new or old?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

new or old?

Post by wei2go »

Howdy PCX forum

I bought my first scooter about a year and a half ago. I went the cheap Chinese route as a first trial, and it started giving me minor quality issues pretty soon after buying. Nothing major, so it didn't deter me from becoming an avid scooter rider. The biggest deterrent was getting knocked off whilst filtering through traffic at 40km/hr. The car that changed lanes, turned out to be an unmarked police car, funnily enough. I've got a good witness, and am busy getting repair and replacement quote to take back to them and open up a case of negligent driving. Unfortunately I live in South Africa, so i'm not really holding my breath with regards to getting a payout from the police.

Anyways, I've been lurking on this site for a while as I've been considering getting a PCX150. I've test driven the 2013 PCX150, and was just about to buy it when I heard that the new model is out. I was going to hold out until the new model arrives in SA (no idea when), when I find a second hand offer going for R22000 (They go for R31000 new here). What should I do? Wait for the new model or not? What is the quick popular vote, as I'll be going to see it on Sunday and decide.
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Re: new or old?

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

I think I'm the odd one out on this forum - I actually prefer the 'look' of the 2013 and earlier PCXs. :)

I realise that the new 2014 model has several 'improvements' - but I just like the look of the 2013 model.

I also LOVE riding mine (a 125.)

:)
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Ps. The second hand one has 4000km on the clock. White.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The only things the new model has which are worthwhile improvements are a humpless seat, a bigger tank and a clock.
But are they worth all that extra cash....?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

If buying new, it's £100 difference without any price reduction, which in London seems impossible to get, more than makes up for the three improvements you mention. Larger capacity battery, leds lights (if as good as mentioned), better idle-stop (not that I intended to use it), sleeker lines and 12v outlet all seem good to me.
mjherrick66
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mjherrick66 »

I am riding a 2011 with 14000 miles on it now. I bought it brand new and since then had a couple of tune ups and annual oil changes. I also went through a rear tire already. I feel like I put money into it but don't have a payment. I'v saved a lot on gas which probably makes up for the money spent. I really do love the new improvements offered on the 2014-2015. I can't really see much difference in the body style. I would seriously consider upgrading if they offered it in red. I love the 2011 red color. I don't like the Forza red color. If they bring back the red next year I hope it isn't the orangish red like the Forza. I am a bit bothered the the bigger tank leaves for smaller storage room under the seat. I would get the 2013 if I were you. You will love it. You can ride it a few years and see what Honda releases in a few years. Probably something even better!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:I think I'm the odd one out on this forum - I actually prefer the 'look' of the 2013 and earlier PCXs. :)
I'm in the same camp, so you are not alone. It is not that I don't like the new lines, I just really like the older model better.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Ha, I think the 14/15 is much better looking, but I would still chop it up just the same... :lol:
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

I bought my PCX150 new from Cayenne last year for R19900 and I also prefer the look over the 2014 (not that the looks matter).
Do a good search for a dealer that will sell you a new one for a good price. You might also get lucky.
The 2nd hand one should be fine but I would want to pay less for it.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

The Larger Gas Tank on the New Model is it's biggest plus if You take Trips....if not, and mostly tool around Town and/or commute, no "biggie".....Used might be a Great Route for the money saved..... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Tiily2

Post by Tiily2 »

Hello had my pcx125 about 3 weeks now (old model) could have waited for new model but got to say prefer the looks of the old model .Not to keen on led lighting as high potential replacement cost as long term bike, (bulbs are cheap) .I like fitted clock though !

regards .
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Yay. I managed to find another second hand pcx150 700km on the clock for R21000 including almost new shark helmet and alarm disc lock. Unfortunately it came in red instead of the white I was hoping for.

The bikes quality and handling is amazing compared to the cheap Chinese scoot I had before. The only issues I'm having is the pillion, which my girlfriend is complaining is too small compared to the old scoot (might just have to get her one as well). The other issue is the airflow that's blasts on my chest above 80km/hr. I'm searching through all the past post about windscreens, and I just can't decide which route to go. Medium or tall. Self install or get it done at the Honda dealership. I would definitely go the self install route, if I can find one that I like at a steal.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Tiily2 wrote:Hello had my pcx125 about 3 weeks now (old model) could have waited for new model but got to say prefer the looks of the old model .Not to keen on led lighting as high potential replacement cost as long term bike, (bulbs are cheap) .I like fitted clock though !
regards .
If a led-panel fails completely then it may be expensive (not sure what circuitry is involved other than power!) but I would hope the leds last a long time and can be changed by end users with panel removal. The manual does suggest 'if any leds are out, take it to a dealer'
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

I fitted a Puig windshield and am very happy with it. No regrets.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windshield-Puig ... B00AXX0YJ6
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Got a kappaKD322ST windscreen and 47l kappa top box fitted today.

http://www.kappamoto.com/Bauletti/Monol ... /K47-MANTA

http://www.kappamoto.com/My-motorcycle/ ... -150-10-13

So far I have spent R19900 for the bike (700km on the clock) and R3500 for the screen, box and fitting. Total R23400. The dealer wanted R39000 for the equivalent.
emjays13

Post by emjays13 »

Hi I might be the guy with the R23k Pearl white one for sale. It has 3500kms.

Bear in mind I have the highwayman so be sure that the "dealer" special is for the highwayman. They actually retail for R33.5k!
Mine comes standard with the screen and top box both Honda products not Puig which are as usual in South Africa overpriced. Also has a few extras.
Bike is coming up for its 4k service which as part of the deal when bought will be labour free. Go figure.

The dealership does not know when the new model will arrive.
Remember Honda SA brings in scooters by batches so until all the current model are sold we won't see the new one.
The 6 L fuel tank is enough for me to ride 200 ks minimum between fill ups so who needs the "new" 8L one?

My previous CB1000 had a 17 L tank and did barely 145k between fill ups, riding "nicely". LOL.

PS the guy who bought his from Cayenne paid a compulsory R3500 "Delivery charge" again go figure. Mine was R1400 including the 4k labour charge.
Used to have a CB now I have a PC
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Yay. I just past my full bike license test today. I'm no longer on a learner license and can ride any bike I want. I'll be sticking with my little scoot though :p
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

170cc kit in the works?