My PCX in Jeopardy

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

My PCX in Jeopardy

Post by homie »

My son is coming home from college today and he has informed his mother (with caution) he's decided he wants to learn how to ride this summer. He knew I would not receive this very well so he enlisted her support and I failed to make good argument against them.

His choice is a 300cc entry level something I don't care but I'm insisting a course and sacrificing my PCX for his learning. Why he just won't have a car is a mystery to me. I'm going to hope he's spooked off the idea once he gets out there on the scooter and lets it go until he's married because young wives will have none of that. If this does not go well this summer my beautiful PCX might need a touch up and make the crash list :( boooooooooooooo
JustScootIn
Year: 2015 PCX 150
Color: White

Re: My PCX in Jeopardy

Post by JustScootIn »

I know you are probably worried about his safety because you care and that is why you don't want him riding and that is good but, I think you should also see it as another oppurtunity to get to spend more time with him. I'm sure you'll both be out in the garage having fun just working on the bikes every night once riding seasons over and he's home for winter break. Those are the moments you both will relish. Take it from a young guy who's just trying to spend more time with his own father because he understands the mortality we all face as we get older.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That's kind of funny. I have 6 grown kids and only one of them cares to spend any time with me. Their lives are so busy with making money that they don't have time for us 'old folks'. Our oldest daughter knows about time because her kids are all growing up fast, and now 3 of her 6 have joined the army. She understands quite well about mortality but lives on the west coast while we live in Atlanta, Georgia which is a long, long ways away.
Now on to the subject at hand. Homie, I hope you are going to make sure he takes the official safety/riding course and not just teach him yourself. You may be one of the best teachers alive but I have found from experience that kids listen to outsiders more than their parents. They will hear the first few words and then tune you out.
I think riding a scooter for college is a good idea. I had a small (350cc) motorcycle when I was in college and I could always find a parking space by the building that my classes were in, while anyone with a car struggled to find a parking space, which were always in short supply. I actually think the PCX would be better for him than a 300cc but I am sure he will have an image to uphold, so the bigger the cc the more 'manly' he will be seen as. If the PCX had been available when I was in college I would have preferred it because I could store my books in the tailbox. On the motorcycle insurance had to wear a backpack, which is okay but bulky.
Last edited by Mel46 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

JustScootin, you're right... you wouldn't happen to be female because you sound like my wife.
Count the flowers not the bees
Attachments
mac4.jpg
mac4.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Homie, I hope you are going to make sure he takes the official safety/riding course and not just teach him yourself. You may be one of the best teachers alive but I have found from experience that kids listen to outsiders more than their parents.
Oh absolutely I know better than to try and teach anything to a young man. I was hoping to learn something from the course he takes too. Let them think they are teaching you and at least you stay informed. He will never ride the Buell on my watch and I'm hoping that is the unspoken line drawn, so entry level clutch bike after he masters the PCX is how I see it.
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

Homie,

I completely understand, except my issue goes the other way - my father (75 today) wants to take my scoot out for "a ride or two" (rode once, in 1974).

I told him that was fine, after he takes the class. I know he won't listen to a word I say and I don't want to be a potential cause of injury.

But hey, like in your situation, it might be a bonding activity...father/son relationships (whichever side you are on - mine is only ten) are the most challenging there are...

Good luck to the both of you,

Mike
JustScootIn

Post by JustScootIn »

homie wrote:JustScootin, you're right... you wouldn't happen to be female because you sound like my wife.
Not sure if that's a knock at me or not. You can never be quite sure of tone when it comes to text. However, I'm a 24 yo male, and i was just trying to maybe provide some insight from his pov. Maybe he just wants to ride because his dad does and it's something they can do together.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

JustScootIn wrote:
homie wrote:JustScootin, you're right... you wouldn't happen to be female because you sound like my wife.
Not sure if that's a knock at me or not. You can never be quite sure of tone when it comes to text. However, I'm a 24 yo male, and i was just trying to maybe provide some insight from his pov. Maybe he just wants to ride because his dad does and it's something they can do together.
Ah yes, you are a young man. You have my attention now. I need to loosen up, listen and hope he dosent get hurt this summer.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Wingscribe wrote:Homie,

I completely understand, except my issue goes the other way - my father (75 today) wants to take my scoot out for "a ride or two" (rode once, in 1974).

I told him that was fine, after he takes the class. I know he won't listen to a word I say and I don't want to be a potential cause of injury.

But hey, like in your situation, it might be a bonding activity...father/son relationships (whichever side you are on - mine is only ten) are the most challenging there are...

Good luck to the both of you,

Mike
Hey my Dad road a scooter up until he died at 82. It was really good for him and fun to see the guy out and about on the back streets going for some light shopping or to rent a movie was his main reason for the scooter. It was cute and made me want to always have one in the garage.
JustScootIn

Post by JustScootIn »

does he know which 300 bike that he wants already?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I like that expression
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

JustScootIn wrote:does he know which 300 bike that he wants already?
Yes but I glazed over when he sent the picture and went straight to the price... a very cheap 5k Suzuki I think. I will try and be more attentive when he gets home.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Dad successfully kept me off bikes when I was a teenager, and now he's not on this earth anymore I just couldn't resist the urge any longer and bought the PCX. 35 years of bicycle riding and 22 years of driving cars had finally given me enough road sense not to do anything stupid. I just wish other road users were more attentive...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:
Yes but I glazed over when he sent the picture and went straight to the price... a very cheap 5k Suzuki I think. I will try and be more attentive when he gets home.
Doubtful it's a Suzuki if it's a 300. They have a few 250's but no 300s as yet. The GW250 is pretty snazzy, though I like the looks of the TU 250.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

honkerman wrote:
homie wrote:
Doubtful it's a Suzuki if it's a 300. They have a few 250's but no 300s as yet. The GW250 is pretty snazzy, though I like the looks of the TU 250.
Correct.... he is showing a Yamaha ;)

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/super ... els/yzf-r3
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: Well, well, well....homie you knew this day would come. You dangle those beautiful lollipops of yours in his face and why wouldn't he want a lick? Shoot! If my Dad (rip) rode a bike while I was growing up, I'd want on it asap, and then my own 8)

Still, it's scary right? I get it.
Son wants his own, and bigger than your PCX right from the giddy-up.
Whoa....Pull those reins in I say. Cart does Not go before the horse, at least not on any terrain I've seen.

Here's my idea (it rides on JustScootin's advice), Yes, join forces. Nothing like being together, sharing something in common, having Fun together, learning, and yes loving it and each other! It's all good!
It's the whole enchilada (funny phrase, ain't it?) :roll:

Next, and I really love this idea:
Take the MSF course with him. Refresh thyself. Yeah, you and son. Package deal? That's Cool Dude!
Both of you Choose and Use the scoot or shifty cycle that "the course provides."
Normally you pick one at first meeting.
:? Hmm...Why would you take the chance of dropping your "precious" PCX while running the course? Remember, newbies will be all around you, behind and in front of you. Getting the picture? Avoid Oopsie!

As far as his permanent bike choice? No bike just yet. That depends on how He does in the course. That's a no brainer. Pass first young handsome man ;) Pass first.

My opinion, and I'm stickin' tuit!
I'd join yas if I were there, seriously I would.
The course is fun and it definitely builds self confidence (among other Very important things learned). Think on it, okay homie?

I'm Done (i think) :ugeek:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise I know you would handle this better than me, I did not know the course would provide bikes. Yes computer boy has not the experience we had on two wheeler's of all kinds. Bicycle, mini bike, 250 dirt bike, 500-600 street and eventually the 0-60 in the blink of an eye 1000cc super bike so yes this dosent seem like a good thing. Since city boy never wanted a car I just assumed public transportation green tree hugger was how it was going with him... I did not see motorcycle coming at all. Well at lest he's a Republican :lol:
Attachments
dc7ec35c-a884-47bf-8030-83e0e19e5919.jpg
dc7ec35c-a884-47bf-8030-83e0e19e5919.jpg (14.72 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

homie wrote:Correct.... he is showing a Yamaha ;)

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/super ... els/yzf-r3
Homie, I'd recommend trying to convince him to get the ABS model of the Kawi Ninja 300 or Honda CBR 300R instead - you can't get ABS on the Yami R3 in the USA unfortunately. Ideally I'd help him find a low mileage used one with a few scratches already cuz there's a good chance he'll drop it a few times while he learns. However, the new '16 CBR 300R looks amazing in Orange and it stickers at less than $5K even with the optional ABS - I was drooling over one myself just last week and wondering if it would fit in my garage with my PCX :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (135.43 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

dad,
Make certain he has ABS.
Once you buy a bike without it ....you will be kicking yourself for not going the extra few $$.
Fish
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Are you surprised? What we do will shape what our kids do with our observation. The riding should have quit a decade and a half ago if you didn't want your kids to become riders themselves. I test rode a CBR 250R yesterday and it had plenty of power for the freeway, yet it was super easy to ride.

My kids will definitely be free to become riders themselves, after taking lessons. I would love to go riding with them.

ABS is definitely a good feature to have. I'm just on the fence between whether kids should start with ABS from the get go or kids should learn how to safely stop their bikes without ABS first then move onto an ABS second bike.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS