New MOTOVLOG - Scoot Commute 8 - Amish Cooking

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

New MOTOVLOG - Scoot Commute 8 - Amish Cooking

Post by honkerman »

So, I'm on my way to work and I give an update on Maggie the Scooter dog, then I start to talk about what I'm going to make for dinner for the folks at the group home where I work. PA Dutch cooking. Watch, ask questions. Hope you enjoy my rainy day ride.

Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Re: New MOTOVLOG - Scoot Commute 8 - Amish Cooking

Post by flyingzonker »

How old is your dog? My little friend was 15 when she took sick with Cushing's disease. Her back teeth were bad but she was too weak to stand cleaning, let alone surgery. I consider it a failure on my part that she got those bad teeth--I neglected to either clean her teeth or take her to have it done while it still might have been done. I did try for a while to brush her teeth but she was so resolutely adverse to that procedure that before too long I gave up on it. Her death was probably hastened by the consequences of those rotten teeth.

As for the amish--the only people of that persuasion I ever had direct contact with didn't impress me--but it was only two of them, and it was so long ago that maybe my memory is doing them an injustice.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

flyingzonker wrote:How old is your dog? My little friend was 15 when she took sick with Cushing's disease. Her back teeth were bad but she was too weak to stand cleaning, let alone surgery. I consider it a failure on my part that she got those bad teeth--I neglected to either clean her teeth or take her to have it done while it still might have been done. I did try for a while to brush her teeth but she was so resolutely adverse to that procedure that before too long I gave up on it. Her death was probably hastened by the consequences of those rotten teeth.

As for the amish--the only people of that persuasion I ever had direct contact with didn't impress me--but it was only two of them, and it was so long ago that maybe my memory is doing them an injustice.
Maggie is only 4. Her breed (and a lot of small breeds from what I understand), are prone to tooth and gum issues. when we first got Maggie, we asked about that and were told they'd help us keep an eye on it. anyway, we asked about toothbrushing at about two years old and were told it wasn't necessary yet, but we could use greenies or denta stix. Last year they said she should see the groomer for a teeth cleaning every month so we did that. A month ago, we were told three teeth needed to be removed, but it could probably wait until January. My wife and I were both worried that would not be soon enough, so we scheduled the surgery for this past Monday...and they found the gum disease had accelerated rapidly, requiring the removal of about half of her teeth. So, veterinarians, like people doctors, don't always get it right. Illness sometimes catches them off guard too. She's doing fine though, and is loving having an egg a day and canned food.

The Amish are as varied a people as any other. You have good folks and bad. One thing I've learned about them over the years is, they tend to make very good neighbors. If any of their neighbors need help, they are the first to lend a hand. They work hard and try to live in harmony with others. Of course, shoofly pie is awesome.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Teeth cleaning is not only essential in small dogs it is also critical in cats as well. AMISH.Isn't it their God that made the elements of modernization, but I guess in their minds modernization lead or contributes to sin.. but then again it didn't stop Adam and Eve and they were pretty primitive ..LOL..just some food for thought.. A clean life is a good life for sure.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

honkerman wrote:
flyingzonker wrote: Maggie is only 4. Her breed (and a lot of small breeds from what I understand), are prone to tooth and gum issues. when we first got Maggie, we asked about that and were told they'd help us keep an eye on it. anyway, we asked about toothbrushing at about two years old and were told it wasn't necessary yet, but we could use greenies or denta stix. Last year they said she should see the groomer for a teeth cleaning every month so we did that. A month ago, we were told three teeth needed to be removed, but it could probably wait until January. My wife and I were both worried that would not be soon enough, so we scheduled the surgery for this past Monday...and they found the gum disease had accelerated rapidly, requiring the removal of about half of her teeth. So, veterinarians, like people doctors, don't always get it right. Illness sometimes catches them off guard too. She's doing fine though, and is loving having an egg a day and canned food.

Well, take heart--a dog can have all its teeth removed and still get along just fine on canned food. They will live longer with no teeth than with bad ones.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

easyrider wrote:Teeth cleaning is not only essential in small dogs it is also critical in cats as well. AMISH.Isn't it their God that made the elements of modernization, but I guess in their minds modernization lead or contributes to sin.. but then again it didn't stop Adam and Eve and they were pretty primitive ..LOL..just some food for thought.. A clean life is a good life for sure.
I confess: The Luddite mindset has always been mysterious to me--well, I guess it is unfair to the Amish to refer to them as Luddites. The Luddites feared innovation in the workplace--automation might mean an end to their livelihood (which in fact it did. They went from being skilled artisans to machine tenders). The Amish have religious grounds for their backward looking ways. God got as far as the 19th century with his part of the creation and then the devil took over. haha
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:How old is your dog? My little friend was 15 when she took sick with Cushing's disease. Her back teeth were bad but she was too weak to stand cleaning, let alone surgery. I consider it a failure on my part that she got those bad teeth--I neglected to either clean her teeth or take her to have it done while it still might have been done. I did try for a while to brush her teeth but she was so resolutely adverse to that procedure that before too long I gave up on it. Her death was probably hastened by the consequences of those rotten teeth.

Maggie is only 4. Her breed (and a lot of small breeds from what I understand), are prone to tooth and gum issues. when we first got Maggie, we asked about that and were told they'd help us keep an eye on it. anyway, we asked about toothbrushing at about two years old and were told it wasn't necessary yet, but we could use greenies or denta stix. Last year they said she should see the groomer for a teeth cleaning every month so we did that. A month ago, we were told three teeth needed to be removed, but it could probably wait until January. My wife and I were both worried that would not be soon enough, so we scheduled the surgery for this past Monday...and they found the gum disease had accelerated rapidly, requiring the removal of about half of her teeth. So, veterinarians, like people doctors, don't always get it right. Illness sometimes catches them off guard too. She's doing fine though, and is loving having an egg a day and canned food.

The Amish are as varied a people as any other. You have good folks and bad. One thing I've learned about them over the years is, they tend to make very good neighbors. If any of their neighbors need help, they are the first to lend a hand. They work hard and try to live in harmony with others. Of course, shoofly pie is awesome.
Did you try antibiotics for the gum disease before removing the teeth or was it too advanced?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:
easyrider wrote:Teeth cleaning is not only essential in small dogs it is also critical in cats as well. AMISH.Isn't it their God that made the elements of modernization, but I guess in their minds modernization lead or contributes to sin.. but then again it didn't stop Adam and Eve and they were pretty primitive ..LOL..just some food for thought.. A clean life is a good life for sure.
I confess: The Luddite mindset has always been mysterious to me--well, I guess it is unfair to the Amish to refer to them as Luddites. The Luddites feared innovation in the workplace--automation might mean an end to their livelihood (which in fact it did. They went from being skilled artisans to machine tenders). The Amish have religious grounds for their backward looking ways. God got as far as the 19th century with his part of the creation and then the devil took over. haha

Borderline offensive.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Bought a health plan for each of our three dogs. Among other benefits, the plan includes twice yearly teeth cleaning. Best investment we've ever made for our four-legged kids.

Tried toothbrushes but the dogs bite at the brush and it's tough to keep them still while doing it (especially with the 125-pound boy pictured to the left).
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bash On! wrote:Bought a health plan for each of our three dogs. Among other benefits, the plan includes twice yearly teeth cleaning. Best investment we've ever made for our four-legged kids.

Tried toothbrushes but the dogs bite at the brush and it's tough to keep them still while doing it (especially with the 125-pound boy pictured to the left).
To your left or ours?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I try not to judge others beliefs, but the Amish can be quite a contradiction at times. The first time I saw an Amishman on rollerblades I nearly drove off the road.

But, they do have a simple life for the most part, and there's something to be said for hard work and clean living...though many do smoke and there are a number of alchoholics among them...so...never mind.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
honkerman wrote:

Did you try antibiotics for the gum disease before removing the teeth or was it too advanced?
It was too far along sadly.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

:| Giving the dog a good checkover tomorrow