A case of rider's intuition and an Airhorn tribute

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

A case of rider's intuition and an Airhorn tribute

Post by flyingzonker »

Riding this morning east on a busy 6 lane interurban roadway--huge shopping plazas up and down for miles. Speed limit 40 mph. I am in the outside row. A big delivery truck is ahead of me in the middle. I run to escape his blind spot. I am coming level with his cab and getting ready to pass when I sense that, even though there is no one directly ahead of the truck, there might suddenly appear a car coming from the inside that wants to cross over the truck's lane and get into mine so it can be in position to enter a mall.

AND SURE ENOUGH, a woman in a late model tan coupe swings across the center lane and starts to slice into the space I am just preparing to inhabit. I immediately swerve into a service lane that feeds one of the malls, at the same time sounding a long blast of my most wonderful Stebel Nautilus airhorn. The woman wobbles, shifts abruptly back into the center aisle lifting her right hand as she does in a gesture that seems to indicate confession and contrition all in one.

I think I would have been in deep doo doo if I hadn't somehow smelled that rat coming before it came into sight and chewed me down.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: a case of rider's intuition and an airhorn tribute

Post by Bash On! »

Good application of intuition/experience. Around here, a loud horn merely makes them pause for a fraction of a second. Then they keep coming. Every little bit of time helps, though!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Good defensive driving on your part. Anticipate what might happen and expect the worst. Anything less is a benefit.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is a good thing to have, and listen to, that intuition that keeps us alive. Too many people are in too much of a hurry.
A couple of days ago we were driving in the center lane and a car came up fast on our left, crossed in front of us to the right lane and the exit, and turned into the shopping center. All of this was in heavy traffic doing 45 mph. That car was doing at least 50 mph. All that just to get to the mall a minute earlier?? Imagine what would have happened if a bike had been in that outside lane when they cut across traffic like that to get into the mall! You have to depend on intuition a lot when you are out riding, otherwise you might become the victim of someone in too much of a hurry.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:It is a good thing to have, and listen to, that intuition that keeps us alive. Too many people are in too much of a hurry.
A couple of days ago we were driving in the center lane and a car came up fast on our left, crossed in front of us to the right lane and the exit, and turned into the shopping center. All of this was in heavy traffic doing 45 mph. That car was doing at least 50 mph. All that just to get to the mall a minute earlier?? Imagine what would have happened if a bike had been in that outside lane when they cut across traffic like that to get into the mall! You have to depend on intuition a lot when you are out riding, otherwise you might become the victim of someone in too much of a hurry.
You are describing the exact situation in my post, from the point of view of the delivery truck I was preparing to pass. If I had sailed past that truck I think I would have gotten smashed. As it was I lived to strike back--I nailed her with a slug of sound.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

flyingzonker wrote:Riding this morning east on a busy 6 lane interurban roadway--huge shopping plazas up and down for miles. Speed limit 40 mph. I am in the outside row. A big delivery truck is ahead of me in the middle. I run to escape his blind spot. I am coming level with his cab and getting ready to pass when I sense that, even though there is no one directly ahead of the truck, there might suddenly appear a car coming from the inside that wants to cross over the truck's lane and get into mine so it can be in position to enter a mall.
Glad to hear you are ok. Thanks for sharing your experience. it's a good lesson for everyone to listen to their intuition.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Sandymay wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:Riding this morning east on a busy 6 lane interurban roadway--huge shopping plazas up and down for miles. Speed limit 40 mph. I am in the outside row. A big delivery truck is ahead of me in the middle. I run to escape his blind spot. I am coming level with his cab and getting ready to pass when I sense that, even though there is no one directly ahead of the truck, there might suddenly appear a car coming from the inside that wants to cross over the truck's lane and get into mine so it can be in position to enter a mall.
Glad to hear you are ok. Thanks for sharing your experience. it's a good lesson for everyone to listen to their intuition.
Indeed!
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

I love the horn. I looked it up on YouTube and thought it was great. So can you give us some of the particulars around the horn? What kind of bike have you mounted it on? How easy was the installation? Any advice? Where purchased?
Thank you!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Brighteyes! Good Save Fly! You were aware and your senses were keen! Cheers peep - keep on tootin! :P

I will take this moment to toss in another Loud aftermarket horn. This one called SCREAMING BANSHEE.
A handfull or so years back, Peter Olt started his Screaming Banshee business through Kickstarter.com (a cool place to kick start your inventions into the real world). I was one of the first to jump in, donate and back his product. You get a good deal owning one that way > Discount!
Peter and I actually conversed several times through emails about his New product. He's a really nice guy with a passion. He resides in Tampa, Florida for those that are wondering.
Long story short, I have one of his first edition screaming banshee's. No, Not installed yet. I know...you ask Why? Because I misplaced it and it's been driving me crazy trying to find it! Sigh.
Not like me!! :x

Moving along...if interested, here's his new and improved Screaming Banshee website where you'll find several of his useful and well made products.
Warning: Hold your ears then press the video go button

He also has a LED Strobe Light Bar, that you might consider integrating with the horn (as seen in his video) Have a look and Be safe, always

https://screaming-banshee.com
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Darn horn button. Was riding the PCX after riding the Silverwing most of the time. Lady in a van swerved into my lane with no signal. Hit the horn button and got .....the turn signal button.

Why did Honda have to go and switch the button placement between bikes?

Anyway, as mentioned above, when I did find the horn button it didn't even slow her progress into my lane.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

For those who would like to install an air horn here are some helpful tips:
1. The air horn needs a relay in order to work. The power that goes to the original horn on your bike does not produce enough current. Use the connection wires to the original horn to run the relay instead and hook the main air horn hot wire directly to the battery.
2. Consider keeping the original horn connected as you connect the air horn. The air horn takes a second or two to spin up so you want to have something during that time.
3. Put the air horn where it will be heard the most. Under the seat is not a good place. I installed mine under the console cover, but there is plenty of room within the front side panels, though you have to take the bike apart to get to them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good to know! Thank you much Mel. Tips are blessing's from the experienced 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by GlassMan »

Any advice as to how mount my DISITEGRATER BEAM !!!!! LOL!!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Think i would have backed out of the trucks blind spot...because as it turns out...you were both driving with blind areas at that point.
Fish