Tail Light Assembly & Fix

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Tail Light Assembly & Fix

Post by gn2 »

Absolutely no point whatsoever trading a PCX against another PCX.
If you want more performance you need to be looking to go to at least a 250.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

In the US the 150 is freeway legal. The 125 is not.
Sometimes a two minute ride on the freeway will save 15 minutes in traffic on side streets. I try to avoid driving my PCX on the freeway, but occasionally it helps.

Meanwhile there’s no shame in a 20% increase in power, and raising top speed 10 mph without increased in fuel consumption.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I hear ya gn2...it is a crazy consideration :roll: Plus, I really love my white with gold hues. Still...., I'm thinking about it. Why? The ability to keep up with the flow of traffic (60 plus), having a nearby service dealer, and I'd be hoping to transfer my present Extended warranty with the purchase. Again...is that all worth the 2 grand? I just went full circle on that :roll:
Yep a 250 would be the expected/smarter choice, as my Piaggio MP3 250 was... except that was just too darn wide, heavy and bulky for my body. Wonderful ride though. I'm not sure of a good 250 machine in the states these days. Vespa is heavy, too costly upfront and while owned, repairs & panel replacements....ouch! I'll see what comes of this imature nonsense I'm putting myself through lately... :oops:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Urbanian, good points, and well said. I feel the same/ride the same
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I did the brakelight switch today but I'm at a standstill now. All the panels I mentioned earlier were removed in 20 mins (that was the fast part) then things got tricky snaking and routing the switch wire down to its connection behind the meter panel. It's in the right location now but I can't get the old switch wires disconnected. Me and wires? Not so good as of late :| Now asking for help on disconnecting them :oops:
More pics:
Attachments
1. New Left Lever Brake Light Switch Assembly.JPG
1. New Left Lever Brake Light Switch Assembly.JPG (27.12 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
2. Brakelight switch connection at a distance. Housing boot was pulled away to get access.JPG
2. Brakelight switch connection at a distance. Housing boot was pulled away to get access.JPG (51.45 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
3. Brakelight switch connection up close. How do I remove these 2 wires from connector.JPG
3. Brakelight switch connection up close. How do I remove these 2 wires from connector.JPG (37.3 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Looks like that transparent green silicone is just insulation to pull aside. Then unplug the bullet connector underneath. Use 2 pliers either side for grip if they are tight. If you break the insulation just re wrap in electrical or other tape!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

WhiteNoise wrote:I'm not sure of a good 250 machine in the states these days.
Kymco Downtown 300i or People GT300i, both excellent machines.
http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scoote ... index.html
http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scoote ... index.html

Piaggio Beverly Sport Touring, for some weird reason the US version doesn't have the ABS or Traction control, but it does have the totally excellent new 330 engine with it's 6000 mile oil changes and 12000 mile services. ;)
http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.html#!s=home/bv-350

And hot off the press, Sym have just re-introduced the Citycom 300i to the States
http://alliancepowersports.com/

Given time they might also bring the new Joymax 300i...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Taz thanks for the tip. The silicone insulation is on really tight. Geez, is it heat shrunk on there? :roll: I thought about holding a needle nose pliers at one end while pulling at the other end, but then decided to ask here first. I'm a bit fearful of tearing it and maybe even damaging the connector inside it (along with the "good wires" that run to the other brake lever).
Still, what else can I do? No other choice, right?
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

its only insulation, cut it off with a sharp knife or scalpel! Its only 12 volts, you wont harm yourself!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2 I looked at your bike links, thanks for sharing them. Newly announced Sym is interesting. I checked all the bikes weight/heights. For me, the seats are a bit high and some too heavy. I went to local Piaggio dealer anxious to see and sit on the Beverly 350. Really nice but seat too high, and oddly I felt my knees and body were too forward. Crowded, my nose in screen kind of feeling. The seat on my MP3 was close to a 31" not a safe feeling so I sold it. I don't want to make that costly mistake again. 29 to 30" high & under 325lbs. would probably be good. I waited so long for the PCX to arrive...I'm so glad I did ;)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Jerk it off with pliers, it'll be fine. Those connectors are the same as the ones for the taillights, and they're quite durable. I certainly wouldn't attack it with a knife though, you should be able to grasp one end, and pull the other out with pliers.

I would definitely NOT trade my PCX150 for a 125, unless the trade was free or only a couple hundred dollars. You can get a used PCX for $2000 if you look hard enough! :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Okay thanks guys. Hold & pull, it is. I pray this fix makes the brake light "shine again!"
No way would I trade a 150 for a 125 pcx,....but the other way around? Thinking about that now, but most likely not doing ;) It's "White" after all :D
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Sorry, I meant trade my PCX125 for a 150. Oops. :oops:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

no problemo ;)
Been busy with family matters (hint...Mom). So I hope to get back to this soon
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Great Sunday! The deed is done! I used two pliers to pull the bullet wires out of the silicone sleeved connector (thanks Dave and Taz for All your help :P
Next....and As I expected, getting the "New" switch "bullet ends" into the connector was more of a PITA due to the flexability of the wires. I used a needlenose plier to push them in, but "feeling" the bullets lock-in was hard. To make sure they would stay put, I added some electrical tape.
Turned the key, braked and..... Voila :D
Attachments
New one Works! Left Brake Light Switch & Bulb Replaced.jpg
New one Works! Left Brake Light Switch & Bulb Replaced.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here is the Bad switch. Yes, :? all those fussy bits Are what makes up the left brake light switch.
(That have Now been filed under "G" as in garbage :D
Attachments
All bits of OLD  (left) brake light switch.JPG
All bits of OLD (left) brake light switch.JPG (55.58 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Well done. Sometimes what seems a simple job becomes a saga. I'm used to 12 v wiring as my boat has 8 batteries and solar charging. Even my bicycle is now electric.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Glad to hear you got it resolved, WN!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Bumping thread for member Driller.
Is this the problem? Hope it helps :)
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

Good work! Thanks for the help.
Part is ordered and the problem will son be resolved.

BTW, a tip for future reference is if you keep the contacts isolated with some electrical tape, the bike will still start and run. Of course the rear brake switch will not activate the light nor will it allow starting but the right brake lever will do both. Should not be a safety issue as the front brake switch is redundant and still functions.