2019/20 PCX vs 2015-2018

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rev.David
Year: 2018
Color: White

2019/20 PCX vs 2015-2018

Post by Rev.David »

This is my first post . . . bikes I have are listed below.

I am pondering the new 2020 PCX 150 (didn't like the color on the 2019 as it's just not very visible safety wise). However, I could get a 2016 in red for half the money so I'm wondering if I should go that route and do a couple of mods, or if I should get the newer/upgraded PCX with the ABS.

Currently I drive a Reflex 250 with some minor mods and it's very smooth up to 75+mph. My wife has a 2018 PCX and though I like it in general I wish the suspension was smoother and the top speed was a little better. Locally (west/central Arkansas) we often drive two lane federal highways that are posted at 55 but many people do 65. With the 2018 PCX topping out around 62 just a little more top end would be great. I've read on the forum about updating the drive face and weights which I will probably do on her bike at some point, and it sounds like rear shock upgrades would help the smoothness. However, if I'm going to get another bike I'm wondering if I would need to do similar upgrades on the newer model or if the stock setup on the 2020 would be adequate. The main reason I'm thinking about getting the smaller bike for me is the Reflex is a bit heavy to load and haul on a hitch mount carrier when we go camping. The PCX is so much easier at 100 lbs less. We currently haul the Reflex on the front of our Sequoia and the PCX on the back of our camping trailer. It all rides fine once loaded, it's just the loading is so much harder with the heavier/longer/wider Reflex (even with a long ramp).

I've read the specs on the new PCX and like the improvements and the possibility of having ABS. So the two things I'm wondering about are: (1) does the updated frame, rear suspension, and bigger tires make that much of a difference in the ride and handling and (2) is the top speed any better with the updated motor/drivetrain? I've not found much on the forum about performance mods on the newer 2019/20 PCX (or even what the top speed is comparatively) so again, I'm wondering if it is noticeably better on these two things or is it more subtle (meaning I still might want to upgrade the roller weights/variator and suspension). I don't want to do interstate driving, just wanting a little more top end to comfortably do 65 if needed and to not feel every little bump on the pavement. I've not had the option to ride the newer model locally so would love to hear from someone that has experience with both the 2019/20 model and the 2015-2018 model.
2020 Red PCX 150 with tall Givi screen, powerbypcx/KAN seat, Viking Axe saddlebags, and Saddlemen Backrest bag
2018 White PCX 150 with mid height National Cycle screen, Givi passenger backrest, powerbypcx/KAN seat, Viking mini street saddlebags, and Chase Harper Deluxe Hideaway tail truck (stuffed with inflatable pillow for backrest).
Previously owned 2005 Honda Reflex 250, 2 Honda Elite 250's, Kymco People 50, and Kawasaki Vulcan 700
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Re: 2019/20 PCX vs 2015-2018

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Rev.David wrote: I've read the specs on the new PCX and like the improvements and the possibility of having ABS. So the two things I'm wondering about are: (1) does the updated frame, rear suspension, and bigger tires make that much of a difference in the ride and handling and (2) is the top speed any better with the updated motor/drivetrain? I've not found much on the forum about performance mods on the newer 2019/20 PCX (or even what the top speed is comparatively) so again, I'm wondering if it is noticeably better on these two things or is it more subtle (meaning I still might want to upgrade the roller weights/variator and suspension). I don't want to do interstate driving, just wanting a little more top end to comfortably do 65 if needed and to not feel every little bump on the pavement. I've not had the option to ride the newer model locally so would love to hear from someone that has experience with both the 2019/20 model and the 2015-2018 model.
I have not had a 2019/20 nor have I ridden one.
But from what I heard, yes, it is a little faster top speed, maybe 2-3 mph faster, even though the engine is 149 cc vs 153 or so on the 2018.

I don't think the speed difference is appreciable for determining which bike to get. ABS is indeed a good thing, if you suspect you might be one to grab the brakes in an emergency.

I also don't like mute colors and only ride something bright (ideally white - reflects most light).

As for modding, I would not do that. There are usually unintended consequences to changing the variator setup, and long term reliability is now compromised. So I personally would not be using aftermarket variators, belts, etc.

Suspension of 2018 is adequate for me, at 180 lbs with gear, but maybe I am missing something as I haven't tried any other suspension setups.

Wider rear tire - very unlikely to feel any difference. Perhaps it has better wear, but fuel economy might be compromised. I wonder if the tire width was increase for aesthetic reasons.

If you need more speed and reflex is too heavy, have you explored the Forza?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

The addition of ABS is the big change. I owned a 15 and rode a 19 before buying my Xmax. I did not feel there was any discernible difference between the 15 vs 19.

And I don’t think there’s any problem changing the variator/weights to shift the powerband around. I think the bike is just as reliable long-term.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I had a "look see" at a 2019 in a Honda dealer showroom about a week ago and having been a previous 2017 owner I can say what impressed me the most at first was the seat. It seems to be softer and have more padding. I'm not sure if they redesigned the seat pan or not but it definitely felt more comfortable to me. I didn't get to ride it but could compare from memory what it felt like, for me, to sit on the 2017 vs the new 2019. It sounds like you already know a lot about the improvements on the 2019/2020 PCX models so I won't be redundant. That said, I think there may be a new PCX 150 in my future . . . but not bronze. :roll:

In addition, and worth consideration IMHO . . . the Yamaha SMax will give you the higher top end speed you are looking for and you won't have to make any modifications. The fuel economy will be "almost" as good as the PCX but then again anything over 80 MPG is awesome. You can have an SMax for just about the same price as a PCX 150 and for about $300 more you can get a Shad (made for Yamaha) top box and rack. The seat on the SMax is comfortable if you fit. It's like a "King/Queen" type so it can be a deal breaker for taller riders. For me when I sat on one it seemed OK . . . rather comfortable . . . but I opted to go with the bigger XMax. The XMax is luxury by comparison but in your case you need something light enough to load on your vehicle. The SMax goes about 328 lbs. or roughly 40 lbs. heavier than the PCX 150. Maybe less if you get the PCX with ABS.

So if I get a new PCX (probably a red 2020 or see what 2021 brings) I won't have to worry about doing more than 55 MPH on it because I already have an XMax for that sort of riding. It does fly for a scooter. :lol:

I can see where it's a tough decision for you though. Save a lot of $$ getting the 2016 and having to deal with upgrades or just get something new out of the box ready to hit the ground running. 8)

Good luck and I hope others chime in here with their opinions . . .. As they say measure twice, spend once! ;)
Rev.David

Post by Rev.David »

Thanks everyone for the input. I've tried the S-max and found the ergonomics of the riding position to be uncomfortable in comparison to the PCX -- the seat bump is way to far forward even for my short legs (29-30 inseam) but I'm also have a very long torso so I'm just kind of an anomaly as far as riding position. On the PCX I can sit comfortably and even extend my legs to the front sloped part of the floorboard. However, I will admit the PCX is slightly better with the aftermarket seat we put on my wife's 2018, so maybe I need to take a second look at the SMAX with thoughts to do some major customizing on the seat. As far as other options, the Forza is even heavier than the Reflex by about 30lbs and the Tmax is about the same weight as the Reflex and with my short legs I can barely touch my toes so that's out. I also recently sat on a Burgman 200 and found it uncomfortable and it would only be about 30 lbs lighter than the Reflex. It really is down to some sort of PCX or sticking with the Reflex. I'm not one to grab the brakes so I'm not sure if the ABS is critical, but for the small price difference if I was buying a 2020 model I would definitely do it. Back when they offered it on the Reflex it was WAY more expensive hence why you hardly ever see a Reflex with ABS.

So . . . back to really wanting just a little more info on the new PCX in comparison to the previous model from those who have ridden both. I'm a heavier guy (around 300 lbs) so I bottom out too frequently on my wifes PCX as compared to the Reflex, though that can be fixed with some YSS shocks. I'm kind of at the point if there isn't that much gain on the newer model I might be better off going for a low mileage used one and do the shocks and dr Pulley sliders. Or just stick with the Reflex and deal with the extra weight loading and unloading. It's not unmanageable . . . it's just WAY harder than the PCX.
2020 Red PCX 150 with tall Givi screen, powerbypcx/KAN seat, Viking Axe saddlebags, and Saddlemen Backrest bag
2018 White PCX 150 with mid height National Cycle screen, Givi passenger backrest, powerbypcx/KAN seat, Viking mini street saddlebags, and Chase Harper Deluxe Hideaway tail truck (stuffed with inflatable pillow for backrest).
Previously owned 2005 Honda Reflex 250, 2 Honda Elite 250's, Kymco People 50, and Kawasaki Vulcan 700
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it… You certainly know your options… I am similar, when I look at a bike I start calculating what mods I want to do to “fit“ me… Sliders , variators, seats , new pipe (for better sound) running lights, etc, And you can get a bike to custom fit you. Bikerzbitz and Other websites have a fairly flat seat that illuminates the hump in a PCX. I did a ton of mods to my PCX, see my signature link.
Glen
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I guess I am stuck in the past but on my 2013 models run fine with the NCY variator, drive face and 13 gram rollers. I have had them on both bikes for awhile now and they work fine. I also changed the seats and the shocks, and added a tall windscreen, but then I like modding my bike. If you don't want to do any mods, maybe the PCX isn't for you.

There are always improvements that riders would like or wish that their bikes had. I think it is part of riding.

When I was a kid I added things to my bicycle too. Initially you will love what you have because it is new and shiny. Then you start finding or seeing things that you like on other riders' bikes or on the web. Just make a list and determine which item would be the most important for your comfort or safety. Then, if you are going to buy a newer bike, see if that item has been upgraded by the manufacturer. If not, it will remain on the list until you add it.

I wish you well in your hunt for the PCX that has had every update you want. I dont think it exists.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Rev.David

Post by Rev.David »

Not adverse to mods -- my Reflex 250 is MUCH smoother with the Dr. Pulley sliders and the Big Ruckus Variator (which has 6 full length slots as opposed to the ridiculous Reflex variator with every other slot being half length which makes a huge dead spot in the acceleration).

Just really wanting to know how the 2019/20 compares to the 2015-18 model. (Not interested in the 2013 mainly because of the small gas tank/more limited range.) So again my questions are is the newer model any faster on top end? Does the chassis/suspension/tire improvements on the newest model help much for a heavier rider or is it more negligible? I'm really needing to hear from folks who have experience with both these models, or at least know the realistic top end and suspension/handling of the newer model. There's just not an option locally for me to try out the 2019/20 model for comparison.

Also, as far as mods, I've not found anything on the forum specific to the newer 2019/20 model and wonder if the NYC variator upgrade is even compatible. So again, again wondering what the stock top end is as upgrades beyond changing roller weights may or may not currently be possible.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I owned a 2015 and recently drove a 2019. It felt the same to me. I see no reason why the NCY variator wouldn’t work, they didn’t really change any of the drive specifications. The only real change is the addition of ABS.
Glen
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

If funds permit I would go with the 2020 model. The rear shocks were moved back a few millimeters in order to make more space in the trunk and for a better ride. At least that's what honda says. It also has keyless ignition and more efficient engine. Top speed is still going to be mid 60s. I would add a variator kit along with some weights and call it a day. Oh and a nice windscreen too improve your aerodynamics, as a big guy it will help. Good luck.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Rev.David

Post by Rev.David »

For anyone following this, I finally got to ride a used 2019 PCX locally for comparison. It definitely handles/rides smoother than my wife's 2018. On her 2018 I often bottom out on bumps -- not so on the 2019. It also just handles better in general whether that be the frame/suspension improvements or the slightly wider tires. Acceleration seems about the same as the 2018, though the owner did say they had it up to 70mph on the highway, so maybe a slight improvement on the top end. If/when the red 2020 becomes available I'm probably going to trade in my old Reflex.
Rev.David

Post by Rev.David »

For anyone interested here's our current rides.
Attachments
P1010584 edit smaller.JPG
P1010584 edit smaller.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 3063 times
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

For anyone following this, I finally got to ride a used 2019 PCX locally for comparison. It definitely handles/rides smoother than my wife's 2018. On her 2018 I often bottom out on bumps -- not so on the 2019. It also just handles better in general whether that be the frame/suspension improvements or the slightly wider tires. Acceleration seems about the same as the 2018, though the owner did say they had it up to 70mph on the highway, so maybe a slight improvement on the top end. If/when the red 2020 becomes available I'm probably going to trade in my old Reflex.
Nice pic of the scooters . . ..

It sounds like you were quite impressed with the improved ride etc . . . of the 2019 PCX 150. Interesting point about the better suspension and tires.

I would say 70 MPH on a stock machine is wishful thinking. But then again who am I to judge. I haven't test rode a new one but do remember the performance of my 2017. I could get to 60 MPH (indicated . . . not GPS) but honestly the bulk of my riding was in that 30 to 50 MPH range.

Since you are an experience rider you know what works for you.

TBH I think the "red" PCX would stand out and be more visible in traffic than the the "bronze". That said, no matter what color you have, some people just seem oblivious to their surroundings. Yesterday on the news I saw a report showing a car turning directly into the path of an oncoming train at an intersection. Granted the gates were not in the "down" position (somebody screwed up somewhere or it was due to a technical failure) but yet and still you'd think the driver would at least have the common sense or survival instinct to look left and right anyways. Maybe even hear some noise? Unbelievable . . .. :roll:

Safety first!

It's always great to get a "new one". 8)

Enjoy the ride. :D
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Keeping the Reflex.....buying the used 2016?? Temporary hedge......
Rev.David

Post by Rev.David »

Yeah, I've thought about getting a 2016 in red, but after riding a 2019 I don't think I'll go that route. I'm a heavy guy so I need the better suspension of the newer one, otherwise I've got to upgrade shocks, etc., and I do like the added safety of anti lock brakes on the front.
Bogieboll
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by Bogieboll »

Here might be some useful info for you.
I had a S max and yes it is definitely faster than the PCX,but it did not fit me well at all. Plus I really don't like the looks of the S max at all. PCX is way better looking imo and rides nicer.
Soooo.. I traded in my S max and bought a bronze 2019 PCX. It is much more comfortable. As far as power mine does not go past 62 so far but I did not try a long run like a highway yet. I also wanted more top speed so I had the NCY aviator and drive face put on. It may be a tad more torqueier and quicker off the line but no difference in top speed. I was completely bummed so now I ordered 13grn NCY rollers for it and see what that does. Stock was weighed at 16.5grn. I am definitely liking it over the S max even though it's slower. I have talked to others that are my basic size and they claim to hit 70-72 on their stock 2019 PCX so I'm bummed mine isn't. Good luck and hope this helps you.
GodFather
Year: 2020 PCX150A
Color: RED

Post by GodFather »

We recently purchased the 2020 PCX 150 ABS. Is the keyless FOB only for everyone except USA? Mine is still with a regular key which locks the steering.

2020 PCX150ABS Candy Luster Red - Stock
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It does appear that way . . ..

Also the U.S. version has a drum rear brake.

Some countries get the rear disc brake on the PCX and on the newer ADV 150.

That said I wouldn't consider having the traditional key type ignition a problem. Think of it as one less battery to worry about. :D
GodFather
Year: 2020 PCX150A
Color: RED

Post by GodFather »

Old Grinner wrote:It does appear that way . . ..

Also the U.S. version has a drum rear brake.

Some countries get the rear disc brake on the PCX and on the newer ADV 150.

That said I wouldn't consider having the traditional key type ignition a problem. Think of it as one less battery to worry about. :D
No complaints here at all. Mostly just wondering if the dealer gave me a previous model or sumtin. A rear disc brake would have been great, but not a real deal breaker. The keyless doesn't seem like it would deter thieves, but I could be wrong.

2020 PCX150ABS Candy Luster Red - Stock