New PCX tips

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

HeroJeff
Year: 2015
Color: White

New PCX tips

Post by HeroJeff »

Hello everyone,
I've been browsing this forum for a little while while thinking about buying a PCX. I decided to go for it and bought a new white 2015 125cc model this morning. It should be ready for me to pick up on Friday. I'm really looking forward to it.
I'm looking for advice or tips on what to do, or not to do, with my new scooter. Advice on how to break it in would be appreciated as its my first new motorbike.
I've got a little 50cc Vespa that I've been using to go to work in the city center for the last year and a half. So I'm already fairly familiar with the basics of riding a scooter.

Thanks a lot,
Jeff
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: New PCX tips

Post by homie »

Welcome....take it easy for the first 300 miles which you should do on anything different. Give serious thought to what kind of maintenance you are willing or not willing to do. Adjust the extended warranty offer according to your mechanical skills. New riders might underestimate the PCX performance coming off a 50cc and make the list below. We can show you every cool accessory, get you a service manual, steer you into discount items and talk you through any scheduled maintenance but know you void the one year or any extended warranties if you do it yourself.

Hows the roads over in Madrid town?
Attachments
mac3.jpg
mac3.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

HeroJeff wrote:Hello everyone, .... I'm looking for advice or tips on what to do ....
Enjoy it! ;) :D

And by the way, welcome to the forums Jeff.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Homie said it all, except that many of us on the crash list ended up on that list through no fault of our own. Imagine riding along and a head on collision happens right in front of you and you have no place to go and not enough time to stop. That happended to us. Others have had drivers ignore them and either cut them off or go out the entrance that you are coming in. This happens a lot to scooter and motorcycle riders. Be aware. Your PCX is now playing with the 'big boys' in that it is more powerful than the 50 cc one you had, and it can be used in more ways. Wear bright colors, and be aware of other drivers. Otherwise, enjoy your new ride, and consider a taller windshield.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

With my 50cc scooter, i seldom needed to use the rear brake. With the PCX, i found it better to use the left brake to begin my braking; then add the right brake as i slowed.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Jeff! Riding a White one Very S O O N
Happy Day! :P

Tips?
yak wrote:...better to use the left brake to begin my braking; then add the right brake....
Good advice yak ;)
and I'll add this: to cut off higher speed, use a little front (right) brake first followed by the rear (left) brake. NEVER NEVER Grab Handfuls of brake! o_O
Use both as We suggested.

Oh...and refrain from full throttle starts,
But No Slow miss piggy ones either :lol:
Just go with the flow "Nice and Easy" be aware and Enjoy!

THUMBS UP! Wear "See Me" Bright Attire
and Perhaps a Scoot friendly Name? (WhiteNoise is taken! :lol: )
Happy Trails 2U Both!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thought of another tippy:

How to check your PCX's oil...the proper way:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ng+the+oil
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
HeroJeff

Post by HeroJeff »

Wow. A bunch of great advice. Thanks a lot.

How easy should I take it for the first 1000 kilometers (600 miles)? I read elsewhere that I should keep it under 30 kph (about 20mph) for a while. Is this right? It seems really slow to me. I can't go to work doing that speed.

I hear you on the bright colors. That's one of the reasons I went for the white PCX. More visibility.

Avoiding full throttle starts, is that just for the breaking in period or always?

The roads in Madrid are not bad. There are a few potholes on my way to work. But nothing too bad.

Thanks again guys!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

HeroJeff wrote:How easy should I take it for the first 1000 kilometers (600 miles)? I read elsewhere that I should keep it under 30 kph (about 20mph) for a while. Is this right? It seems really slow to me. I can't go to work doing that speed. Avoiding full throttle starts, is that just for the breaking in period or always?
I never heard anywhere in here that you needed to baby it for 600 miles. You will be changing the oil at 600. 20 mph is unnecessary... go faster than that :)

W.O.T. (wide open throttle) is how you get these scooters moving, normal operation. Just don't run 64 mph right off to work and back everyday until you hit 300... you will have set the rings (if one even needs to break in these days). Technology may have changed, lubrication has changed. What does the SM say?

But then go like a mad man so if there is something wrong with yours you get it found under the one year warranty... 6 months weather permitting around here.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Never got any where near WOT (or WOFT) on take-off, never riden above 45 and probably only ridden above 40 for a fraction of the time I've owned the bike which is getting near 2 years :) - as all my journey is in built up urban areas with pot-holes almost every 100 yards, traffic lights, camera's, speed humps, etc, a brisk take-off and mostly 30mph does me fine.
HeroJeff

Post by HeroJeff »

On the way to and from work I take one of the main streets. It's totally straight with stoplights every kilometer and a half (about every mile) or so and it's not unusual to catch two or three green lights in a row. Almost every day I'm able to max my little 50cc Vespa out at 60 kph (37 mph). And on this stretch there's only one pothole. I know where it is so it's easy to avoid.
So I'm not going to be able to ride the PCX like I stole it. But sticking to 30 kph (about 20 mph) would be holding up traffic. Not to mention dangerous with cars flying by.

In Spain (I'm pretty sure it's all of Europe) a two year warranty standard. And I was able to get the extended warranty. So my PCX is covered for four years. No need to push it to make sure nothing breaks before the warranty is out. I've got plenty of time.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

One thing to avoid on the PCX is going too easy on the throttle from stand-still as that can lead to clutch grazing, of which I had that problem. Some quick take offs (still not WOT) helps get rid of that problem. No need to shoot off or go fast, just don't turn the throttle too gently from stand-still.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

I recently switched to a PCX from a Vespa and found that I was too aggressive with the throttle when starting from a stop, if I rode it like the old one.

The front wheel kept starting to lift up and I prefer not to do wheelies on a new bike.
Tonyx
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

I've been riding motorcycle for about 8 years. One general tip is visibility as mentioned and one I always abide by is to wear white helmet. For some reason the combination of white helmet with dark jacket and/or white bike always lands more visibility to others on the road.

My motorcycle is white. My riding jacket is black. My helmet is white. I've had people move over, on their own, to let me pass them. LOL:)

I also am in the group that believe not babying the engine during the break-in period, especially first 200 miles. Don't abuse the machine but also don't baby it. This helps with seating the rings and promote better combustion.
HeroJeff

Post by HeroJeff »

So, not too hard on the throttle but not too gentle either. Cool, I can do that.

Good tip about the white helmet. I'll look into it when I'm buying my next one.

By the way, the dealer called and my PCX is ready for me to pick it up. Unfortunately I'm not going to have time this evening. But I'll be there first thing tomorrow morning!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:( Want ME to pick her up? :lol: :lol:

YES!! How Exciting!
Remember...take pics and post them!!
HeroJeff

Post by HeroJeff »

I picked her up this morning. With only 1 kilometer on the clock. I've already done 35 kilometers today just cruising around the city.
Attachments
2016-03-04 18.02.44.jpg
2016-03-04 18.02.44.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 1731 times
2016-03-04 18.01.39.jpg
2016-03-04 18.01.39.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1731 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

DailyRider wrote:I was too aggressive with the throttle when starting from a stop. The front wheel kept starting to lift up and I prefer not to do wheelies on a new bike.
I'm wondering about this woman, not saying you didn't experience a stock PCX wheelie but are you sure you weren't just unloading the front shocks? I have a performance kit, weigh 180 lbs and the wheels stay on the ground at WOT (wide open throttle) starts. Are you under my weight :oops:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) Thar she Blows and She's a Beauty at that!! 8)

CONGRATULATIONS! "White" rocks and so does your (new) Lid!
If you have any questions, Fire Away.
Ride Safe and Enjoy!!!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

THAT'S A BEAUTY JEFF !!!!!! APPLAUSE
nice helmet too