Maui scoot'en

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Maui scoot'en

Post by homie »

flyingzonker wrote:It is certainly beautiful in Hawaii, so I'm told, but bone-crushingly expensive to live there. As for amenities and the availability of consumer goods, I would imagine is in the same category as Australia--pretty sparse by mainland USA standards.
no Amazon? Oh that's a deal breaker for me! Nice place to VACA but couldn't live there if cant get the latest widgets.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

flyingzonker wrote:It is certainly beautiful in Hawaii, so I'm told, but bone-crushingly expensive to live there. As for amenities and the availability of consumer goods, I would imagine is in the same category as Australia--pretty sparse by mainland USA standards.
It kind of depends on which island you're on - I've been to all 4 major islands and I think Oahu with Honolulu was not much different than USA mainland in terms of availability of stores and restaurants, etc. Maui is probably one step down, than the Big Island, and lastly Kauai is at the most isolated end of the scale IMO. They all have their pros and cons so if I had to live there I'd be torn as to which one I'd choose.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
SBMAUI
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by SBMAUI »

Homie, no worries. I have Amazon Prime. I ordered a tankless water heater and it got here in two days.

Housing is pretty much the killer here. The rest of your expenses are not too bad if you know where to go. In some respects, it can be less expensive. I have no heating bills, hardly ever use my A/C. Clothing is basic, mostly shorts, tee shirts and flip flops. Formal ware is pretty much Tommy Bahama shorts/slacks, shirts and flip flops. I would be hard pressed to find a tie on short notice.

Shopping...GatorGreg is pretty much on spot. Oahu has most everything. The rest of the islands can be more of a challenge. It's not really shopping but more like foraging. Whatever falls to the forest floor that day is what you buy. But even Kauai now has its own Costco. I cannot overstate how Costco has made living here much more affordable, including the price of gas. The islands of Lanai and Molokai are still pretty isolated with limited flights and ferry service, but change is rapidly happening on Lanai thanks to Larry Ellison. But remoteness and a quiet laid back lifestyle is what brings many of us out here.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I loved flying over Molokai. I think it would be great to live there. Lanai was nice but really not much there. Of course Maui was great. Unfortunately it has gotten so touristy that I wouldn't want to live there now. I think Charles Lindberg is rolling over in his grave now. He loved the solitude and peace up there close to Seven Sisters Falls.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

SBMAUI... thank you I was back peddling fast, must be able to order STUFF. Don't care how long it takes to get it. That one Costco was comforting on Maui (made Homie feel at home) Going to be at the big pink condo's next year for a short time then off to the main island because we are being advised to consider all Hawaii has to offer before settling on Maui as a possible retirement in the Pacific.

Mel... yes tourist were off the map in Honolulu and I won't be back there but Maui was a whole different experience. Can you imagine those mountain roads if there were a bunch of tourist up there OMG they would be going over like lemmings.

I did take a nice helicopter tour of Oahu, Honolulu to get away from the whole Asian thing they have going on. Took some pictures of the Arizona because I really couldn't see from the inside of the memorial. Wow she still leeks oil after 75 years and expected to leak for another 75. They call it "tears of the sailors"
Attachments
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG (326.05 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0481.JPG (53.19 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

This was my scoot for the ride, if they still have it pick something else. I tried to get that big woman to saddle up but as you can see she was running away.... I like a big girl :D
Attachments
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG (134.42 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

homie wrote:
no Amazon? Oh that's a deal breaker for me! Nice place to VACA but couldn't live there if cant get the latest widgets.
The one really problematic aspect with retiring to places like Hawaii, Mexico, Thailand etc., is that as old age gets older you will find yourself needing to call on your next of kin for some support--I'm sorry but this almost always happens when enough years have gone by--and your next of kin--your children, your siblings, whatever-- will probably be thousands of miles away when you need them--add that to the distance they possible may already be from you while living on the same continent.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

flyingzonker wrote:
homie wrote:
The one really problematic aspect with retiring to places like Hawaii, Mexico, Thailand etc., is that as old age gets older you will find yourself needing to call on your next of kin for some support--I'm sorry but this almost always happens when enough years have gone by--and your next of kin--your children, your siblings, whatever-- will probably be thousands of miles away when you need them--add that to the distance they possible may already be from you while living on the same continent.
I was thinking where's the stent doctor too... you know Chicago medicine is hard to beat. And where will my dog get a good squirrel for lunch? Do they even have suicidal squirrels in Hawaii like we have here in Illinois? Don't watch this if you have a week disposition, my dog is alpha class critter killer and you can't train it out of him... it is what it is, and it's not pretty.

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

My dogs are up at the top of the alpha class squirrel killers. We have 4...yes 4...Jack Russell Terriers (terrors). They were born and raised to kill little critters. Squirrels?? There is only 1 squirrel left brave enough to come down and try to get bird seed at the bird feeder. He has probably had his life flash before him multiple times now. Rabbits?? That population within our 3/4 acre has been decimated. Now we see rabbits when we take our dogs on walks, but they won't come anywhere near our yard. Chipmunks?? There is one left in our yard, and it knows not to come out when any of the dog's are out in the yard. It has a hole within the flower garden so they let it live if it makes it to its hole. Field mice?? We had one of those make an appearance this morning and it died a quick death. These guys and gals can run down a rabbit in a heartbeat. They are soo much fun to watch.
Still, I would not take them to Hawaii. The mongoose is not a creature to be messed with, and they are all over Oahu.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

OH Mel you're right! I saw these weasel like critters everywhere but didn't think them to be a threat to any dog of reasonable stature. I will have to look up some YT references to these... Mongeese.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

homie wrote:OH Mel you're right! I saw these weasel like critters everywhere but didn't think them to be a threat to any dog of reasonable stature. I will have to look up some YT references to these... Mongeese.
Your dog would really like Kauai - there are tons of wild juicy chickens running around everywhere!

Speaking of chickens Homie, I'm glad you didn't run into these crazy chicks o_O

Judge orders ex-Florida woman's release in crash off Maui cliff that killed her twin:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/sfl ... story.html
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:... We have 4...yes 4...Jack Russell Terriers (terrors) ... They are soo much fun to watch.
I am not sure I have seen a dog with as much energy as a Jack Russell. I get tired just watching them.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

[quote="homie"][quote="flyingzonker"] I was thinking where's the stent doctor too... you know Chicago medicine is hard to beat. And where will my dog get a good squirrel for lunch? Do they even have suicidal squirrels in Hawaii like we have here in Illinois? Don't watch this if you have a week disposition, my dog is alpha class critter killer and you can't train it out of him... it is what it is, and it's not pretty.

You're starting to tip the scales for me--no stent doctors and the absence of Chicago medicine? All that, and Costco too? Looking better and better.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

flyingzonker wrote: You're starting to tip the scales for me--no stent doctors and the absence of Chicago medicine? All that, and Costco too? Looking better and better.
I need to recover and slap myself back to reality. It wouldn't be the lack of decent medical care that widows my lovely wife, more likely those cliffs and one yellow Buell, I better cool my jets.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

When I was in the Coast Guard and was stationed in Hawaii, we use to take off for a sunrise flight to the other islands. It was beautiful to watch the sunrise at 10,000 feet. We would fly over to Maui to check for 'Maui Waui' with DEA agents, or we would fly to the various light houses to make sure everything was in working order, or we would go to Molokai to check on the closing of the leper colony. It was all very beautiful. However, we had to use base facilities for shopping because the cost of everything was so high in Hawaii. You would have to be rich to live outside of the base, or shop outside of the base. It is definitely a tourist haven, and you had better have plenty of money in order to go there.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote: However, we had to use base facilities for shopping because the cost of everything was so high in Hawaii. You would have to be rich to live outside of the base, or shop outside of the base. It is definitely a tourist haven, and you had better have plenty of money in order to go there.
I'm not rich, we were there 9 days shopping, eating buying groceries for breakfast and snacks, burned plenty of gas at three bucks a gallon. The entertainment eats money fast but we all know that wouldn't continue, we have hobbies :D I guess living in the Chicagoland area takes the sticker shock off Hawaii IF and only if you were taking your jobs with you. And yes there would be Maui offices opened for both myself and my wife as we don't ever plan to just do nothing. Delegate to the next generation, keep pushing because if you sit down too long you're done.