You tell me...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

You tell me...

Post by honkerman »

So, I'm planning to take a trip on the scoot as soon as I finish school on the 19th. I've got some ideas but want some input. There is more info on my blog and a poll to boot!

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2016/07 ... -vote.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: You tell me...

Post by kramnala58 »

If there is a good used Forza in your area, you could pick it up for me and ride up to Niagara Falls to deliver it ... and get the bus home. ;) :lol:

My wife and I may be in your area sometime in August to visit Sight & Sound, so maybe I should think about looking in your area as well and ride it back myself. Hmmmm, now it has me thinking .......
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

kramnala58 wrote:If there is a good used Forza in your area, you could pick it up for me and ride up to Niagara Falls to deliver it ... and get the bus home. ;) :lol:

My wife and I may be in your area sometime in August to visit Sight & Sound, so maybe I should think about looking in your area as well and ride it back myself. Hmmmm, now it has me thinking .......
Well, it's not a Forza, but I do have a 2006 Piaggio BV250 for sale. :D
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

There's not much I'd go to America for. Mostly to see the family in CO, but hitting the Dragon's Tail would be a dream come true.
Mind you, for the same reasons, I can see why you are torn over the two choices.
What tickles your harp strings more? Reconnecting with your family, your heritage, or a dream?
I say do all of it at some time. It's the only way to be sure. :P
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

The Skyline Drive. I love riding the PCX, but I don't love riding at speeds above 50 mph and my ideal is 5 or 10 miles beneath that. My feeling is the bike was designed (and wonderfully designed, I must say) strictly for intraurban running about. Nothing beats it, in my experience, at what it's good at.

That being said, a rider with more skill, or with more cojones, might just love the PCX best when it is wot.

Vive la difference!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

No question about (IMHO) the skyline drive is the best . I have been thinking about doing it this summer as well. Vistas and curves with views are just beautiful with plenty of pull offs for R/R and a 35 mph is a comfortable scenic pace ideal for the environment. Long Island especially around Smithtown is congested and traffic heavy and motels are far and few and expensive. Deals gap is very oscillating and radical curvy but scenic along a river, but I don't think you are going to do those curves much more than 15-20 mph.. and making hard lefts and rights constantly may get tiring after a bit. Lots of motorcyclists on the weekends and a good hangout for two wheelers.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, since I have been to Skyline drive and it is a beautiful drive, I would vote for it. As for the Tail of the Dragon, that would be a dream for another time for you. It is quite a stretch to get there, and you would be really tired once you got there, so I don't think you would enjoy it as much as you would want to. We have a mini version of the Tail here in Georgia, which is nice because we can go whenever we want to. North Carolina isn't that far from us but on a PCX it is one of those trips that will require you to rest after you get there. I can't imagine taking a PCX down from PA and then having the energy to not only ride the Gap but then ride it back to PA.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Paul - it all depends on how far you want to travel.

Skyline Drive is close to you. The Drive is about 115 miles long with a 35 MPH speed limit. It continues into the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is nice as well - just not as many mountain curves. About 400 plus miles at 45 MPH.

If you just do Skyline Drive, the nearby roads in Virginia make a nice loop.

Deals Gap / Tail of the Dragon is pretty far away. You could tack in on at the end of the Blue Ridge. Nice roads if you cut through Great Smokey National Park, and do the Dragon Tail west to east. But the curvy stretch is only 11 miles long - and jammed with speed freaks on the weekends.

A great scooter ride is the Natchez Trace Parkway. 450 miles long starting in Nashville. It has a 50 MPH speed limit, but is Federally patrolled and they are real strict about that speed limit.

BUT - the longer you travel out means the longer you travel back.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you all are echoing my thoughts. I was leaning toward the Skyline drive because of my limited time, and the trip would add two states to the list of those I've traveled on a 150 cc scooter. I'll still let people weigh in for the sake of my blog.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

Skyline Drive. It would be fun on a PCX. Dubois, PA? That's 210 miles from the north end of the Skyline Drive. The non-highway roads to get there are going to have 55mph speed limits. You'll have to do a bit of work to chart alternate routes on smaller roads.
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

I'd suggest Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) as well, but it looks like a two-day journey just to get you out there...so maybe not.

For my money (and I know it's not), I have always wanted to do a 2-wheel tour of the Outer Banks. Seems like it would be around 300 miles to the area, which is a day.

Whatever you do, have a fun, and congratulations on getting edjumucated!

Mike
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

What a nice problem to have--lots of good choices! If it were me and it were the first really long trip, I'd do the closest option. If I liked it, even longer trips would follow.

My most memorable trip on Skyline Drive was to take the bar exam (to get a law license). Lived in northern Virginia and the exam was only held in Roanoke, Virginia. Was nervous about the exam but the drive down Skyline Drive (and a bit of the Blue Ridge Parkway) to Roanoke was relaxing and fun.

You have fun, too!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?