Forza seat piston

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Forza seat piston

Poll ended at Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:55 pm

My seat piston has failed me and needs repair under warranty
67%
My seat has failed and was repaired under warranty
8%
My seat is fine
25%

Total votes: 12

Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Forza seat piston

Post by Monty1952 »

Vote on status of your Forza seat.
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Forza seat piston

Post by speedandstyle »

By "piston" I assume you mean the strut that holds the seat up when open. I also assume that your's has failed.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

16,000 miles on my Forza, seat has been opened at least twice most days in the last 18 months, lifter works perfectly.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

speedandstyle wrote:By "piston" I assume you mean the strut that holds the seat up when open. I also assume that your's has failed.
Yes, it just seems most people refer to it as a piston - even in the Honda dealership!
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

Mine has not worked since day one. I was going to write it of as a pain in the neck poor design but since I have to go in for the fuel pump recall I will ask the dealer to address it then. Honestly though the fuel pump recall with all the horror stories of damaged panels concerns me more, makes me afraid to bring the bike in for any repair, much less a repair of a defective recalled part.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

Atis wrote:Mine has not worked since day one. I was going to write it of as a pain in the neck poor design but since I have to go in for the fuel pump recall I will ask the dealer to address it then. Honestly though the fuel pump recall with all the horror stories of damaged panels concerns me more, makes me afraid to bring the bike in for any repair, much less a repair of a defective recalled part.
Make sure they know your coming in for the seat as well as its likely they have to order the component in. Most places don't keep in stock.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Mine hasn't failed (4800 miles) but it is "weak"...won't hold the seat open against a light wind.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

gn2 wrote:16,000 miles on my Forza, seat has been opened at least twice most days in the last 18 months, lifter works perfectly.
Actually that should have read at least four times a day.
Going by my Fuelly records I have used my scooter at least 300 days, so the seat has been opened a minimum of 1200 times.
Estimating opening duration, at roughly ten minutes a day, the seat has stayed open for around fifty hours.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

gn2 wrote:
gn2 wrote:16,000 miles on my Forza, seat has been opened at least twice most days in the last 18 months, lifter works perfectly.
Actually that should have read at least four times a day.
Going by my Fuelly records I have used my scooter at least 300 days, so the seat has been opened a minimum of 1200 times.
Estimating opening duration, at roughly ten minutes a day, the seat has stayed open for around fifty hours.
Consider yourself lucky - go buy a lottery ticket!
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

seat strut/piston is useless.
Bigboss242

Post by Bigboss242 »

Mine hasn't worked since day one I always thought that was how it was supposed to be.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

So 9 votes is not statistically relevant really but 2/3 have or had problems. With it not really being a safety factor I am not sure Honda will rush to a global recall. In some countries the recall law requirements are not just safety driven so you may see some recalls but not globally.
I know in a few weeks I will be cursing the seat again when I put the battery back in and the piece of wood I use to keep the seat fully open falls causing the seat to fall on me yet again! I have warranty (second on seat) repair booked for April. If you exclude the non riding winter months that will be 4 warranty repairs in 4 months.
Out of interest I look at several other brand forums and it seems scooters period do have their share of problems. Google recalls for the major models out there and there is not a brand that escapes issuing some.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

I can tell you that it isn't just the Forza's strut that has problems. The one on my 2006 Burgman 400 doesn't work that great. I have to pull the seat all the way up or it won't hold. It also does not like the cold{which makes sense because it is hydraulic}.

An option to waiting on Honda is to simply replace it yourself. There are many affordable struts out there. The trick is finding one with the correct specs{compressed length, uncompressed length, strength, mounts}.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

I was doing a few things on my Forza today and put the battery back in for a few hours. While doing that the freakin seat fell on me several times and turned what should have been 5 minutes effort into 20 eventually. 10 below freezing in our underground parking and I was cursing Honda and that crazily designed seat! The seat designer must have been hammered on Sake
the day he put that piece of poop into production. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

speedandstyle wrote:I can tell you that it isn't just the Forza's strut that has problems. The one on my 2006 Burgman 400 doesn't work that great. I have to pull the seat all the way up or it won't hold.
Not sure about the burger, but the Forza seat is only supposed to stay open in the fully raised position.
pruddell
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: White

Post by pruddell »

My seat will stay up by itself - just - provided that there is no wind and I'm parked on flat ground. I'm not happy about it and have complained to my dealer. I was advised to leave it and see what developed.
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

pruddell wrote:My seat will stay up by itself - just - provided that there is no wind and I'm parked on flat ground. I'm not happy about it and have complained to my dealer. I was advised to leave it and see what developed.
I was shown the Honda dealer notice on this by my dealer mechanic. Slightly lengthy but bottom line, the dealers are instructed to only repair under warranty (or request warranty repair parts) when the seat will not stay open at the top. The fact that they issued a notice on the specific topic simply tells us they know it's a big problem and a defective design. Because they know it's not something that is dangerous during riding let's them off the hook for a full recall.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
Forza 300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Forza 300 »

SteveP wrote:Mine hasn't failed (4800 miles) but it is "weak"...won't hold the seat open against a light wind.
Mine was like that when new ,wait until you try it in cold weather or if the bike sat outside for the night in cold weather around 0 -8 celsius the seat will fall and hit you in the head. To me it fails if it doesn't hold the seat up in light wind ,after all the scooter was designed to be used outside.

Don
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mine stays up in windy conditions when the temperature is below freezing.
It lives outside uncovered.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

AAh...maybe the seat piston was designed by an Aberdonian in Aberdeen?...that would explain it...works in the freezing cold and windy!!.... :lol: