Switch from sport bike to scooter?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

JetFalcon

Switch from sport bike to scooter?

Post by JetFalcon »

So my Ninja 650 I was riding on got totaled, but I will be getting a check from the other guy's insurance who hit me (thank god).

But anyways, if I buy another motorcycle, I am considering the scooter route. I tried the Burgman 400 and the Honda Forza and so far, the Forza is a bit small and feels like a toy, but the Burgman feels more secure and still has the nimble handling I want out of a scooter.

I am trying to debate if switching from a sport bike to scooter is right for me. Several reasons I found inconvenient of the sport bike.

There is no storage on the sport bike and little options for carrying stuff, except the super tiny passenger seat that needs be separated each time. Also shifting is a pain when in congested areas, it's nice to use when there's open road with no obstruction, but my commute can be in traffic and I don't like splitting lanes and shifting. Sport bike is heavy to balance when going slow in traffic and also when stopped at an incline or trying to park an incline. My female passenger will complain after 20-30 minutes of riding that her butt hurts and wants to go home.

I just feel scooter will be more convinient and alot easier to drive. When I test rode the Burgman 400, it was very relaxing and easy to ride. It was a little smaller, but it didn't feel too small where I was scared to go fast and I was able to get up to 80mph without thinking about it. Also no shifting so it was a breeze to drive. The storage is also great so I can carry a water bottle with me, and I think I can charge things too, so it has more conviniences like a car wher you can leave stuff in it. Sport bike has very little options to leave stuff in it, there are no compartments.

Ya it won't be as cool for those instagram photos, but then when I ride I don't see the bike so all I care is how I feel about the ride while I'm on it, not looking at it. Because I tried riding those supersport bikes like the GSXR 750 and it was very uncomfortable.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Switch from sport bike to scooter?

Post by Valiant »

Maybe check out the Honda CTX700N?

It doesn't have the underseat capacity of a maxi-scooter, but you can always install saddlebags and a top box if you're willing to spend money on that. If you don't lane split, the extra width shouldn't be a problem. DCT costs extra, but you get to run almost 700cc's with an automatic transmission.

I mention it because I suspect your comfort issue is due to the hunched riding position of sportbikes, and a cruiser might be more for you. The center of gravity is also very low, so it shouldn't be an issue to balance it, or even to pick it up off the ground if you drop it.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I have a Ninja650. If you commute in traffic, a scooter is vastly superior for ease of handling and wind/ weather protection. Any bike will quite often benefit from a trunk. The New Burgman is very nice but the Forza is cheaper and better on gas. My PCX does not feel like a toy on the highway so I'm sure you quickly get used to the Forza's wind manners.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Valiant suggested a CTX700N.

The CTX also has a scooter-like integrated storage compartment where the "fuel tank" is (the real one is elsewhere).
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Bash On! wrote:Valiant suggested a CTX700N.

The CTX also has a scooter-like integrated storage compartment where the "fuel tank" is (the real one is elsewhere).
There is no "real one" (storage compartment) on the CTX700. The only storage is that little cubby by the fuel input. You may be thinking of the NC700 that has a nice storage compartment in front of the seat.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi JetFalcon! Welcome to our forums :) Happy for you that you are okay! Always a Good Thing to read!

I have two links to share with you on the two Honda's mentioned above. See for yourself what they can and can't do, also how they are equipped :D (I read that storage was in question)

The 2015 CTX700 and CTX700 DCT/ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/2015/ctx700/options.aspx

The 2015 NC700X and NC700X DCT/ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/2015/nc700x/options.aspx

OR.....you might like the Look of the All New "Dark One" :D
The NM4 DCT/ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/nm4.aspx
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

WhiteNoise wrote:The NM4 DCT/ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/nm4.aspx
Trying to scare them away first post :lol:
caseybea
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by caseybea »

I recently 'upgraded' from an '82 Honda CM450E (cruiser bike) to my PCX 150. While initially the scooter is indeed small, I find it quite nimble and a freaking blast to ride. I wanted something easy- small- light - - quiet - super fuel efficient - and the PCX meets all of that. While a slightly larger bike would have worked, I couldn't afford those, and they're a bit bigger than I wanted now. But they ARE nice......
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

The Forza feels small? I'm 6'-1" and thought it was a very good size for me.

What's your price range first of all?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Forza needs a different seat with less of a forward bucket.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I got the CTX 700N DCT. I added a rear carrier and dry bag to hold my stuff. The bag holds lots of stuff! The DCT transmission is different then the CVT. It actually shifts.
20150411_165937.jpg
20150411_165937.jpg (361.91 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
20150412_155827.jpg
20150412_155827.jpg (232.98 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

dkazzed wrote: What's your price range first of all?
Doesn't seem relevant with regards to the bikes in discussion IMO.

Assuming he's looking at a brand new Burgman 400 with an MSRP of $7999, the other picks are quite similar pricing wise.

I brought up the CTX700 because his former bike was a Ninja 650, I figure a step down to 400 might feel like a considerable downgrade in power. Given the similar price point of the two, I'd put up with the lack of storage to have considerably more power with much of the same features(ABS, automatic transmission, weight, size). You might even say the storage space is the only pro to the Burgman for what you pay.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

The CTX700N DCT Rocks! I'm having a blast on it. Also I have plenty of storage with my dry bag. The cubby hold by the gas tank can only carry a pair of sun glasses and papers.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I think the scooter excels at commuting especially if you are in a suit coat and dress pants. :lol:

I rode the Burgman 400 once a few years back and my friend's Yamaha Majesty 400 quite a bit. He is 6'4" and the Majesty is near tops for big dudes on 300-400cc scooters IMO. It is powerful and fast (105 mph). Test ride one if you can.... I still find most of our dealerships allow test rides with a copy of your motorcycle endorsed license.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

I have both. Scooters and motorcycles are so vastly different that I can't live with just one.

The scooter is way more functional from a storage and a parking perspective, but incapable of going on the freeway. I use the scooter to commute, run errands, or when I'm on vacation and want to bring 2-wheels with me.

The motorcycle is way more functional if I'm going more than 30 miles or need to go on the highway. I can bring the PCX on vacation, but I can more easily take a vacation on my V-strom, which has been its main use.

Both my bikes are INCREDIBLY comfortable. I have aftermarket seats, and would rather sit on my motorcycles than my couch. I've had 700+ mile days on both motorcyles and my PCX, and enjoyed every minute of both. The latter just was a LOT longer a day. :lol:

If I had to pick one, I'd either pick the NC700x or the Forza (or maybe pick up a Reflex to save money). Either are between my V-Strom and the PCX, so I don't think you'd go wrong with the Forza.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

sendler2112 wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:The NM4 DCT/ABS: http://powersports.honda.com/nm4.aspx
Trying to scare them away first post :lol:
Yikes! Maybe I did. He hasn't come back yet :| Where are ya JetFalcon? Please, forget that I mentioned the NM4! Pick one of the others :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mr Elbows
Color: Red

Post by Mr Elbows »

If you want a scooter that goes as fast as a motorcycle without the annoying gear shifting, I hear the BMW C 600 would be an excellent choice. Preferably the 2013 model. I was watching Youtube videos about it, and that thing freakin flys! The main turnoff about that scooter is the big price tag. Especially for what the used 2013 models are still going for. But I think I'm in love with it and just may end up saving up for that instead of a Forza now.
Red 2013 Honda PCX 150 - very first scooter as of [2/12/15]
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I hear a lot of complaints about electrical gremlins coming from those BMW scooters in true German fashion.

What's so annoying about gear shifting? :) Ok I admit I sometimes miss the simplicity of twist and go, but given that I'm only allowed one bike at this time, I chose to go with a motorcycle.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I hate commenting after everyone else has commented because it feels like showboating to get attention...but i had a Burgman 400 and loved it. My wife and I rode everywhere on it and when she was not riding her own pcx she was riding as my passenger on the 400. She loved it because it was so comfortable and we could ride 2 up on the freeway easily. I added a tailbox so that we could even go grocery shopping on it. I could put 5 grocery bags on that bike, between under the seat (which handles 2 full size helmets) and the large (2 helmets also) tailbox. Even though i purchased my Burgman used it was in excellent condition because Burgman owners love their machines and treat them unbelievably nice. I was a member of the Burgmanusa forum and the members would go out of their way to help each other, including giving spare parts to those who might need them. Mine was a 2006 but only had 2 miles on it when i purchased it in 2012, so there are deals to be had if you are willing to look. Just remember that if you use Craigslist, bring someone with you. When I traded mine in the dealer found a good home for it for a good price. A dealer is the best way to buy one, new or used.

i only traded it in because we found that most of our riding was around town now, and the pcx is the best scooter you can buy for intown riding.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers