Another New PCX Owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Another New PCX Owner

Post by Duggle »

Hi all,

I've posted a few times already but went out today and took some pictures so this is my formal introduction. I'm 55, retired, live in San Diego and finally talked my wife into being ok with a two-wheeled motorized vehicle (she worries too much). A scooter was definitely less sinister (in her eyes) than a motorcycle so this is what I got. We've been married 30 years and I do try to respect her wishes also but she realized it's something that I really wanted and gave in. Did a lot of research and ended up getting the Honda PCX although there are a few others that probably could have been pretty nice for me too. I'll be using it mainly for short trips to go to the store, get take-out or going on fun rides.

I just went to the DMV and got my motorcycle permit yesterday, got insurance for the bike added and now I'm ok to ride. I'll do the motorcycle safety training course with my brother-in-law when he can get around to it so I won't have to take the riding test.

This was my first motorcycle, a Honda 55. I started riding it at about 9 years old and I loved that thing. Here I am riding it at Split Mountain in the Anza Borrego desert back in 1969.
I've had other motorcycles, a Suzuki 90, an Indian 70 (made in the 70s) that I used to ride to work downtown when I was about 19, a Yamaha 360 enduro (that my brother hot-wired, went out drinking and crashed. He lived, motorcycle was toast) and a Honda 250 enduro (although this is one I also had while married, but it was supposed to be mainly for off-road).

I don't have a garage, but thankfully I can put the PCX in my overly messy shed and close the door which will keep it safe and out of the elements. I'm doing some shed cleaning out today.

This is a funny tiki scooter I saw down the street from my house while going out with the camera today.

I live near sunset cliffs here in Ocean Beach/Point Loma. I rode up a driveway, down the sidewalk, behind the guardrail onto a walking path for this picture. Then I looked across the street and there were two cops in a police car (probably eating lunch). Big oops, but they didn't say anything.

Parking lot at Shelter Island.

Down at Harbor Island.

On the embarcadero.

Ok, that's it for now. I plan on doing a lot of riding on this thing. So far it's a lot of fun.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Another New PCX Owner

Post by you you »

Fantastic :D
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Looks great! Welcome to the club!
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

Welcome! Great pics too.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Hi Duggle,

The wife can be a factor when your well being is in question. I selected the Honda PCX after doing my research and my Husband concurred. It all started when my Hubby caught me checking out the scooters on-line. He took an interest. We got black and red. Now for the safety part, I selected the black for myself with the hopes the red would protect my hubby better from collision. Also Got hi-viz apparel. See, how the wife can be! We never owned motorcycles. to dangerous. Well, these scooters are not much different. Now My husband rides 20 miles one way to work through heavy traffic and that gets me a little nervous.

My Husband John.
20140609_202659.jpg
20140609_202659.jpg (341.68 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

I wanted a red one too, but they only had black. To me, red is the typical Honda color and it would be better for being seen. I like your jackets also, I've been looking around on the internet at warm weather jackets that are black and hi-vis combined, sort of like this.

As a lifelong avid bicyclist I am aware that I must assume that every car is going to turn into my path and run me over and ride accordingly. I think that having this mindset will help keep me a lot safer and is probably one of the reasons that new riders get into accidents, because they don't realize that they are a target yet. However, I can say that over time, attitudes among the cagers seem to have shifted quite a bit. Where bikes used to clearly be an annoyance, now cars are generally much more respectful. Drivers usually will wave us past at intersections, sometimes acting ridiculously in the process. When a car reaches an intersection long before I'm there and waits for me, then waves me across (after I stop anyway), I wonder why they couldn't just have gone since they would not have impeded my path at all.

Oh well. Anyway, as a rider I will try to do my part. Be visible, ride safely and ALWAYS watch out for the other guy. Not just to keep my wife happy but not getting in a scooter wreck will make my life a lot better too. (master of the obvious)
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Was riding in 88-87 temps yesterday and the day before. I was wearing my hi-viz mesh armored jacket and long pants. Not too bad. I do like to use knee/shin protection. Also been a little windy around here last few days.

Ride safe!
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Duggle wrote:However, I can say that over time, attitudes among the cagers seem to have shifted quite a bit. Where bikes used to clearly be an annoyance, now cars are generally much more respectful.
I've found that, too. However, now there are more GPS, phone, texting, car computer, distractions than there used to be. I'd say it's a wash, or even a little more dangerous overall.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Wearing the Hi-viz helmet and jacket gets their attention. Think I spooked a guy in a car next to me when he looked my way. Lol!