Air cooled?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tinoc32b
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Air cooled?

Post by tinoc32b »

Hi everyone, sorry for my bad english :lol: , I always wanted a pcx 150 so now a black one is on the way (mid june) good deal it is a 2014 model brand new, but my concern is that the seller told me that the engine is air cooled! please ... Does an air cooled pcx exists?

In any case ... Which one is better. Air cooled or water cooled?

Thanx ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Air cooled?

Post by gn2 »

All PCX models are liquid cooled.
Perhaps the location of the radiator has confused him.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tinoc32b

Post by tinoc32b »

Thanx gn2! But my seller told me there is no radiator o_O because of its short displacement , and i believe that the model is imported from thailand directly, because it has the idling sistem, when i asked where this model came ... He told me from the united states, and i know that in the US the pcx does not come with the idling sistem.

Ps. I'm located in Lima - Perú
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So you are purchasing a 2014 PCX that is a model meant for sale in the United States? Well, lets see if I can give you some clarification. There was no 2014 model for the United States. From 2011 through 2013 the model was the same, with a few changes. They decided not to sell a 2014 model in the United States, but instead completely revised the 2015 model, though the engine is basically the same. There is a gearing change but otherwise it is still the same. It is definitely a liquid cooled engine. Honda has both a 125cc and a 150cc version of PCX, but the engines are very similar.
http://world.honda.com/PCX/engine/
There never has been a PCX that was air cooled. That is not to say that Honda never made an air cooled engine. They definitely have. However, the PCX itself was not produced with an air cooled engine.
The differences between the model made for the United States and other countries has more to do with the speedometer, start-stop switch and smog emission than the engine itself.
I hope I have clarified this a little. If an individual is telling you that it has an air cooled engine, you should first make sure you and he are talking about a Honda PCX. Then point him to the web link I included.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

tinoc32b wrote:Thanx gn2! But my seller told me there is no radiator o_O because of its short displacement , and i believe that the model is imported from thailand directly, because it has the idling sistem, when i asked where this model came ... He told me from the united states, and i know that in the US the pcx does not come with the idling sistem.

Your seller is an idiot. Liquid cooled engines have a radiator. That is how the system gets rid of heat.

See the photo from the service manual. The radiator is on the lower left.

If you look at the bike, you will see the radiator cover just in front of the oil filler and muffler.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (66.39 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The radiator cover is positioned in exactly the same place as (and looks quite like) an air cooling fan intake shroud.

The North American market PCXs do not have idle stop.

Your seller is either mistaken or a liar.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Where is your seller located? Are you sure he is legitimate and you haven't been taken by a scam artist? I sure hope not. All the best to you.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

kramnala58 wrote:Where is your seller located? Are you sure he is legitimate and you haven't been taken by a scam artist? I sure hope not. All the best to you.
The same thought occured to me as well.
tinoc32b

Post by tinoc32b »

Mel46 wrote:So you are purchasing a 2014 PCX that is a model meant for sale in the United States? Well, lets see if I can give you some clarification. There was no 2014 model for the United States. From 2011 through 2013 the model was the same, with a few changes. They decided not to sell a 2014 model in the United States, but instead completely revised the 2015 model, though the engine is basically the same. There is a gearing change but otherwise it is still the same. It is definitely a liquid cooled engine. Honda has both a 125cc and a 150cc version of PCX, but the engines are very similar.
http://world.honda.com/PCX/engine/
There never has been a PCX that was air cooled. That is not to say that Honda never made an air cooled engine. They definitely have. However, the PCX itself was not produced with an air cooled engine.
The differences between the model made for the United States and other countries has more to do with the speedometer, start-stop switch and smog emission than the engine itself.
I hope I have clarified this a little. If an individual is telling you that it has an air cooled engine, you should first make sure you and he are talking about a Honda PCX. Then point him to the web link I included.

I asked de seller where this bike come from, and he told me United States, the bike its manufactured in 2014 as a 2015 model, and it is a pcx 100% sure, it has de idling stop sistem, it is the 150 model. I believe the seller has little information about the model, and it confuse me i guess :ugeek:
tinoc32b

Post by tinoc32b »

gn2 wrote:The radiator cover is positioned in exactly the same place as (and looks quite like) an air cooling fan intake shroud.

The North American market PCXs do not have idle stop.

Your seller is either mistaken or a liar.

I believe my seller has little information about the model, i have to say that the pcx is not a common model here in this country, most of the scooters you can find here are made in china, yamaha cygnus, BWS, suzuki AN 125, even honda (my previous scooter was an elite 125cc air cooled made in china by honda china) and also there are SYM (philipines i think) ... anyway i always wanted a pcx ... so for $2938 american dollars was a pretty good deal, i didn´t hesitate (normal price is $3890).
tinoc32b

Post by tinoc32b »

honkerman wrote:
tinoc32b wrote:Thanx gn2! But my seller told me there is no radiator o_O because of its short displacement , and i believe that the model is imported from thailand directly, because it has the idling sistem, when i asked where this model came ... He told me from the united states, and i know that in the US the pcx does not come with the idling sistem.

Your seller is an idiot. Liquid cooled engines have a radiator. That is how the system gets rid of heat.

See the photo from the service manual. The radiator is on the lower left.

If you look at the bike, you will see the radiator cover just in front of the oil filler and muffler.
Thanx honkerman! and yeah! i think my seller is an idiot, but its not he´s fault :lol:
tinoc32b

Post by tinoc32b »

kramnala58 wrote:Where is your seller located? Are you sure he is legitimate and you haven't been taken by a scam artist? I sure hope not. All the best to you.
No way kramnala58, i have bought my previous honda scooter in the same dealer without problems, the problem was the scooter itself :lol: so i sold it to my brother :lol: the problem was the ground clearence 110mm ... and in this country we have a lot of bad roads :|
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

PCX ground clearance isn't much better.
tinoc32b

Post by tinoc32b »

gn2 wrote:PCX ground clearance isn't much better.
I fix my previous Honda scooter and now it has 3cm more of ground clearance, and now its Ok no problems at all, i know the pcx ground clearance is 138 mm i believe there will be no problems ... Hope so ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I had to be careful riding it up kerbs.
Its not designed or intended for rough roads.
tinoc32b

Post by tinoc32b »

gn2 wrote:I had to be careful riding it up kerbs.
The roads are in good conditions, the problem is this

http://civilgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/21.jpg
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

tinoc32b wrote:
gn2 wrote:I had to be careful riding it up kerbs.
The roads are in good conditions, the problem is this

http://civilgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/21.jpg
That's one heck of a speed bump.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Ultimately all our cooling is by air.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I wish our speed bumps were that smooth. We call those things in the picture Speed Humps. Some of the speed bumps around here can not be taken on a bike at over 1 or 2 miles per hour. I have to stop at the top of the bump and ease it over since the center kickstand is low and could hit the speed bump if I wasn't careful. I have lowering shocks, but I think you might have that same problem with the normal shocks that come on the pcx. I would suggest getting some YSS shocks from somewhere on the Web such as powerbypcx.com in Thailand. They have a great selection and your ride will be so much better.
http://www.powerbypcx.com/en/52-comfort-pcx-v3
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

tinoc32b Hello and Welcome to our Forum(s) :P

Please do us all a favor and enter your location in your profile. I have easy directions to follow right below this post. Providing this info will help us to help you now and in the future.
Thank ya!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You