Help with Bar end removal

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Help with Bar end removal

Post by woozy-uk »

I bought Honda pcx Bar End weights, but I can't remove the old ones. Which way do the screw's turn? It's like they're welded on
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Re: screwed in bar end removal?

Post by Esdain »

they are not welded in, they do have thread lock on them, i had to use an impact driver to break the seal, but then just a normal posh drive
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I had to use an impact driver to remove mine too. They're in tight.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

maddiedog wrote:I had to use an impact driver to remove mine too. They're in tight.
What kind of impact driver do you use, any suggestions ??? Any links or picture ??????????? I know I will need to remove bar end weights one day, might as well be ready !

Mike
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Had this problem, gave up for over a year as any kind of screw bit (philips 3 I think) or mechanical impact driver failed - we even twisted a bit quite badly trying to budge the screws and began to chew them up a little. A few weeks ago I got them off easily by drilling the screw heads off using small to large drills in an electric vari-speed drill - start at 2mm and go up say 3, 5, 6 and maybe 6.5 to get the head off.
No damage to the bar end and the heat from the drilling was enough to loosen the red loctite - never even needed a small blow-torch I bought for the purpose of heating the remaining screw end up! This is the best way and takes 5 minutes each end and the bar end just pops off for easy remaining screw removal. This is a pic of someone else's bike as they just fitted the same bar-end guard I did (£10 delivered off Ebay in smoke, black, red or blue) and stops a lot of the wind chill
15178135_900595633409988_1183355048570614742_n.jpg
15178135_900595633409988_1183355048570614742_n.jpg (96.17 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
Replacement stock bolts (allen key this time!) are M6x45 (40mm thread length and 5mm head) but to fit these you would need M6x55mm bolts.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

btw - these can be found by searching Ebay for 'universal hand guards' and stock bolts are csk (countersunk) but to fit these you would need cap head bolts.
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

hey all,

when I wanted to remove mine to fit heated grip I quickly gave up on the screw and fixed mole grips round the outside of the weight

unscrewed both in seconds, use a bit of cloth to protect the surface and you should be good :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Blazinby wrote:hey all,

when I wanted to remove mine to fit heated grip I quickly gave up on the screw and fixed mole grips round the outside of the weight. Unscrewed both in seconds, use a bit of cloth to protect the surface and you should be good :)
Now why didn't I think of that, and even if you trash them who cares.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Honda-PCX-B ... Swo0JWL32u

Chief says "DA"
Attachments
mac&chief2.jpg
mac&chief2.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Did you all try hitting the end of the screwdriver with a hammer before unscrewing to loosen the threadlock?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Having fitted the cheap hand guard shields as above, and it's been very cold early hours of the morning (- temps with wind chill added) they have proved to be a great addition to the bike. I'm using cheap fleece lined ex-army mitts with vinly glove liners and where before my fingers would still get cold and almost painful, now my fingers feel cool-cold but ok - my chest area feels much colder and I'm sporting t-shirt, fleece, thermal liner and proper bike jacket!

So, good cheap wind protection for about £10 delivered if you do not like bar-end mitt style protection. They also have some reflective strip on them but you could always add you own extra-reflective material to make the front and sides of your bike stand out or even extend the coverage with some soft flexi rubber material to stop more rain.

Note - the pic I posted above was someones elses install of the hand guards (did not have my phone on me at the time) - they fitted the brake lever support bar on top of the little adapter/extender whereas I fitted mine directly between the brake lever and the extender bar. They also added a small extension at the bar end - I did not do that as there is no need - they clear the levers and I can engage full lock with them fitted.
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

tbh,

those do look pretty cool,

riding in winter is beautiful but damn cold.

heated grips are good and all but the biting wind on the front of your gloves is hard to take after a while

I think I/you may have just solved my family's "what do we buy the idiot for christmas ?" conundrum

:lol:
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I've been using the hand guards as above for some time now and they work great to help stop the wind chill, and they seem to be spreading like tribbles at work as many bikes now have them fitted :) - a colleauge just fitted them to his motorbike and he does 70mph on motorways and he's very pleased with them as usually his hands are hurting from the wind chill at that speed but now his hands are warm at journeys end. So, anyone wanting a cheap (£10) aid to help with winter chill on their bikes, and are easy to fit, and come in red, black, blue, white and smoke, these are great.
Wazzycabbage
Year: 2015
Color: Pearl white

Post by Wazzycabbage »

Pcx bar weights are actually easy to remove, just don't go for the screw !!!!

I got my pair of pipe wrench adjustables and grab the weight itself. (If you want to protect them ,get some inner tube rubber or some other rubber to protect paint and metal)

Then just rotate and screw will loosen. Then just finish off with a posidrive.

To put back just do in reverse and use some threadlock !!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Help with Bar end removal

Post by fish »

Bar end weights spin on our CB500X. So I used heat on the end to heat the screw, with a wet rag on the grip. Screw came loose.

Fish
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Wazzycabbage wrote:Pcx bar weights are actually easy to remove, just don't go for the screw !!!!

I got my pair of pipe wrench adjustables and grab the weight itself. (If you want to protect them ,get some inner tube rubber or some other rubber to protect paint and metal)

Then just rotate and screw will loosen. Then just finish off with a posidrive.

To put back just do in reverse and use some threadlock !!
Also as you twist the screwdriver, hit the back end of it with a hammer. Tap and twist at the same time.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.