Increase top speed

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Increase top speed

Post by Brent »

Original top speed brand new 2015 PCX 150 was 68mph. One year and 8,900 miles later, I now max out at 60mph. Besides changing the belt, how can I gain more top speed. I am now driving on a 65mph road and would like to stay with traffic! Any helpful ideas are greatly appreciated! (PCX is stock except for Givi medium windshield and YSS G-Series shock absorbers)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Increase top speed

Post by homie »

I doubt a one year old belt is to blame and a new one isn't going to satisfy your need for speed anyway. Consider the NCY performance kit. In the posted link below you can find 3 links to NCY products you'll need to install. If you can do it yourself its worth your time.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... azon+links

here is me on the 2015 with NCY kit, yours will go much faster with stock tires

Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Brent »

Homie, thanks! I will let you know how they work out!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I do know that my wife's 2013 PCX 150 gained topped speed once I installed the NCY variation, drive face and 13 gram rollers, so they do work. However, I know little about the newer 2015 model. Hopefully the same things will fit it without any issues. It is hard to give you advice on a model that I don't own, but it works on the older models.Good luck! I hope it works. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel is right, and Brent those parts still aren't listed on those websites for 2015/16 model PCX but rest easy they are quit compatible. Plus apparently the kit wears in at speeds faster with use as my bench video's has shown.
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

Mel46 wrote:I do know that my wife's 2013 PCX 150 gained topped speed once I installed the NCY variation, drive face and 13 gram rollers, so they do work. However, I know little about the newer 2015 model. Hopefully the same things will fit it without any issues. It is hard to give you advice on a model that I don't own, but it works on the older models.Good luck! I hope it works. :-)
Mel that NCY Kit, did you install it yourself? Were there detailed directions with the kit?? What was the cost of the kit? I have a 2013 PCX150 and it gets to the rev limiter pretty easy. I don't mind the rev limiter, but when you want to hold it wide open for miles at a stretch, I hate the engine cutting in and out. If I can fix that cutting in and out, I will definitely need a new seat. Not like a diesel where the governor just tapers off at set RPM, no oscillating.
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

ScooterAddict wrote:
Mel46 wrote:I do know that my wife's 2013 PCX 150 gained topped speed once I installed the NCY variation, drive face and 13 gram rollers, so they do work. However, I know little about the newer 2015 model. Hopefully the same things will fit it without any issues. It is hard to give you advice on a model that I don't own, but it works on the older models.Good luck! I hope it works. :-)
Mel that NCY Kit, did you install it yourself? Were there detailed directions with the kit?? What was the cost of the kit? I have a 2013 PCX150 and it gets to the rev limiter pretty easy. I don't mind the rev limiter, but when you want to hold it wide open for miles at a stretch, I hate the engine cutting in and out. If I can fix that cutting in and out, I will definitely need a new seat. Not like a diesel where the governor just tapers off at set RPM, no oscillating.
You can buy a fuel controller, remove the rev limiter and change the valve springs.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Changing the variator, rollers and drive face is easy. The cost is a little over $100, but for a 10 mph increase in top end it is well worth it. You really don't need instructions IF you have a service manual.

http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... ights-13g/
http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... rive-face/
http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... on-pulley/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Brent »

Mel and Homie,

Either of you had any feedback on J. Costa Variators?

Thanks,

Brent!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Brent wrote:Mel and Homie,

Either of you had any feedback on J. Costa Variators?

Thanks,

Brent!
Nope... and I think I can speak for Mel since I've read his stuff for years.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I know nothing about them, as home knows, but I did a search on this forum to see where it was discussed previously.
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... it=J+Costa
Looks like it was in our discussion about the NCY variator. I guess waspmike is familiar with it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150