PCX 150 in the shop again!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

PCX 150 in the shop again!

Post by katschamne »

Just took my PCX in for the second time. The 1st time at around 400 miles and now at about 500 miles. My husband and I decided to go out for a couple of weeks ago. The drive was about 42 miles round trip. The trip out there was fine but on the trip home about 7 miles from home I started hearing a squealing when I accelerated when I was between 20 mph and 30 mph. If I let off the throttle the squeal would stop if I again accelerated it would squeal again until after I surpassed 30 mph. This happened about 4 times. At first I though it was the car next to me but it continues to happen even after the car turned. We decided to stop for dinner before we went home. I told my husband about it and he asked me if it sounded like a belt squeal and it was then that I realized that he was right that was exactly what it was. After we left the restaurant, I couldn't get it to do it again. My husband decided that we would take it up to the dealership and have them check it out. We had planed to take a longer ride later on in the weekend but had to postpone it because they couldn't look at it until 4 days later. When my husband drove it he was unable to duplicate the noise. The dealership was also unable to duplicated the noise and informed me that if they opened it up I would be charged $60 if they didn't find anything. So I decided to take it home because I thought it was just a one time thing.

It was a pretty nice week out so I drove the scooter just about all week with no problem. On Sunday it was an awesome day so I decided to take a 45 mile round trip ride. The first half was great, but on the way back half way home it started again. I didn't think I was going to make it home. Not only was it squealing but there was times I couldn't get the scooter to accelerate pass 35 mph. Then all of a sudden then it would catch and I would be able to accelerate. When I got home I had my husband take it out for a ride to see if he heard it too. He did and when he got home we also smelled rubber. So back to the dealership it went. This time I don't care if it cost me $60 to open it up.

I hope they fix this problem. I'm really not happy with having an issue this early in my ownership. Hopefully this will be the last of my problem.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX 150 in the shop again!

Post by gn2 »

Perfectly normal for a scooter that doesn't get ridden hard enough or often enough.
If it starts squealing just do some hard accelerations and ride it flat out for a while.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GenuineHondaWes

Post by GenuineHondaWes »

I'd definitely let them look at it- sounds like belt slippage, though surprised on such a low mileage bike.

Hope they get it sorted, and if they argue about it being under warranty, stand your ground ;)
01524 60011
weshall@northwest-honda.co.uk
www.northwest-honda.co.uk
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Strange. No one on here has ever mentioned squealing. Keep us posted.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

The reason that the first time I took it back home without them taking it apart was because I had never heard anyone having this problem before. Even the shop said they had never had this problem before that it's a pretty solid scooter.

Gn2 definitely not normal. I bought the scooter in July and I wasn't able to ride it for 6 weeks due to a broken foot. After that I have been riding it to work which is a short commute (about 3 miles) but most of the milage has been on trips of about 40 miles. The first trip that it squealed I was able to accelerate out of it not so much the second trip. I was on a road that the speed limit was 45-50 and when you can't get your speed up past 35 mph that's a problem. Even that was very slow going.

Do you think it is my weight? I am a heavy person (about 290lb). Most of my riding is around 45-55 mph and my gas milage is about 81 mpg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If its still under warranty take it bak to the dealer.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Yes, it is still under warranty. That is why I've taken it back to the dealer both times.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

katschamne wrote:Yes, it is still under warranty. That is why I've taken it back to the dealer both times.
I think you should take it back to the dealer... ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

katschamne wrote:The reason that the first time I took it back home without them taking it apart was because I had never heard anyone having this problem before. Even the shop said they had never had this problem before that it's a pretty solid scooter.

Gn2 definitely not normal. I bought the scooter in July and I wasn't able to ride it for 6 weeks due to a broken foot. After that I have been riding it to work which is a short commute (about 3 miles) but most of the milage has been on trips of about 40 miles. The first trip that it squealed I was able to accelerate out of it not so much the second trip. I was on a road that the speed limit was 45-50 and when you can't get your speed up past 35 mph that's a problem. Even that was very slow going.

Do you think it is my weight? I am a heavy person (about 290lb). Most of my riding is around 45-55 mph and my gas milage is about 81 mpg

Weight shouldn't be a problem. When my wife is on the back of my bike it probably pushing over 350lbs with no issues.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I called the dealersh and asked about my scooter, since it's been a week with no news. We the belt is shot and it will have to be replaced. They are calling up Honda tomorrow to find how to procede since they don't see a reason why the belt failed. They are baffled by it because they have never had a problem with the PCX. So I hope I hear back tomorrow from them.
petersjm

Post by petersjm »

Mine did the exact same thing after 100km, and I only weigh about 150 pounds so it is defiantly not a weight issue.
The Honda dealer in Japan replaced the clutch spring, belt and rollers and 1,000 km later no problems at all.

See this link with video and screech noise.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1071
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Yes. Tell them to check the contra spring.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Well my husband talked to them when they called today and said they are going to replace the belt. Then they asked if I have ever rode 2 up or carried heavy cargo. Of course I have done neither. I have to say if I have problems with the scooter again. I will be getting rid of it. Then they will also loose a $20,000 sale of a F6B Goldwing as well. I'm thinking about taking it to another dealship to have them look at it. Now we'll see how long it will take to fix it since it took them a weel to look at it.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Weird. I've ridden 3-up with me, my wife, my dog, and at least 50lbs of cargo. We're small people, so that's about 220lbs of person, 15lbs of dog, and 50lbs of cargo -- pushing 300lbs. We've ridden like that for more miles than your scooter has with no issues. I hope they fix it quick, it sounds like they gave you a lemon (which I wasn't sure was even possible with Hondas).
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I agree. That is one reason why I went with the PCX. My husband's Shadow is 10 years old and it has been problem free. I have to say I'm not to keen on the guy who runs the service department. The first time I brought it in, he seem not to believe me. That's why I made my husband drive it the second time it happened. The service guy seems to be trying to blame me for the issues. Comments like "We'll see how Honda wants to procede with it" and if I rode 2-up or drove with a heavy cargo makes me a little ticked off.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Petersjm, thanks for the video. Yes, that is the same sound I heard from my PCX. Although the dealer said he never heard of the PCX having any problems.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

"That" IS some wicked screeching wail of eek I ever heard! I'd probably drop mine if that happened while riding! Holy Crap! Scary! These svc. guys are "milking it." They've had enough time! Geez, feeling bad'n'mad for ya :( :x Fingers crossed yer belt goes in Real Soon. Keep us posted, good luck!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Getting a new belt installed will just be the first step in figuring out what made the first one burn up. Which means a few more days while they order another part. Ask them if they have disassembled the front and rear pulleys to see what else is damaged inside such as the contra spring in the rear and to check to see if the rollers may be marked up if they were flying around loose.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^Wow, this is more bad than thought of. You're absolutely right sendler! Honda has to get to the bottom (cause) of this screeching. Sounds like it'll take awhile to fix this PCX "Witch" (new nickname, it just came out, excuse me (blaming it on Halloween :D )
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

To make matters worse I talked to my husband and the service guy said that Honda said they would replace the belt this time out of courtesy. Then the guy asked if I was heavy on the trottle. That's in addition to asking if I was driving 2 up or carring a heavy cargo. All in the name of trying to find out why this happened. After I get home from work today I will be calling the shop up myself and asking questions. I'm even thinking about driving over there so that I can show them Petersjm posts and video. They should be glad they talked to my husband yesterday instead of me.