PCX125 - Coolant Light Coming On But Has Coolant

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: Black

PCX125 - Coolant Light Coming On But Has Coolant

Post by u33db »

Hi there,

I bought my 2015 PCX 125 2 weekends ago but due to weather I've not managed to get out on it until today.

Its a great bike and will be an excellent commuter but I have a small issue....

When I took the bike out today the coolant light came on after a while (open road riding, not sitting in traffic) so I quickly went home to find the reservoir was empty. This was odd as the bike has apparently been "checked over" before me picking it up...perhaps they didn't do a great job but regardless I topped it up and went out again.

10 minutes later the same thing happened again...coolant light came on!

I got home again but this time the reservoir is still on max and there is no visible leaks that I can see which is strange.

So my question is what could this be?

- Does the coolant system need bled (i.e. I have some kind of air lock that's bringing the light on)?
- Is it likely to be a sensor that's duffed in some way (any common problems with these)?
- Thermostat issue?

The bike does not seem to be overheating that I can see/smell so i'm confused.

Thanks in advance! :)
Malossi 10.5g rollers
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Malossi yellow variator spring
HJC wind screen
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Re: PCX125 - Coolant Light Coming On But Has Coolant

Post by lolofigo »

u33db wrote:Hi there,

I bought my 2015 PCX 125 2 weekends ago but due to weather I've not managed to get out on it until today.

Its a great bike and will be an excellent commuter but I have a small issue....

When I took the bike out today the coolant light came on after a while (open road riding, not sitting in traffic) so I quickly went home to find the reservoir was empty. This was odd as the bike has apparently been "checked over" before me picking it up...perhaps they didn't do a great job but regardless I topped it up and went out again.

10 minutes later the same thing happened again...coolant light came on!

I got home again but this time the reservoir is still on max and there is no visible leaks that I can see which is strange.

So my question is what could this be?

- Does the coolant system need bled (i.e. I have some kind of air lock that's bringing the light on)?
- Is it likely to be a sensor that's duffed in some way (any common problems with these)?
- Thermostat issue?

The bike does not seem to be overheating that I can see/smell so i'm confused.

You have to top it up via cap on radiator. To get to the radiator cap you'll have to remove plastic grill on radiator. Coolant reservoir is only for overflow. When you take radiator cap off, coolant will flow to the radiator until it's full. Then top up the reservoir.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Welcome sir, depending on if you are stateside or overseas there may be other things dealers don't do very well for your PCX according to the geographical location it was sold.... we can help (please put location info in your profile) For example do you have a brake lock?
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by u33db »

[quote="lolofigoYou have to top it up via cap on radiator. To get to the radiator cap you'll have to remove plastic grill on radiator. Coolant reservoir is only for overflow. When you take radiator cap off, coolant will flow to the radiator until it's full. Then top up the reservoir.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Ahh - I'm used to cars where you add it via the expansion tank so didn't realise that initially!

I actually tried adding it via the radiator cap before I saw your reply and while the light doesn't come on anymore the coolant has overflowed from somewhere onto the ground when the engine got up to temp...I guess I've obviously put too much in, especially since the expansion tank was at "full" at that point. :oops:

Tomorrow i'll have another look at it - assume there will be no damage from my overfilling?
Malossi 10.5g rollers
HJC wind screen
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by u33db »

homie wrote:Welcome sir, depending on if you are stateside or overseas there may be other things dealers don't do very well for your PCX according to the geographical location it was sold.... we can help (please put location info in your profile) For example do you have a brake lock?
Hi,

I've updated my profile now...i'm in the UK.

No disc lock but I have a massive chain for it left over from my KMX125
Malossi 10.5g rollers
HJC wind screen
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

u33db wrote:
homie wrote:Welcome sir, depending on if you are stateside or overseas there may be other things dealers don't do very well for your PCX according to the geographical location it was sold.... we can help (please put location info in your profile) For example do you have a brake lock?
Hi,

I've updated my profile now...i'm in the UK.
No disc lock but I have a massive chain for it left over from my KMX125
Thanks for the location update sir;
You don't have the (HONDA PCX 2015 OEM SWITCH MANUAL BRAKE LOCK PARKING) in the UK that almost never comes adjusted properly by the dealers in the US. That's good you don't need it anyway 8) Enjoy your beautiful black LED PCX125 Do you have an accessory wish list... we can help.
Attachments
e-brake.jpg
e-brake.jpg (7 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Also had this snippet stashed away from someones earlier post on coolant
'For the PCX (which may also apply to yours) The Honda book says to run it on the center stand with the radiator cap open while warming up. As it gets to hot they say to blip or rev the throttle a few times. That will push the coolant through the system quicker, taking the air to the open radiator where it can escape(you'll see bubbling at the neck). Once you see the coolant level constant and no more air bubbles, top it up and cap it. make sure there's coolant in the overflow bottle and ride it''
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Baby needs burped! :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

I use a vacuum filling system for cooling system filling at my work. It sucks out all the air and the coolant gets drawn in so it eliminates air locks.

It works quite well but obviously you wold the want to buy one to do a one off job.

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/09544-DRAP ... AoNP8P8HAQ
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by u33db »

Well that was an eventful morning!

I went out today to fill and bleed the system so started the bike and left it to run for about 2-3 minutes to get some heat in it (it was minus temps here this morning) - literally that was all the time it took for water to start dripping out again so it clearing wasn't an overfilling issue as I hadn't yet topped it up.

So I had a feel about and found this;

That's the water pipe underneath the engine...its come away from the head!

Also note the position of the clamp - halfway down the pipe - I think someone has been in there before and hasn't put pipe back on properly or at least never put the clamp back on.

Anyway I had to take the exhaust off to refit it properly and have topped up the system an "burped it" - not road tested it yet as we've got hail right now but it seems to be fixed.

A bit annoyed - when I bought the bike it was meant to come "with a 21 point check blah blah" - so much for that!

I'm not saying the garage did this but obviously their 21 point check doesn't cover mechanical inspection!

Malossi 10.5g rollers
HJC wind screen
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

u33db wrote:Well that was an eventful morning!

I went out today to fill and bleed the system so started the bike and left it to run for about 2-3 minutes to get some heat in it (it was minus temps here this morning) - literally that was all the time it took for water to start dripping out again so it clearing wasn't an overfilling issue as I hadn't yet topped it up.

So I had a feel about and found this;

That's the water pipe underneath the engine...its come away from the head!

Also note the position of the clamp - halfway down the pipe - I think someone has been in there before and hasn't put pipe back on properly or at least never put the clamp back on.

Anyway I had to take the exhaust off to refit it properly and have topped up the system an "burped it" - not road tested it yet as we've got hail right now but it seems to be fixed.

A bit annoyed - when I bought the bike it was meant to come "with a 21 point check blah blah" - so much for that!

I'm not saying the garage did this but obviously their 21 point check doesn't cover mechanical inspection!

At least you've found it now and it's not too difficult a fix
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think the reality is that those 21 point inspections don't really do more than make sure it isn't leaking fluids and looks and runs good enough to sell. In this case I guess running for 5 minutes is enough. But in the end, the bike is a Honda, and it found a home with someone who knows bikes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Vancho
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012

Post by Vancho »

u33db wrote:Hi there,

I bought my 2015 PCX 125...

- Thermostat issue?

I'm glad you solved the problem.
But in my practice as a mechanic I have met thermostat issues also. Not mean PCX particularly (on PCX- never) but another vehicles Honda.

Anyway a couple words about COOLING SYSTEM...
If you have some issue with cooling system you have to check the level in radiator (while its cold) coz level in reservoir tank not always shows actuall level in main system (eng+radiator) of cooling system. Resevoir tank it's like a secondary or support system in there. The main volume of the cooling liquid stay in the engine+radiator that connects with the reservoir tank by valve in the radiator cap. When engine hot (normal temperature) the valve open for relieve extra pressure, and it go with some amount of antifrize to the reservoire tank. When engine cold the process will be reversed - for avoid extra vacuum in main system...
Attachments
PCX Cooling system trouble shooting.png
PCX Cooling system trouble shooting.png (16.92 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
000.jpg
000.jpg (81.63 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Wow! that's a fail... someone's not paying attention to reassembly. Good thing your low coolant indicator saved your engine.
u33db
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by u33db »

Indeed!

My dad actually phoned the dealership up last week and went mental at them (he's bought loads of bikes off them over the years dating back to the 90s and never had any issues like this). Then they phoned me and offered to take it back in and inspect it again;

I just told them i'd fixed it, and if it needs anything else again i'll be doing it as I know it'll be done right!

Anyway that aside I've done 40 miles on it today and its running well...averaging 110 mpg and still going up so i'm happy with the purchase.

The bolts on the underside/caliper/exhaust are looking extremely rusty though...at some point i'll need to take them off and zinc plate them but that can wait until summer :)
Malossi 10.5g rollers
HJC wind screen