Fuel Stabilizers

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Fuel Stabilizers

Post by Scottish »

If your bike is sitting dormant at what point should you be adding fuel stabilizer?
Also is there any brand thats specifically good for the PCX?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Fuel Stabilizers

Post by DAB »

Don't bother.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13
Color: red

Post by Drifter »

Yes Yes and Yes, ethanol will jell and absorb water over time. Known Fact!! My lawn tractor, new cub cadet sat for 3 months...wont run had to remove and clean the carb i forgot......! There are 27 diff. blends of gas used in the US some better than others....ask yourself is peace of mind worth a couple ozs of stabil?

I have done this same thing on several motorcycles, 4 wheelers etc. Ethanol is a total SCAM! o_O

What works is Marine sta bil. Startron. I have used both MARINE sta-bil is the best.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yes but always use brand new gas. You can't refresh old gas in the bike. Drain it. I use both Marine Sta-Bil (stabilizer) and Seafoam (fuel build-up solvent) all year round. They do different things. I have used them for many years w/o issue including an airplane engine for hundreds of hours.

My sister-in-law is a retired chemist from one of the giant refineries near me (Shell) and says even the refineries use stabilizers (chemicals like Sta-Bil) at times for their own storage (she mentioned toluene). She is a big proponent and says there are many additives in gas for all kinds of things right from the refinery but not these two mainly because of cost.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

From BP .....
Attachments
storage_life_fuel.pdf
(80.32 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Oil is stabilizing at about $67 a barrel (crude). That is near perfect for the market. Hopefully, it stays in the mid 60s to 70s for quite a while.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Scottish wrote:If your bike is sitting dormant at what point should you be adding fuel stabilizer?
Also is there any brand thats specifically good for the PCX?

Depends on your personality really.

I've got a bike that has three year old supermarket fuel in it. Still works perfectly.

Put some in. You wouln't know if it's worked or it hasn't but you might feel better
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

The way my brother proved the value of Sta-Bil and Seafoam is that he collects chainsaws for the trees on his farm. (I know he should get a life) He has four Poulan cheapies that are all the same model. He chose the two newest ones not to treat at all but he treats the other six with both products. Within two years both untreated Poulan's would no longer even idle. (carbureted Kymco scooters are notorious for this). He took them apart. The reason is the small passageways/jets clog up with varnish/gum from the fuel aging. One he cleaned and reassembled and it ran fine again. The other he treated with a strong tank mixed of Seafoam alone w/o cleaning. Both run perfectly again.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

About a week ago I started a 1100 Yamaha for the first time, in what I thought was 2 years. Worked fine and ticked over perfectly. Just checked when I last filled it, 28/3/2012. :o
Other rides
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DAB wrote:About a week ago I started a 1100 Yamaha for the first time, in what I thought was 2 years. Worked fine and ticked over perfectly. Just checked when I last filled it, 28/3/2012. :o

Eggsflippinsacterly
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

U.S. Fuel must be different to euro fuel. The stuff here has to be years old before it goes off.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Sta-Bil in fresh fuel .
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

I filled it up, put Stabil in it, and also 2oz's of Lucas injector cleaner. Probably won't ride it until March

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

What's wrong with starting them up for a few minutes once a week, I really miss being able to throttle up even if I can't go out in the snow :( Then do I have to put weird stuff through my fuel injector system?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:What's wrong with starting them up for a few minutes once a week, I really miss being able to throttle up even if I can't go out in the snow :( Then do I have to put weird stuff through my fuel injector system?

Nope. For once we are with you Homie and you aren't paranoid :D
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:What's wrong with starting them up for a few minutes once a week, I really miss being able to throttle up even if I can't go out in the snow :( Then do I have to put weird stuff through my fuel injector system?

That's my plan. Start it up periodically.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Holy hindered phenols. No chemistry majors here? You know what happens to bread w/o preservatives - especially with a lot of moisture. You can still eat it. :P Why is it so hard to believe that gas can oxidize slowly too? Gas stabilizers work by stabilizing otherwise unstable aromatic hydrocarbons. Ever smell old gas - it sours? Gum and varnish in gas are oxidized hydrocarbons that turn into something else. Sta-Bil really works but it only slows the oxidation process down from a few months to 12-15 or so. I think I currently own a few dozens different engines and keeping up with all of them to be run every few months and have the fuel refreshed with new fuel isn't practical. ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

SECoda wrote:Holy hindered phenols. No chemistry majors here? You know what happens to bread w/o preservatives - especially with a lot of moisture. You can still eat it. :P Why is it so hard to believe that gas can oxidize slowly too? Gas stabilizers work by stabilizing otherwise unstable aromatic hydrocarbons. Ever smell old gas - it sours? Gum and varnish in gas are oxidized hydrocarbons that turn into something else. Sta-Bil really works but it only slows the oxidation process down from a few months to 12-15 or so. I think I currently own a few dozens different engines and keeping up with all of them to be run every few months and have the fuel refreshed with new fuel isn't practical. ;)
all right... I'll go buy some shit and stick it in there, but you clowns better not mess up my putt
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

Steph wrote:
you you wrote:

That's my plan. Start it up periodically.
If you want to put stabiliser in ok, won't do any damage, but it is not necessary. If you regularly start the bike, don't forget to charge the battery as starting uses a lot of power which will not be replace by just running it a few minutes.
Other rides
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

jkautz wrote:I filled it up, put Stabil in it, and also 2oz's of Lucas injector cleaner. Probably won't ride it until March
Don't you ride all year in California? :o
Other rides