narrowing the belt

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your Forza. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

MORON
Regular User
Regular User

narrowing the belt

Post by MORON »

One moronic thing I experimented with was my drive belt on my 2014 Forza. Belts are cheap. I paid,(i think), around 22 bucks for a Chinese belt on Ebay. using the principals behind how the CVT works, or even a 10-speed bicycle, the higher the belt rides in the front and the lower in the back, allows for higher top speeds as well as gas mileage(hopefully). Considering how long these belts last, I decided to actually narrow the width of the belt,(using a disc sander), pushing the belt even further higher and lower on the front and rear spools. And the thinner the belt, within reason, I indeed got another 5 mph cruising speeds and my mileage increased to 180 miles per tankful or 60 mpg on average. One can achieve the same mileage but just not burying the throttle but that is no fun! I got 60mpg on average and I was as reckless as ever. Happy recklessness................Moron
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: narrowing the belt

Post by davenowherejones »

I change my belt every 25,600 km and none of my used belts have shown any wear hardly.

Interesting experiment but not worth the effort for that little increase.

Carry on, have fun.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Cheap chinese Ebay belts are a bad idea - why pay £20-25 for poor immitation kevlar crap when you can buy Honda originals from a dealer for £35.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I would have thought that narrowing the belt would lower the top speed?
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

iceman wrote:Cheap chinese Ebay belts are a bad idea - why pay £20-25 for poor immitation kevlar crap when you can buy Honda originals from a dealer for £35.
What dealer did you buy a Honda Forza 300 drive belt from in the UK for £35? The list price in the UK is about 3 times that price or are you not talking about the Forza 300? - This is the Forza 300 section.