Scooter videos

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Scooter videos

Post by fish »

If I might.....
Those of you who shoot scooter riding videos - please place the camera in some place so that we can see at least a piece of the scooter in action. The rear or front wheel turning, the suspension working, the dash....but best would be a scooter in front of you always in the view finder!

Please, something other than shots of pavement, shrubs, cars, stores, whizzing by while we listen to someone's favorite music track, or worse, foul and angry juvenile rants. (like the angry child who rides with his dog though dozens of videos in Taiwan)
We can always mute the video - but that too often leaves us with silent movies of just pavement.

True....we can always choose not to watch. But maybe more of us would find your videos watchable if your video proved it was shot from a scooter . So many scooter/motorcycle videos seem as though they could have just as possibly been shot by a GoPro duct taped to the hood of your mother-in-law's Buick.

There are wonderful examples of scooter videos on youtube taken by a fellow with a camera mounted on his Burgman 200 . What makes these so interesting for 1/2 an hour at a time is that he constantly has other scooters on screen in front of him, as they ride up into the Alps. They are scooter riding videos featuring --- scooters!!

Just my 2 centimes
Fish
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Scooter videos

Post by honkerman »

Interesting perspective.

I'll tell ya though, it's a lot more complicated than you might initially assume to get more shots of the scooter itself in a motovlog. I've got a helmet cam now and occasionally get shots of the dash, like in my most recent Sunday Scootin' entry, but getting a whole shot of the scoot while I'm on it...not so easy. Also difficult to get shots of other scooters when one is primarily a solo rider.

In a way though, it kinda proves one of the things I set out to. It proves that scooters can do much the same as motorcycles and to the casual observer there is no difference.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I find 5-10 minute long vlogs are easier to digest and are more likely to be watched.
The 20+ minute vlogs tend to go by the wayside until I get the time to watch them, if I do.
Clean 720p+ video (pref. helmet cam) with good audio quality goes a long way too.
I suggest not to vlog at dusk/twilight/night if you know your camera isn't up to the task.

BTW: The angry child in Taiwan started moto/scootovlogging.
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

I find nobody but me watches my videos. I don't blather on and I don't have music because anytime I load with music YouTube blocks it for copyright infringement. Here's a 6:22 video where I'm riding along the California Coast and later a bit inland with a motorcycle meetup group. The lead is on a V-strom 650, the woman in front of me is on a Honda CBR500R. Behind me and not seen is a guy on a BMW K1200RT. You can see part of my screen. Proof I'm really riding. I cut the wind noise down digitally, by about 50%. Any clicking noise is me releasing the brake. Speeds between 25 and 50mph. But mostly 35. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db3HXzixLgg

Here I'm second wheel behind the V-strom as we run through a young redwood forest and then along Tomales Bay. We're cruising a bit faster this time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW51BgbV13Q

Lanesplitting into the city. Scooter windshield and fast trak pass visible. Definitely not in a car going down the dashed line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpA4VuEYqJ8
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Fish, can you put up a sample video to make your point so it's "visible" to us? I for one would appreciate it. I've never shot a video while moving on my scooter. I figure it mounts chest height and off you go. Guess there's much more to it. Member homie does real good at this.

Lanesplitter, I think you did real good too. Lovin' the curvy roads with super scenery. Jealous :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

fish wrote:Please, something other than shots of pavement, shrubs, cars, stores, whizzing by while we listen to someone's favorite music track, or worse, foul and angry juvenile rants.
How about a late-night run on my PCX to McDonald's with me making stupid small talk with the clerk about her hot cakes - is that what you want? :D

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

It was a couple of GatorGreg's videos that convinced me that I needed a PCX for my first scoot.
axeltow
Year: 2016

Post by axeltow »

Is helmet cam really the preferred way? I know it helps with vibration but I am wondering where else one can put it.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

chicaboo wrote:I find 5-10 minute long vlogs are easier to digest and are more likely to be watched .....
5-6 mins is the max to keep my attention. Even less if it is just riding without anything happening.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I don't make long winded video's, I don't have the software to edit them properly anyway. Even my valve clearance video is a playlist broken into 14 sessions.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

homie wrote:I don't make long winded video's, I don't have the software to edit them properly anyway. Even my valve clearance video is a playlist broken into 14 sessions.
Where can one find this series? I would like to see the procedure.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Lane splitting.. Looks risky.. all it takes is one guy to open his door to spill out his coffee and your gone !!.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:Lane splitting.. Looks risky.. all it takes is one guy to open his door to spill out his coffee and your gone !!.
In the UK the guy opening the door would be guilty of an offence and his insurer would have to pay out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
easyrider wrote:Lane splitting.. Looks risky.. all it takes is one guy to open his door to spill out his coffee and your gone !!.
In the UK the guy opening the door would be guilty of an offence and his insurer would have to pay out.

I don't understand the drinking coffee in the car bit. What's next a mixed salad in the bath?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:
Yep and your still dead..

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-lane-sp ... 1550639938
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

flyingzonker wrote:
homie wrote:I don't make long winded video's, I don't have the software to edit them properly anyway. Even my valve clearance video is a playlist broken into 14 sessions.
Where can one find this series? I would like to see the procedure.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:
This is where defensive driving is important. In countries such as Thailand where land splitting is a way of life and motorcycles are almost a numerous as cars, everyone (driver and passengers) learns to check before they get out of a car to make sure that there isn't an approaching motorcycle. But in countries where it may be permissible to lane split, but there aren't as many motorcycles, it is even more incumbent on the motorcycle rider to exercise extreme caution when lane splitting. The car driver may be responsible and his/her insurance might have to pay, but the bottom line is that you would have been in an accident. If that can be avoided, you owe it to yourself (and your family) to take the necessary defensive steps to prevent it if possible. No amount of money makes a life changing accident worth it.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

easyrider wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Yep and your still dead..

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-lane-sp ... 1550639938
Yep. There's nothing good about being dead and right. Lane splitting has it's risks. I'm willing to take them. The coffee one has never occurred to me. Cagers are much more aware of motorcycles here and many make room to pass.
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

WhiteNoise wrote:Fish, can you put up a sample video to make your point so it's "visible" to us? I for one would appreciate it. I've never shot a video while moving on my scooter. I figure it mounts chest height and off you go. Guess there's much more to it. Member homie does real good at this.

Lanesplitter, I think you did real good too. Lovin' the curvy roads with super scenery. Jealous :)
Thanks WhiteNoise.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Most states has lane splitting as an illegal traffic infraction. California is the exception however.The basic rule in California is that all persons are supposed to act reasonably in the operation of their vehicles. California Law, Vehicle Code Section 22350 makes it unlawful to operate a vehicle at a speed which is unreasonable for the given traffic and roadway conditions. A jury may attribute fault for lane changes or lane splitting if someone riding a motorcycle was unreasonable, given the traffic and roadway conditions. This means that you will probably lose the case or at best be considered as contributing negligence....so make sure your health insurance is paid up? Be careful !!