Sad to replace my PCX with a bigger bike

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tonyarmstrong
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Black

Sad to replace my PCX with a bigger bike

Post by tonyarmstrong »

Hi. I have just bought a Honda NT700V to replace the PCX that I bought new last September. It was a hard decision as the PCX is almost perfect for the 15 mile commute on city streets (with a half mile leg on Interstate 75). I want to be able to ride more at weekends up in North Georgia and perhaps a trip or two to Nashville to visit family there. Unfortunately I can't afford the space or money to keep the PCX.
I know I will miss the relatively light weight and 97 miles per (US) gallon but feel it would be cruel to do too many long journeys on it at full throttle for a lot of the time. As a youngster I used to travel long distances in the UK on a BSA Bantam 175 and a Matchless 350cc single (which had a slower top speed than the PCX!) so I wonder if I am being too cautious about using the PCX for long journeys.

What do you think is the longest journey that the PCX could comfortably manage?

I'll also be sad to leave this forum. It is a wonderful source of support - useful information and interesting opinions from a group of people who are polite & respectful of each other.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Sad to replace my PCX with a bigger bike

Post by gn2 »

tonyarmstrong wrote:What do you think is the longest journey that the PCX could comfortably manage?
Jupiter and back.
Might take a while though.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I've done 200miles round trip on mine, and it was fine, but that is on UK roads where 50mph cruising on B roads is quick enough.
aka DrewJW
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

It can go as long as you can. The rpm limiter is set at 9600 rpms, so you'd have to run it without oil(or gas) to actually damage it.

Problem is, some people don't like riding on the highways at full throttle with no reserve power. Thus the need for a bigger bike.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We take our two pcx 150s to the mountains all the time. We have taken back roads from Atlanta to the Alabama border, up from there to Tennessee, across to North Carolina, down to South Carolina, and back home....all in one day.
A couple of days ago we took the bikes on I575 for 30 - 40 miles at full throttle. Then we took the back roads home. Did the trip hurt the bikes? I don't think so. We took them out last night for an evening ride for another 100 mile ride.

Would a bigger bike be better? Probably. But I traded my Burgman 400 for the PCX 150 because it is so much fun to ride locally. I traded down because 80% of our riding is back roads that have a speed limit of 55 mph and below. That is where the PCX shines.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pat Anderson
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by Pat Anderson »

PCX 150s can go on the freeway but secondary roads are better, somewhat slower speeds with some reserve acceleration just is safer and more comfortable. The Forza has quite a bit more reserve acceleration for the freeway but even then nothing like a larger MC. The PCX 150 seems to me actually to be a bit more nimble on secondary twisties than the Forza, but that may just be because I am a weenie rider. But I would not hesitate to ride either one all day long. I just took a 100 mile ride on the Forza, and if I had not needed to get back for lunch, I would have made it an all day ride. So I don't see any issue with how far or how long you ride either a PCX 150 or a Forza.
Pat & Patty Anderson
Birch Bay, WA
Red 2014 Forza 300 ABS (scoot is FOR SALE!)
White 2015 PCX150 (Pat's scoot)
Red 2013 PCX150 (Patty's scoot)
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

That's a huge jump going to a 700. I found them uncomfortably heavy and becomes more of a once in awhile weekend or road trip bike than an everyday commuter bike. Any reason you didn't choose say a CB300F? It's a little heavier but it feels no less nimble than my 125. The 300 will comfortable cruise at 70-75mph and hit top speeds of 90.

I ride my CBR 125R all day on city freeways. It will only comfortably cruise 55, sometimes it'll do 65 without having to tuck, sometimes 75 when I'm full in race tuck dropped down a gear, but I love it.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I used to commute on one of these:

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Love those Kawa 1000s. I commute on the PCX and one like this. When I switch from bike to bike, the PCX feels like a bicycle.
Attachments
kawasaki-kz1000-police+_JPG.jpg
kawasaki-kz1000-police+_JPG.jpg (253.46 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's completely different bike to the 1,000
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Well, they both have two wheels ...
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
pepito86
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by pepito86 »

Bash On! wrote:Well, they both have two wheels ...

and that's a bike on my book too... :)