Biggest Tire.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Drifter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13
Color: red

Biggest Tire.

Post by Drifter »

What is the biggest tire you can put on a pcx, show pics if you have any. Bigger tire should increase MPG a little and add stability. Mine moves all over the road when its not that windy! My other 2 step through scooters did not move around near this much! The motorcycle is night and day different!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Biggest Tire.

Post by Valiant »

Check this thread:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3518

From what I can tell, homie lost both mph and mpg. You need to remember that this is a 153cc engine(maybe less if you have the 125 model), and it can't easily compensate for that added weight. I'd also imagine it takes more power to spin a larger tire, even if they're the same weight.

The PCX is also quite a bit wider and bigger than other step through scooters, so the wind thing isn't surprising, though I personally don't have much of an issue unless I'm going faster than 60 mph. Ride in a ninja tuck :D !
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

got all the speed back plus some with a simple hundred dollar kit, and fuel will never be 4 dollars a gallon again :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRc9g3Dasw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EQ6MHoIYAo
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Drifter »

What is the size and brand of tire you used?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Drifter wrote:What is the size and brand of tire you used?
Here ya go friend... be sure to understand your speedometer will show a couple mph slower than actual speed. Your top end speed will drop 4-5 mph and that probably will not set well with you so next you will need a kit for your CVT to get back the speed plus 4 mph. In the end you can expect 69 mph downhill with big tires and a variator performance kit on 2015pcx. See Scooterman for earlier model mods. Total cost of riding big tires fast 250.00
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

In the end, what were the clear benefits of installing a bigger tire?

Wouldn't another PCX with smaller tires and the same vario mods go faster?

I did some more highway riding at 68 mph with my current mods and never really encountered the mentioned stability issues. Only time I ever had problems was with some vicious crosswinds, but I can usually counter-steer into that.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Valiant wrote:In the end, what were the clear benefits of installing a bigger tire?
Wouldn't another PCX with smaller tires and the same vario mods go faster?
Looks sharp 8) rubber to road feels awesome with big Miche's and of course if I put my stock tires back on at this point it would go super nimble and as fast as others with NCY kits installed. Basically I wanted the big rubber look and no loss of factory speed and that was achieved with help from members here. But I would have trouble moving back into stock tires sizes so don't do it for speed :lol:
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Drifter »

Do you have a side pic of the tires installed? That is quite a bit more rubber and weight! Did you weigh the tires before mounting to see the diff? How much taller are the ones shown?

I live on flat Florida ground, no worries about hills, except the ones fire ants build! Nasty critters!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Drifter wrote:Do you have a side pic of the tires installed? That is quite a bit more rubber and weight! Did you weigh the tires before mounting to see the diff? How much taller are the ones shown?
They look much smaller after mounting, the rims pull them in considerably. I think you add 3 lbs each so you have to lose 6 pounds. Lay off the cheese puffs and call it a wash :lol:
Attachments
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (247.85 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (242.15 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
front2.jpg
front2.jpg (255.53 KiB) Viewed 6493 times
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Drifter »

Front looks bigger, cant tell much on the rear. Does the wind blow you around any less now? How many MPG did you lose do they ride better, meaning smoother over bumps? They look better than the skinny tires for sure!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Drifter wrote:Front looks bigger, cant tell much on the rear. Does the wind blow you around any less now? How many MPG did you lose do they ride better, meaning smoother over bumps? They look better than the skinny tires for sure!
Considerably bigger rear tire! Winter grounded me shortly after my mods so I don't have accurate mpg but I will speculate from others and what little I did see upper 70's maybe lower 80's miles per gallon. Plan on losing 20 miles per gallon with a 150 and large tires... those spindly stock tires are going to be why you get 100+ mpg. If you are fuel thrifty don't fatten up 8)
Last edited by homie on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
Drifter wrote:Front looks bigger, cant tell much on the rear. Does the wind blow you around any less now? How many MPG did you lose do they ride better, meaning smoother over bumps? They look better than the skinny tires for sure!
Considerably bigger rear tire! Winter grounded me shortly after my mods so I don't have accurate mpg but I will speculate from others and what little I did see upper 70's maybe lower 80's miles per gallon. Plan on losing 20 miles per gallon with a 150 and large tires... those spindly stock tires are going to be why you get 100+ mpg. If you are fuel thrifty don't fatten up 8)

I am. I'd like to leave some for someone else.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

we save a ton of fuel by riding the scooter ;)
forza300
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Biggest Tire. (and also 100/120 variation)

Post by forza300 »

I have read somewhere that you can fit 100 front and 120 rear but I can't find any manufacturers that do this size for the pcx.

I want some middle ground (nimble, similar speed, bit larger tyre) and 100/120 seems to me a fair compromise rather than 120/140 which is still an option.

Does anyone know who makes 100/120 section tyres for the PCX?

Beers!
------------------------
forza300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by forza300 »

PS... after seeing in the flesh the semi-matt pearly-white pcx150 is AWE....... SUMMMM.
------------------------
zenjoseph
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by zenjoseph »

Irc Wings Premium have that sizes.
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017

Post by GlassMan »

Hey Homie, where did you pick up your tires ? Cant find much around CHI -TOWN
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GlassMan wrote:Hey Homie, where did you pick up your tires ? Cant find much around CHI -TOWN
motorcycle superstore http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/60 ... aQod6zIAmQ
Attachments
tire2.JPG
tire2.JPG (269.34 KiB) Viewed 6016 times
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017

Post by GlassMan »

Thanks Homie,thinking of going the same route. Love the look! Comparison pic is awsome.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GlassMan wrote:Thanks Homie,thinking of going the same route. Love the look! Comparison pic is awsome.
The narrow rims on the PCX will pull the HUGE appearance of an un-mounted tire in considerably. I've dropped back tire pressure for front and rear about 4-psi each recently from the suggested and found a more comfortable ride for my weight and cargo. Remember you will sacrifice 4 mph top end and your speedometer will be off 2 mph to a GPS if you use that size Michelin tire one your PCX.