Scoot won't start...Please Help

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dmiles13

Scoot won't start...Please Help

Post by dmiles13 »

Hello All,

So scoot hasn't been ridden in a few weeks and now it won't start. I attempted to hook up trickle charger to battery but can't access the battery. There doesn't seem to be any visible screw to loosen the hatch. Please help!

Thank you!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Scoot won't start...Please Help

Post by GeorgeSK »

I asked that question once...

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... t=+battery

Easy once you see the picture that Maddiedog put in about twelve posts down.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
dmiles13

Post by dmiles13 »

Thanks George! That was easy. Do I have to remove the battery from its compartment or can I connect the charger to it where it sits? Sorry for the dumb question, but this is a first. My Vstar had a plug that just attached to the charger.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

u can connect it staight to where it sits...just don't hook it up backwards if you do it that way. I do it on the bike/car all the time.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

dmiles13 - how old is your bike? do you use idle-stop a lot (if the 2013 version onwards?) - people indicate the original battery if a good one should last many years and go a month or so without charging.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

You can charge the battery without removing it.

I recommend an Optimate charger. If you're going to leave the scooter sit for more than a week unused, attack the charger leads and just let the charger plugged in to trickle charge the battery.

I've owned several charger / maintainers, and this one is the best in my opinion. I've even revived a couple of sulfated batteries using it.

http://www.amazon.com/OptiMate-5-batter ... B004PPXZJ4
'88 BMW R100RT
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Thanks for that, been looking around for a good charger and this seems to be suitable for car batteries as well as bikes. Odd the PCX battery needs charging so often, people have stated theirs lasts for ages when not in use without the need for a top-up.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

By the way, there are several generations of Optimate chargers out there, and I think they all work about the same. I think mine is the 3 or 4, can't remember. I'd find the one you can get the best deal on, i.e. I wouldn't worry about buying the latest 6th gen unit if I could get the 4th gen for $20 less.

I've found over the years that motorcycle batteries are far more fragile than auto batteries. Probably makes sense since the car batteries are many times larger and hence have a lot more reserve capacity.

Small batteries like the ones in our PCX will punish you if neglected. One of the biggest mistakes motorcycle owners make is just parking the bike in the garage for extended periods. Winter, for example. A sure way to end up buying another battery in spring.

You can easily get a small SAE connector and attach it to the battery terminals on the PCX. Then, anytime you are going to leave the scoot for an extended time, just plug in the Optimate. It will charge it to the proper level automatically and then shut down into monitor mode until the battery needs charged again.

Connector:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08 ... B000NCOKZQ
'88 BMW R100RT
riderthailand
Year: 2014
Color: Grey

Post by riderthailand »

The battery especially on the old PCX's need replacement every year or so. The new models have improved.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

riderthailand wrote:The battery especially on the old PCX's need replacement every year or so. The new models have improved.
Prob due to idle stop and rougher roads. Heat and vibration kill batteries, along with frequent discharging (using idle stop feature). My 2015 has a larger battery that is 2lbs heavier to compensate, and yet still the USA model doesn't even have idle stop. Honda prob just didn't want to source an 2nd battery and design two different battery box covers or boxes for such a limited US market. I ordered a Li Ion battery for "Scooter USA Parts" for about $62 shipped. Already run one in my 2015 PCX, and had to re-order a 2nd one since I took it out of my 2013 to put in the new scoot. I can definitely feel the weight difference of the 12lbs or so I've removed when I sit on the bike and tilt it side to side. That 12lbs up a 4-6 degree grade at full throttle could mean an additional mph! I'll take what I can get. =)
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

"The battery especially on the old PCX's need replacement every year or so."

Bullshit.

Batteries don't like lots of starting and short journeys.
The battery on my 2010 PCX was left uncharged and the scooter left uncovered outdoors and not started for periods of up to three months in freezing winter temperatures and always started first time for the three years I owned it.
Maybe that's because it hardly ever did any journeys of less than ten miles and the idle stop didn't kick in unless it was on a 27 mile journey and even then it was less than a handful of times per trip.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
little_mouse25
Year: 2009

Post by little_mouse25 »

Hello,

I've been having a similar problem - I was away for 4 days and my Honda PCX 125 would't start... It ignites, the lights go on (so I can see the panel) but that's about it. It just wouldn't start, it sits quiet. I do however have to say that when I tried it the first time, there was a noise that indicated it's about to jump but then nothing. When I tried to start it again and again, sometimes the dashboard would just go into yellow so I wouldn't see the display. This happened twice. I suspect it might be the battery, after reading all previous posts. Or what do you reckon? I park it outside and I live on 2nd floor so I don't know how I'd charge it unless I took it to the garage which I'm trying to avoid for obvious financial reasons (unless of course I'd find the battery, took it out and charge it in my flat). The thing is, I'm a girl and am happy to leave my bike to get repaired as I don't even know where I'd start but still, I wanted to see if there's anything I could do to get it started and working again myself. I live in London, commute on it every day, 8 miles each way. Thank you.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Hello. Is it still under warranty? If it is I'm sure you get breakdown cover with it. I did anyway.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I use a battery tender on mine and have those leads permanently attached like kcpcx pointed out. If your battery goes completely dead while the bike is sitting outside, you CAN jump start it from a car, though it isn't recommended. I have jump started several scooters. The best way to jump start them though is with a battery pack that most motorcycle shops have. Also, if you live outside of the United States you probably have an idle-stop switch. If you don't ride very far but use the switch a lot you will run your battery down. It takes about 10 miles of riding to recharge a battery back to what it was before you started it initially. When you start the engine it takes a bit out of the battery. If you drain it over and over without giving it an opportunity to recharge, it won't take long before it just doesn't have enough left in it to turn over the engine, even if it can turn on the lights.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
little_mouse25

Post by little_mouse25 »

Alibally wrote:Hello. Is it still under warranty? If it is I'm sure you get breakdown cover with it. I did anyway.
Hello, it is no longer under warranty unfortunately. I called my garage and they confirmed it's definitely the battery. I just saw a video of how to remove the battery - please would you be able to recommend what do I need to buy in order to recharge it at home? Thank you.
little_mouse25

Post by little_mouse25 »

Mel46 wrote:I use a battery tender on mine and have those leads permanently attached like kcpcx pointed out. If your battery goes completely dead while the bike is sitting outside, you CAN jump start it from a car, though it isn't recommended. I have jump started several scooters. The best way to jump start them though is with a battery pack that most motorcycle shops have. Also, if you live outside of the United States you probably have an idle-stop switch. If you don't ride very far but use the switch a lot you will run your battery down. It takes about 10 miles of riding to recharge a battery back to what it was before you started it initially. When you start the engine it takes a bit out of the battery. If you drain it over and over without giving it an opportunity to recharge, it won't take long before it just doesn't have enough left in it to turn over the engine, even if it can turn on the lights.
Hi Mel46, I can't jump start it from a car as I don't have one. Would you be able to recommend what exactly do I need to buy to be able to recharge it at home? I don't use idle-stop anymore as it died on me at traffic lights once and I'm too afraid to risk it even though I had the bike fully serviced recently. I just saw a video of how to remove the battery so I am now confident I could do it myself having the right equipment but I have no idea what I need to get. On this forum I came across the battery tender but how do I connect that to the power? Sorry - I may seem very blonde here but truly this is very new to me and I'm keen to get it sorted without having to pay recovery team to take my bike to the garage which I would have to pay for. I'd rather buy the battery charge kit and have it handy should anything similar happen again. Thank you.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Get one of these.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorc ... 5-amp#tab3

Take the battery out and charge it inside. Should have full instructions.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Do you mainly use the tender in the winter? I am tired of replacing dead (shorted) fairly new batteries from lack of use - especially in my ATV's.
Mel46 wrote:I use a battery tender on mine and have those leads permanently attached like kcpcx pointed out. If your battery goes completely dead while the bike is sitting outside, you CAN jump start it from a car, though it isn't recommended. I have jump started several scooters. The best way to jump start them though is with a battery pack that most motorcycle shops have. Also, if you live outside of the United States you probably have an idle-stop switch. If you don't ride very far but use the switch a lot you will run your battery down. It takes about 10 miles of riding to recharge a battery back to what it was before you started it initially. When you start the engine it takes a bit out of the battery. If you drain it over and over without giving it an opportunity to recharge, it won't take long before it just doesn't have enough left in it to turn over the engine, even if it can turn on the lights.
little_mouse25

Post by little_mouse25 »

DAB wrote:Get one of these.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorc ... 5-amp#tab3

Take the battery out and charge it inside. Should have full instructions.
Hi Dab, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! It looks like that is exactly what I need! I will let you know how I got on!
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

I use a tender when a bike will be parked for more than a week or two, unridden.
'88 BMW R100RT