Central stand

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Eziofezio
Year: 2016
Color: white

Central stand

Post by Eziofezio »

This is also a warning! When I bought my bike I noticed that the small foot panel(metal piece where you place your foot when using the stand) on the central stand was shinny black, this was the first time I saw this as all other scooter have indentations to improve grip when using the stand. Initially I thought that it's probably more comfortable or something.
THEN! the accident happened that made me rethink this part of the scooter: while using the central stand my foot slipped, i lost control and the bike fell! It fell luckily on another crap scooter! It didn't scratch my bike but it upset me a lot and made me criticise this part of the stand, no wonder other scooters don't share the the the same defect.
Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a solution? Thanks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Central stand

Post by gn2 »

The solution is to learn how to put the scooter on the stand properly.
Left hand on the handlebar, right hand on the grab handle and right foot on the centre stand.
Push the stand down and make sure both of the stand feet are in contact with the ground, then put your weight on your right foot.
You don't lift the scooter with your hands but with your weight on the right foot.
If enough of your weight is on your right foot and you are wearing the approproiate sturdy footwear for riding a scooter, your foot will never slip.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Eziofezio wrote: I lost control and the bike fell! It fell luckily on another crap scooter!
did he call my scooter CRAP! i'm offended
Attachments
crazys.jpg
crazys.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Eziofezio wrote:This is also a warning! When I bought my bike I noticed that the small foot panel(metal piece where you place your foot when using the stand) on the central stand was shinny black, this was the first time I saw this as all other scooter have indentations to improve grip when using the stand. Initially I thought that it's probably more comfortable or something.
THEN! the accident happened that made me rethink this part of the scooter: while using the central stand my foot slipped, i lost control and the bike fell! It fell luckily on another crap scooter! It didn't scratch my bike but it upset me a lot and made me criticise this part of the stand, no wonder other scooters don't share the the the same defect.
Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a solution? Thanks

Are you really blaming the stand?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

gn2 wrote:The solution is to learn how to put the scooter on the stand properly.
Left hand on the handlebar, right hand on the grab handle and right foot on the centre stand.
Push the stand down and make sure both of the stand feet are in contact with the ground, then put your weight on your right foot.
You don't lift the scooter with your hands but with your weight on the right foot.
If enough of your weight is on your right foot and you are wearing the approproiate sturdy footwear for riding a scooter, your foot will never slip.
GN2 is right as usual ..Perfect description of how it's done, right here.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

k2apache6.0 wrote:
gn2 wrote:The solution is to learn how to put the scooter on the stand properly.
GN2 is right as usual ..Perfect description of how it's done, right here.
Yep. Tbh, I've used dozens of different centerstands on various bikes and few of them have what I would call a non-skid surface. In fact, I happen to own two scooters and despite the fact that both have "shiny black" surfaces (something we call "paint"), my foot has never slipped off either of them, nor off any of the shiny black center stands of bikes or scooters I've owned or worked on, simply because I follow the method listed above, and lean slightly over the bike to let my weight do all the work. When I worked in the IT world, we used to call your type of issue an "ID-10T" error.

See the pics below and tell me how one is less slippery than the other.
Attachments
Pcx
Pcx
image.jpg (24.9 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Piaggio
Piaggio
image.jpeg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I Never use the side stand, always use the center, never a single problem, practice and get it right......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

People generally think that you have to pull the bike back to get it on the stand. That's when it slips. You don't, just let your weight do the work.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

And always make sure BOTH pegs are firmly touching level ground before starting the LIFT motion using your weight as mentioned.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Was we too rough on the new guy from Spain. I like Spain... its a great town
Attachments
juicyfruit.jpg
juicyfruit.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Was we too rough on the new guy from Spain. I like Spain... its a great town

I never know if you are being serious.

Says lives in Barcelona but my €20 says is from the UK. The Spanish aren't this inept with scooters :lol:
Eziofezio

Post by Eziofezio »

Holly molly! Got a lot of answers this time!!! Haha! Yeah I admit it was completely my fault. GN2 is right in you have to put your weight in it.
I was just wondering why many other scooters do not have that part shiny and what the reason is.
I peg your pardon to everyone that was offended in anyway by my main comment.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Don't worry. If anybody was offended, it's their problem. Welcome aboard.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:Was we too rough on the new guy from Spain. I like Spain... its a great town
I hear the rain there falls mainly on the plain...

Kinda like Lancaster county...
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Eziofezio wrote:Holly molly! Got a lot of answers this time!!! Haha! Yeah I admit it was completely my fault. GN2 is right in you have to put your weight in it.
I was just wondering why many other scooters do not have that part shiny and what the reason is.
I peg your pardon to everyone that was offended in anyway by my main comment.
Not offended. Just thought it was funny that you were blaming the scoot for your lack of technique. :D
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Eziofezio

Post by Eziofezio »

you you wrote:

Says lives in Barcelona but my €20 says is from the UK. The Spanish aren't this inept with scooters :lol:
What a stupid comment. How do you know? Have you ever been to Spain? You would have noticed there a LOT more scooters
compared to the Uk. Yes I can say this becuase I lived in both countries not like you!
Did you see the pictures of my bike? Where do you find sunny beaches with palm trees in the UK?
Why would I lie to everybody on this forum about my location?
"I'm actually a nice guy and can behave :)" yeah right
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Eziofezio wrote:
you you wrote:

What a stupid comment. How do you know? Have you ever been to Spain? You would have noticed there a LOT more scooters
compared to the Uk. Yes I can say this becuase I lived in both countries not like you!
Did you see the pictures of my bike? Where do you find sunny beaches with palm trees in the UK?
It was a joke. To a native English speaker, the sarcasm would have been obvious. This is not intended as an affront toward you, but rather an acknowledgment that you are apparently not a native English speaker and the vagaries of the language may not be as obvious to you.

To be fair, 2yous is usually more difficult to decipher than this. Of course, he's from the UK so he's not a native English speaker either.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Eziofezio wrote:Where do you find sunny beaches with palm trees in the UK?
Plockton.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

Ayr as well I think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Eziofezio wrote:
you you wrote:

Ok. Let's stop it here.

The are "you serious" bit was to Homie as am sure, as you are, that Spain isn't a town.

And the inept bit was a dig at the UK as the Spanish are not usually as hopeless with scooters as you are.