how tight is the tightest bolt on the pcx

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

how tight is the tightest bolt on the pcx

Post by eggman »

I'm looking for a cordless impact wrench for the pcx and other cars I work on. I want to know how tight in footpounds the tightest Bolton the pcx is so I know which wrench to choose . I know they aint required but I love tools
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: how tight is the tightest bolt on the pcx

Post by homie »

My impact wrench is over 200 foot pounds and that's WAY overkill for anything on PCX. Use it to remove but not to tighten. Use a torque wrench to meet your specs for reassembly and BEWARE some SM's show (inch pounds) which you will need to convert to foot pounds or strip your bolts for sure.

http://www.kylesconverter.com/torque/in ... unds-force
Last edited by homie on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I have one of these kit. I use it at work but it's plenty powerful enough for a scooter.
The rule of thumb is use it to loosen and nip it up when tightening and correctly torque the component afterwards. You can't go wrong then.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-too ... ss/2454-22

The batteries and charger are interchangeable with rest of the range so you could get a flashlight or drill body etc.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

cool ty u both I adore tools I have a toque wrench got it the other day. ill use it for sure to tighten stuff
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

You don't need an impact wrench, if you love tools ,what does work on a PCX very well is a power impact driver socket

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043 ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

them 1/4 drives i cant find any big socket for themonly like less then 10mm. im thinking a going with a multi speed ryobi 1/2 drive since i already have other tools that use the same battery
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Do them up till they start getting tight then do em up a bit more :)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

eggman wrote:them 1/4 drives i cant find any big socket for themonly like less then 10mm. im thinking a going with a multi speed ryobi 1/2 drive since i already have other tools that use the same battery
If you get an impact wrench/gun, you will need hardened steel impact sockets (they're usually black).
Even chrome vanadium steel 1/2" sockets are too soft and will chew out around the drive bit on an impact wrench.
If going by hand, quality 3/8" drive sockets will go a long way and do the 44ftlbs on the variator nut (unless you get Chinese pig steel...).
I use a cheap 3/8>1/2" drive adapter for that one huge 39mm socket you need for the clutch, and it works fine for me.
Don't cheap out and buy 12 point sockets, they chew up nuts and bolts like no one's business, and they're more likely crack and slip.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

chicaboo wrote:
eggman wrote:them 1/4 drives i cant find any big socket for themonly like less then 10mm. im thinking a going with a multi speed ryobi 1/2 drive since i already have other tools that use the same battery
If you get an impact wrench/gun, you will need hardened steel impact sockets (they're usually black).
Even chrome vanadium steel 1/2" sockets are too soft and will chew out around the drive bit on an impact wrench.
If going by hand, quality 3/8" drive sockets will go a long way and do the 44ftlbs on the variator nut (unless you get Chinese pig steel...).
I use a cheap 3/8>1/2" drive adapter for that one huge 39mm socket you need for the clutch, and it works fine for me.
Don't cheap out and buy 12 point sockets, they chew up nuts and bolts like no one's business, and they're more likely crack and slip.
sweet ride dude u sure did much work on I sure hope these work I already brought them they have a weird design but seem to be reviewed well
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in ... t+husky+60
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

eggman wrote:
chicaboo wrote:
sweet ride dude u sure did much work on I sure hope these work I already brought them they have a weird design but seem to be reviewed well
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in ... t+husky+60
These sockets aren't the best in my experience. (I'm a mechanic to trade)
Full hex sockets are the ones you want. They don't slip, especially if your getting budget ones like multi hex sockets might do.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1480088210.098008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1480088210.098008.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Six pt sockets are the best , but for driveline work on the PCX 44 lbs and 39LBS of torque are not any big deal. Any good chrome Vanadium will do just fine. I use air impact wrench and chrome without any issues. However, if you are torqueing 80-100 ft lbs auto lugs nuts or engine cylinder heads then go get the impact sockets and heavy duty 6 pt. design like the mechanics say above.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

eggman wrote:cool ty u both I adore tools I have a toque wrench got it the other day. ill use it for sure to tighten stuff

Excellent idea.