First 100 mile trip on my Forza NSS300A

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

rmc10
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: red

First 100 mile trip on my Forza NSS300A

Post by rmc10 »

I bought this scooter to use camping. I have two Goldwings that I ride, but after putting one hundred plus miles on my Forza today, riding Goldwings will never be the same. I rode backroads, all on mountains and curvy roads. It handled great. I rode 50 to 55 mph the whole trip. I'm 66 years old, and the Goldwings are getting hard to handle. Guess its time for them to go. Love my Forza. rmc10
asolof
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: Red

Re: First 100 mile trip on my Forza NSS300A

Post by asolof »

Me too. I'm just about to turn 66 and just downsized from a Burgman 650 to the Forza 300 for the same reason. I also like it, but everything is a compromise. I'm still setting it up and haven't taken any long trips on it yet. If my plan were to continue taking trips of thousands of miles each, I would have kept the Burgman. Its clear to me the Forza handles well at sub 70MPH speeds, so worse case scenario is if I don't feel comfortable with it on the Interstate highways I'll avoid them. I'm curious to see how it handles crosswinds at 70 - 80 MPH with my Givi AirFlow screen and large V56 top box (sail effect). I had a Givi E52 on both the Burgman 400 & 650 bikes, and the 400 was much more sensitive than the 650 to air turbulence. The Forza is about 30 lb lighter than the Burgman 400 so I need to test this out some more. I'd prefer not being blown off the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
2016 Forza 300
Givi Airflow, Givi V56, Admore lights, Vista Cruise
Previous Bikes: 2006 B400, 2009 B650
rmc10
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by rmc10 »

I have a rear box ordered, and I plan to put tall windshield on my Forza. I don't plan to ride on interstate so I want be riding 65 plus mph. I really do like the burgman 400 and the 650. I may consider one of them if I get rid of my goldwings. rmc10
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by MBMyer »

I'm a year-round rider in the Deep South who traded in his Wing for the Forza last summer. I realized that I had stopped touring and was only commuting. During the last 30 months I owned the Wing, I had only put 7K on the clock. Before that, I averaged 15K each year. So I stepped down to an urban commuter that gets much better mileage and can be parked just about anywhere.

The change has taken some getting used to, but I'm enjoying the Forza and have done a few mods:
• Givi AF adjustable screen
• Givi Maxia III 55 liter top box with light kit, passenger backrest and luggage rack (which I use as a cargo web attachment point when putting cargo on the pillion)
• Malossi rear shocks
• foam grip covers for a fater and softer grip
• Vista-Cruise throttle lock (which took modifying the throttle grip)
• oversized bar end-weights (more for fitting the next item better than for any other reason)
• Tucano Urbano winter muffs when it gets cold
• Tucano Urbano lap blanket / leg cover also for the chilly damp weather

You may be interested to know that the same collection of oil filters that work on the GL1800 also work on the NSS300, but the oil drain bolt crush washer is a different size. Just in case you have spares hanging around.

I am at low elevation at a confluence of rivers, so my mileage tends to be on the low side. When I lived in Durham, the Wing got ~42mpg around town, but here in Columbia I was normally below 35mpg. The Forza has a lifetime average of 60mpg. During the summer, an around-town tankful riding one-up is normally 68mpg. Getting out onto the superslab to run up to Charlotte or down to Charleston drops that to about 52 mpg. As always, YMMV.

Enjoy the scoot!
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
asolof

Post by asolof »

<< Vista-Cruise throttle lock (which took modifying the throttle grip)>>

Strange ... I didn't need to modify the throttle grip to install a Universal Vista Cruise for 7/8" handlebar.
2016 Forza 300
asolof

Post by asolof »

Off topic, but here is how the unmodified Vista Cruise looks.
Attachments
IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2318.JPG (51.3 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
2016 Forza 300
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

My pix for the install of a smaller VistaCruise are here:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4987
6 other previous bikes
asolof

Post by asolof »

<<So I picked up one for Hondas in the right diameter for the Forza’s throttle & grip.>>
I had actually saved the link to your post (not realizing it was you), expecting to have to follow your procedure. The difference must be you used a "Honda" Vista Cruise and I used a Universal Vista Cruise.
2016 Forza 300
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Post by flyingzonker »

rmc10 wrote:I bought this scooter to use camping. I have two Goldwings that I ride, but after putting one hundred plus miles on my Forza today, riding Goldwings will never be the same. I rode backroads, all on mountains and curvy roads. It handled great. I rode 50 to 55 mph the whole trip. I'm 66 years old, and the Goldwings are getting hard to handle. Guess its time for them to go. Love my Forza. rmc10
Goldwings are pretty, but they are monsters all the same. They are no country for old men, and yet, it is the old guys that seem most drawn to them. Go figure.. Maybe the younger guys have all their money invested in raising their kids?

I don't think the Forza would much like the interstates--it could do it but it would take all it has and that ain't good.
rmc10
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by rmc10 »

I have installed rear box on my Forza. I hope to have my windshield on by this week. I have put a couple hundred more miles on my scooter, and I am enjoying it more every time I ride it. I will say I don't think I care to ride the interstate on this Forza. It has plenty of speed but It is a little lite for this type of riding for my taste. I will see how the windshield effects my ride. Is there any scooter clubs that like to get together for rides.
asolof

Post by asolof »

rmc10,

You are spoiled. When I had my Burgman 400, I routinely took it to Florida, Canada, Mexico via Interstates & didn't think anything of it. Having had a Burgman 650, knowing how much better it is on the Interstate, I am now aware of "the problem".
2016 Forza 300
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

I forgot to mention the CB500X mirrors, which stick out a bit more on the sides and allow me to actually see what's behind me.

Here's a picture of the Forza and the 500X mirrors lying next to each other:

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?p=83144#p83144
MBMyer wrote:I'm a year-round rider in the Deep South who traded in his Wing for the Forza last summer. I realized that I had stopped touring and was only commuting. During the last 30 months I owned the Wing, I had only put 7K on the clock. Before that, I averaged 15K each year. So I stepped down to an urban commuter that gets much better mileage and can be parked just about anywhere.

The change has taken some getting used to, but I'm enjoying the Forza and have done a few mods:
• Givi AF adjustable screen
• Givi Maxia III 55 liter top box with light kit, passenger backrest and luggage rack (which I use as a cargo web attachment point when putting cargo on the pillion)
• Malossi rear shocks
• foam grip covers for a fater and softer grip
• Vista-Cruise throttle lock (which took modifying the throttle grip)
• oversized bar end-weights (more for fitting the next item better than for any other reason)
• Tucano Urbano winter muffs when it gets cold
• Tucano Urbano lap blanket / leg cover also for the chilly damp weather

You may be interested to know that the same collection of oil filters that work on the GL1800 also work on the NSS300, but the oil drain bolt crush washer is a different size. Just in case you have spares hanging around.

I am at low elevation at a confluence of rivers, so my mileage tends to be on the low side. When I lived in Durham, the Wing got ~42mpg around town, but here in Columbia I was normally below 35mpg. The Forza has a lifetime average of 60mpg. During the summer, an around-town tankful riding one-up is normally 68mpg. Getting out onto the superslab to run up to Charlotte or down to Charleston drops that to about 52 mpg. As always, YMMV.

Enjoy the scoot!
Michael
6 other previous bikes