Tyre comparison

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Tyre comparison

Post by gn2 »

Pictures of a 6,500 mile old City Grip and a 6,500 mile old IRC.
IMG_1880.resized.JPG
IMG_1880.resized.JPG (213.18 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
IMG_1883.resized.JPG
IMG_1883.resized.JPG (262.36 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Tyre comparison

Post by Cracksta »

lost weight since? joking!

I'm on 4700 miles, rear looks fine currently but look forward to changing both to citygrips
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Nope rider weight and usage were much the same, if anything the Michelin has been worked harder.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

Impressive difference. I'd go with city grips as replacements based on that comparison. Tread design alone would seem like they would grip much better and give a lot more confidence in cornering. Thanks gn2!
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

there is no difference in how different tyres work, i have had irc, Michelin and Pirelli, never road the scooter any different in all conditions, i think sometimes its in the mind or what you are used to. im a Pirelli man and that is what I buy now. :-)
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

Yeah just like mine,having the rear replaced to a city grip on friday,my irc looks the same at 6200 miles
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

What, no corners on your commute? :lol:
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

plenty of corners
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

dasshreddar wrote:What, no corners on your commute? :lol:
Nope.
A few bends but no corners.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I would declare that at least for me the new tire/tyre feel was not just in my head. I bought a used PCX and switched my tires/tyres out within the first 200 miles. I had never ridden a motorcycle before so I was a complete rookie. Maybe because I was a rookie, or maybe because I'm not that bright ;) but the thought of a different feel to the ride never crossed my mind .... at least not until I came to the first turn (if you feel the need to respond to that comment, please don't ;) ). Immediately upon entering the turn I was shocked by the different 'feel', even to the point where for a split second I thought I was going to get thrown from the bike.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
apeacezalt

Post by apeacezalt »

Anyway...
I got my PCX last month, how long should I wait before replace irc with CityGrip?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Wait till its worn down to the wear indicators.
siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Tyre comparison

Post by siplumb »

Excuse the possible stupid question but what exactly are the wear indicators? I've been keeping an eye on my tyres and they still look good.. But I've recently hit 10,000 miles which seems massively over what others are saying they replace them after.... Still handles as good as it ever did and I was happy with the grip in the recent rain..

Ignore that.. Just had another look, front still seems pretty good but back needs replacing.. Think ill put it in for a service and do the lot in one go..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The indicators are the little horizontal bars across the grooves.
When the tread gets level with them its new tyre time.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I changed my original rear tire at 5700 miles. I also now have a City Grip.
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

just had my rear tyre replaced to a City Grip, looks like a decent tyre
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

I'm about .1 mm away from the wear bars on my rear tire. I have 9100 miles on it. I'm going to get at least 10,000 miles from the stock OEM tires. I will be getting the city grips for both front a rear replacements.

Interesting how riding style, road conditions and braking preferences change dramatically tire life. Especially the rear.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

6,000 miles and my rear IRC tire is really square. The front is still good. I ordered a Michelin City Grip for $62 shipped. I hope it lasts longer. I got 16,000 miles out of the IRC that came on the rear of my CBR250R which looks like the same tire. The front is still good and should make it to 25,000?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Well, I think I know why my fuel economy kept drifting up as I passed 6,000 miles on my way to 7,800. Apparently a bald tire rolls easier than a newer one.The new rear tire is not as fuel efficient as the worn out one was. Interestingly, the difference in circumference is only about .4 percent It looks to be a lot more. But the loss of fuel economy sems to be about 3% on the first few tanks. I was able to grab the wheel with the automotive tire machine at work so was able to change it myself and save the $50 that the dealer charges. My dealer doesn't have the fixtures to balance rear scooter tires so I also have Dynabeads in both tires and they work well to balance the tires for a smoother ride. I don't notice much difference in the cornering or traction but I hope the Michelin City Grip will last me twice as long the way others have reported.