minus' right off the bat for this scoot:

Roundabouts and swings, you get more enclosed waterproof storage under the seat by relocating the fuel tank to the "tunnel" between the rider's feet.
All the best (modern) scooter designs have "tunnels" because it also means the frame can pass through this area and be more rigid. ;)
The_Head wrote:2. The storage space under the seat is much less the the NHX110
The NHX110 rear wheel is much smaller and the bodywork is more bulbous which explains the difference.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Ishida

Post by Ishida »

The_Head wrote:Hello,

I traded in my 2010 Elite 110 and got a PCX 150 this weekend. I've been on a quest for a few years now to find the perfect around town 2 wheeled vehicle and I think this is going to come pretty close.
Lucky man, I´m a happy owner of a 2010 Elite 110 (known here in Brazil as "Lead 110") and I´m waiting for Honda Brazil to start selling the PCX150 here, they promissed to start selling it next april...

I don´t intend to trade my Elite for the PCX, but add the PCX to my garage just because of some things that you quoted here and some more...

- More cargo space (under the seat and on the floor)
- more agile because of it´s smaller distance between axis and smaller wheels
- parking brake lever
- plus, I´ve modded it a lot to be just the way I want.. so I want to keep it for the daily tasks and use the PCX for small trips..
gn2 wrote:
The_Head wrote: A couple things I ike about it so far:

It's built in Thailand.
I reckon many of the PCX components will be made in China though.
My NHX (and also the Brazilian PCX) is assembled in Brazil and due to brazilian laws it needs to have at least 20% of national parts... surely all the rest of the 80% non-brazilian parts will come from China.. lol..
gn2 wrote:
The_Head wrote:2. You can't hear the starter motor crank when you start it, it's very quiet (compared to the Elite).
It doesn't have a conventional bendix starter motor, it uses the alternator as a direct drive starter.
Yeap, but the NHX starter project has a worldwide trouble that makes it fail some times and other times makes a horrible sound... loooks like the bendix will jump out of the engine... and Honda has never assumed this failure...
gn2 wrote:
The_Head wrote:Some minus' right off the bat for this scoot:

Roundabouts and swings, you get more enclosed waterproof storage under the seat by relocating the fuel tank to the "tunnel" between the rider's feet.
All the best (modern) scooter designs have "tunnels" because it also means the frame can pass through this area and be more rigid. ;)
On the NHX the fuel tank is under the floor so you don´t loose storage neither under the seat nor between your legs.. I think it´s more smart ...
gn2 wrote:
The_Head wrote:2. The storage space under the seat is much less the the NHX110
The NHX110 rear wheel is much smaller and the bodywork is more bulbous which explains the difference.
that´s it... 10" rear wheel makes a lot of difference in storage space..
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking on its centerstand....looking proud 8) Rider safe & enjoy!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX Commuter
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by PCX Commuter »

Hi and welcome! I just got my PCX 150 at the start of the year. Agree with your storage issues. I'm coming from a Metropolitan and really missed the flat floorboard. Added a Givi rear trunk / top case and now feel like I can carry similar loads. Plus, my passengers feel more secure! I added a "How To" on the trunk installation in the forums, if you are interested.

I went back and forth between the Elite 110 and the PCX 150, but ultimately the PCX was the more refined machine IMHO. Looking forward to warmer weather and Spring here in Tennessee!
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX 150, 2002 Honda Metropolitan
Previously owned: 1978 Honda NC50
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I also had an Elite 110 and traded it in on the PCX 150. The Elite was much better in wind, the PCX seems like the wheels are going to blow out from under you when you get a crosswind.