The scoot I came from

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

The scoot I came from

Post by fish »

This was my entry scooter....
With the lighted Bestem box on my 2012 Kymco LIKE200iLX. (the Bestem more than doubles these lights when you touch the brakes)
I learned a lot about servicing scooters with this little fellow.
Rebuilt seat, Belt, Dr Pulleys, shocks, brakes, battery, Iridiums, Michelins, crash bars, mirrors, oils, etc. Not so much because it needed anything...I just like taking things apart and making them better. Hopefully. Put 7000 miles on it the first yr.

With the stock box..
Yes, I ride 365 in Ohio if the road is mostly clear!
(the LIKE is fuel injected so it started perfectly for a 0 degrees F. ride one morning)

Ride safe folks.
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: The scoot I came from

Post by gn2 »

A very nice example of what I call a Taiwalian scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:A very nice example of what I call a Taiwalian scooter.
Thanks. Kymco makes most of them in Taiwan....but these LIKES were priced dropped by several hunded $.... and are now made in their plant in China. I've been all through the guts of this thing. It is pretty well constructed!
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My question is going to be rather obvious, I think. Chinese built scooters are not known for their quality. Taiwan is NOT part of mainland China and has no intention of ever going peacefully. Taiwan makes good quality items. How was it possible for the Taiwanese scooter to be assembled in mainland China and still maintain its quality rating, especially since Red China would love to destroy Taiwan in any way it can, including dumping its quality rating into the toilet?? Of course, China doesn't even have to try to mess up good quality. Their quality sucks already.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

??????????????
Last edited by you you on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

you you wrote:
Mel46 wrote:My question is going to be rather obvious, I think. Chinese built scooters are not known for their quality. Taiwan is NOT part of mainland China and has no intention of ever going peacefully. Taiwan makes good quality items. How was it possible for the Taiwanese scooter to be assembled in mainland China and still maintain its quality rating, especially since Red China would love to destroy Taiwan in any way it can??

Pardon?

I have a Korean car that blows my Toyota, Jag, BMW and Peugeot onto the long grass in terms of quality, design and engineering. Engineering standards and design haven't a lot to do with jingoism any more

Newer things are generally better
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, I agree about Korean items. They are great. It is mainland China that I am talking about. As far a Korean items go, I have 2 Hyundai cars and love them both. I would buy another one if the opportunity presented itself too. But mainland China has had so many recalls on their products and foods that many stores will not sell them. Of the many, many Chinese products that I have bought, most fall apart within 6 months, which is OK if I just need the item for short term use. But if I needed a GOOD tool, I won't buy it a Harbor Freight.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:How was it possible for the Taiwanese scooter to be assembled in mainland China and still maintain its quality rating
Because Kymco based in the Republic of China situated on the island of Taiwan has its own manufacturing facilities located in mainland China.

"In 1993, KYMCO started to expand our manufacturing site to Mainland China and Indonesia."

Source: http://www.kymco.com/about/production_q ... ontrol.asp

Kymco are not alone in locating manufacturing facilities in mainland China, you would be amazed at what gets made there....

http://world.honda.com/group/China/
https://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/network/china_e.html
http://www.cccme.org.cn/shop/cccme3719/index.aspx
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... /0416.html
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Yes, I agree about Korean items. They are great. It is mainland China that I am talking about. As far a Korean items go, I have 2 Hyundai cars and love them both. I would buy another one if the opportunity presented itself too. But mainland China has had so many recalls on their products and foods that many stores will not sell them. Of the many, many Chinese products that I have bought, most fall apart within 6 months, which is OK if I just need the item for short term use. But if I needed a GOOD tool, I won't buy it a Harbor Freight.

OK, fair enough. I don't know what it's like in the USA. Over here we don't have any really obvious Chinese goods unless you read the label

We have Great Wall pickups which are the most obvious vehicles. TBH they look pretty good if you are into that kind of thing.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:How was it possible for the Taiwanese scooter to be assembled in mainland China and still maintain its quality rating
Because Kymco based in the Republic of China situated on the island of Taiwan has its own manufacturing facilities located in mainland China.

"In 1993, KYMCO started to expand our manufacturing site to Mainland China and Indonesia."

Source: http://www.kymco.com/about/production_q ... ontrol.asp

Kymco are not alone in locating manufacturing facilities in mainland China, you would be amazed at what gets made there....

http://world.honda.com/group/China/
https://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/network/china_e.html
http://www.cccme.org.cn/shop/cccme3719/index.aspx
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... /0416.html
It's only a matter of time until Harleys (oops, bit of sick in my mouth) aren't made in the USA

Oh is it happening already :lol:
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

There's loads of American brands made in China. Apple products for instance. The quality of them is excellent.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

The quality of Chinese made products is determined by who runs the factory and who the products are made for. The crappy quality products mostly come from state run factories! These build most of the cheap products that have flooded the American market. But there are some privately owned companies in China that produce decent to very good products. There are also factories that are owned or at least partnered with major companies outside of China. Apple has already been listed but all 4 of the Japanese moto brands have factories in China building parts if not complete bikes for them. Heck even modern Harleys have some parts on them that were made in mainland China
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

[/quote]

It's only a matter of time until Harleys (oops, bit of sick in my mouth) aren't made in the USA

Oh is it happening already :lol:[/quote]

Harley are about to release a 500cc bike in the New Year for under $10.000 in Oz, and I'm certain it isn't made in the good old USA.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

The new 500 and 750 Harleys are going to be built in the USA, at least those sold here. For many other places they are going to be built in India. Not that I really care. The only bike Harley has made in recent years that even peaks my interest is the electric drive Livewire.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Nice shots fish! Love the one on the water. Brings back memories of when I lived on the water.
oldbiker
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2012 non esp
Color: Black is cooler

Post by oldbiker »

As one that regularly visit China in the course of my work many will be surprised how much of your quality branded products are made in China. Most European manufacturers have tied plants in China. With 1.2 billion customers it makes sense.