Forza ABS - Question on highway riding

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

stbrandon

Forza ABS - Question on highway riding

Post by stbrandon »

Hi all,

I'm about 100 miles into my 2015 Honda Forza here in Southern California and I've yet to take it onto the highway.

I'm a new rider of all things 2 wheels, and while I'm doing well on my treks to work via side streets, I'd love to hop on the highway as I get more comfortable and experienced but I wanted to get some input on other Forza riders with regards to highway riding.

How does it hold up at higher speeds?

Are the stock tires adequate for highway speeds (how fast?)

Any general tips?

Thanks guys, looking forward to some insight :)

-Brandon
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Forza ABS - Question on highway riding

Post by gn2 »

Top speed is around 85, it will sit happily in the 75-80 range.
Tyres are well up to it and have a higher speed rating than the scooter is capable of.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
stbrandon

Post by stbrandon »

gn2 wrote:Top speed is around 85, it will sit happily in the 75-80 range.
Tyres are well up to it and have a higher speed rating than the scooter is capable of.
That's awesome to hear.

I think it's mostly because I'm still a new rider, but the wind feel at 60-70 is taking some getting used to, even in full riding gear!

Thank you for the input!
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by Richard »

I ride mine into London on the A13.....a fast road until you hit the average speed cameras.
It is more than happy sitting at 70mph, in fact happier than I was until I fiited the Puig tall screen...that has transformed it and made it far more comfortable at speed.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I was quite nervous for the first 2 minutes on the freeway and was still a little nervous for a couple of weeks after that. You'll get used to it.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
stbrandon

Post by stbrandon »

Sounds like I just need to grow a pair and get on the highway then ;)
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Lol. I think you'll spend the first little while hyper-aware that there's little to no room for error. Ride at the speed you feel comfortable at, you may hang out in the right lane for a bit. Slowly your mind will adapt to it and as soon as you know it, you'll be tucking trying to hit 85 mph. Lol.

I highly recommend ear plugs. At 60mph, the wind noise can reach 100 dB and at that level, it only takes 15 minutes for permanent hearing loss to start occuring. Get earplugs adequate enough to reduce wind noise to below 80 dB. You can be exposed to 75dB noise for up to 8 hours straight before permanent hearing loss begins to occur.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

I do 50 miles a day on the motorway. Fuel consumption is much better around 65mph than 75, but it will sit comfortably at either all day long. I have the tall screen, which makes it far more comfortable.

Side winds, when high, can make you feel like the wheels are being blown off the ground, but if it's too bad I'll slow down and move nearer to the hard shoulder so I've got a safety zone if a gust blows me towards the centre of the motorway.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I ride on slow highways all the time. I have many years of experience. I would hate to do 80 on the Forza. The wheels are too small to handle problems and the suspension is rather primitive. The Forza will do 80 but I don't think it should. And I have ridden at 80.

I also don't think a new rider should be doing 80. At 80 you need to do things by reflex. There is no time to think. Also the riding position of the Forza is not the safest.

I have the tall Honda screen which makes highway riding easier. The short screen allows the wind to beat you up.

I like my Forza but it is no big BMW nor is it a sport bike. It is a cheap 250cc scooter with limited abilities. That being said I would ride mine to Alaska or across Canada at a slower speed and have a lot of fun.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

If question you ask then ready you are not.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

It has a lot more to do with the capabilities of the rider than the Forza. I shied clear of motorways in UK for a long time until I built up confidence/experience when returning to 2 wheels. However I now find I feel almost safer on a Motorway than a normal road unless it is exceptionally busy as traffic is free to easily overtake etc..However as I dont use the Forza for commuting I prefer riding on non motorway roads. When you feel confident try it out for a few miles just to see. Keep safe.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Motorways are indeed the safest roads but you still need to have your wits about you, maintaining an appropriate following distance is essential.
Minimum is two seconds, four seconds is better.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
stbrandon

Post by stbrandon »

Thanks everyone for the input.

I've been commuting on the highway now for a bit, but wind is definitely a factor.

Do you find the taller windscreen to be essential at the 65+ range? I honestly hate the look of them, but if it's of significant help, I may have to deal with the aesthetic issue for a more comfortable/stable ride.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

stbrandon wrote:Thanks everyone for the input.

I've been commuting on the highway now for a bit, but wind is definitely a factor.

Do you find the taller windscreen to be essential at the 65+ range? I honestly hate the look of them, but if it's of significant help, I may have to deal with the aesthetic issue for a more comfortable/stable ride.
I ride the windy Fraser Canyon and found the tall Honda screen to help with stability. I would like to try the tall adjustable GIVI screen. The tall Honda screen takes a little too much air off of my helmet but I am only 5 foot six.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Motorways are indeed the safest roads but you still need to have your wits about you, maintaining an appropriate following distance is essential.
Minimum is two seconds, four seconds is better.

But everyone will fill three and a half seconds of that
Richard
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by Richard »

Like I said earlier...the tall screen transforms the bike...you will ride faster in comfort....better MPG to.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (236.4 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

How do you stay on the bike in that position?
Z-Mac
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Z-Mac »

JohnL wrote:How do you stay on the bike in that position?
lol