Drive Belt Life (and death)

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Drive Belt Life (and death)

Post by gn2 »

Had my Forza dealer serviced up till it was two years old.
Last service done by dealer was 16,000 miles
At this service its due a new CVT drive belt.
Dealer swore blind the belt had been changed but I had my doubts at the time.
Today on the way to work the belt decided it was time to cash in its chips.
Mileage is circa 26,500 miles.
On the plus side it was a lovely sunny day to stand by the roadside waiting on the recovery truck.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Drive Belt Life (and death)

Post by GeorgeSK »

Well that sounds like a crummy way to spend an afternoon. Maybe it was changed, and maybe it wasn't. I find it sad that I (we) have to even consider the possibility that we are being ripped off when we send our scoots, cars, whatever in for service. I find myself wanting to put a bit of sealing wax or a paint dot on a seam that I know has to be opened, but then feel that I'm being as sneaky as the potential perp. I don't know what you can actually do, save all the work yourself.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

I find myself wanting to put a bit of sealing wax or a paint dot on a seam that I know has to be opened
I'm an instrument maker by trade, from way back. Use nail polish. Put it on screw heads so you can see if a screwdriver etc has been used. :geek: We used to use it to check if anyone had opened covers or messed with calibration. My colour was orange , other guys had different colours ;)
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

thats rough...and your suspicions for a belt going at 10500mls is justified......easy to say with hindsight but are garages not sort of obliged to show you the old parts they have removed? Suppose however you need to ask for that and who does that!...however its a reminder to me to ask in future...especially for key components....glad it was a good day for standing around and that it didnt burst when you were overtaking etc.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 NSS300A
Color: Seal Silver

Post by DioTiAma »

You should have stayed there during the service. That's 3-4 hours (every two years). I've even bought the OEM parts from the dealership by myself! 10000mi on the second belt... that's not acceptable. Which belt was installed? The 23100-K04-931 (MITSUBOSHI) or the 23100-KTW-901 (BANDO)? The part number is changed. I told you people a long time ago. The latter is from the SH300i, the one Honda recommends now. And it needs replacement every 11000mi...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

OK, we already knew the original Forza 300 belt was superseded by the SH300 belt.
Some Googling has revealed that Dayco make a belt for the SH300, part number 8202K dimensions 24.0 x 996

http://web.daycogarage.com/catalogue/en ... =8202K&a=1

Also, this belt is available for just £31.50 from racing-planet.co.uk.....

Given the eye watering price of £97.30 for a Mitsuboshi belt albeit in a bag with an actual Honda label, I'm seriously considering taking a punt on this Dayco belt.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I bought the 23100-KTW-901 $48 at bikerz bits.

https://bikerzbits.com/honda-forza-nss- ... 4-931.html
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

That's a very good price, not sure how much they would want for shipping to Bonnie Scotland though.
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

€7,55. Since you are Scottish, the whole thing is going to cost you around 40 pounds! How about that...
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

About 10 bucks to ship to Glasgow. Price is now down to $43 plus shipping. Took about 3 weeks to get to Texas.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

gn2 wrote:OK, we already knew the original Forza 300 belt was superseded by the SH300 belt.
Some Googling has revealed that Dayco make a belt for the SH300, part number 8202K dimensions 24.0 x 996

http://web.daycogarage.com/catalogue/en ... =8202K&a=1

Also, this belt is available for just £31.50 from racing-planet.co.uk.....

Given the eye watering price of £97.30 for a Mitsuboshi belt albeit in a bag with an actual Honda label, I'm seriously considering taking a punt on this Dayco belt.
I think this Dayco belt is too thin at 24mm.

Original Honda belt is 26.7mm wide. Service Limit is 25.7mm.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
DioTiAma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by DioTiAma »

GN2, how much they sell the 23100-KTW-901 (BANDO) in Scotland? It shouldn't be that expensive. I bought mine at €67/£51 (it was €75/£57 & they gave me 10% discount).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote: I think this Dayco belt is too thin at 24mm.

It does look odd, however the way the Honda one is measured (as described in the workshop manual) gives a bigger measurement than the actual width of the working part of the belt.

I think what I might do is get the Dayco for a quick fix and order the Mitsuboshi from Thailand then when it arrives I'll have a part worn Dayco to keep as a spare.

Not missing any scooting the noo, weather here has turned decidedly crap, so much for 2u's sunshine. Grrr.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Just did the deed and ordered a Mitsuboshi from AustinPCX's Bikerzbits link, wonder how long it will take to arrive?
The weather here is still mostly awful just now so not missing out on much.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
E. Foster Salsbury wrote: I think this Dayco belt is too thin at 24mm.

It does look odd, however the way the Honda one is measured (as described in the workshop manual) gives a bigger measurement than the actual width of the working part of the belt.

I think what I might do is get the Dayco for a quick fix and order the Mitsuboshi from Thailand then when it arrives I'll have a part worn Dayco to keep as a spare.

Not missing any scooting the noo, weather here has turned decidedly crap, so much for 2u's sunshine. Grrr.

Lovely here it is
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Its lovely here too, between snow storms :lol:

http://www.pedrox.com/webcam/index.html
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

gn2 wrote:Just did the deed and ordered a Mitsuboshi from AustinPCX's Bikerzbits link, wonder how long it will take to arrive?
The weather here is still mostly awful just now so not missing out on much.
I ordered two more belts last Sunday evening and they arrived on Friday morning via DHL. Went ahead and installed a new belt on Saturday. I kept the old belt, it still looks to be in decent shape after 17,000 miles.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Well I ordered and paid for a 23100-K04-931 from Bikerz Bits but got a 23100-KTW-901 delivered.
It'll get me back on the road for a fraction of what I would have paid a UK Honda parts supplier and the delivery from Thailand was a very respectable nine days.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

gn2 wrote:Well I ordered and paid for a 23100-K04-931 from Bikerz Bits but got a 23100-KTW-901 delivered.
It'll get me back on the road for a fraction of what I would have paid a UK Honda parts supplier and the delivery from Thailand was a very respectable nine days.
So, what is the difference in the belts? Why not what you ordered? I searched their 2014 and 14-16 parts and could not find an air-filter listed - strange that as I would have thought it would be a common spare.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The original belt fitted to the Forza is identified by the model code K04 and is manufactured by Mitsuboshi.
This belt is supposed to be heavier duty and to fit in with the 8.000 mile service interval of the Forza has a service life expectancy of 16,000 miles.
The belt which replaced it in Honda's parts listings is an older part from the SH300 identified by model code KTW.
This belt is made by Bando and has a shorter service life expectancy of 12,000 miles, which is not an ideal fit with the 8,000 mile service interval.
The SH300 service schedule says the belt to be replaced at 12,000 miles and inspected 8,000 miles after fitment.

Given the ability of a Forza 300 to munch its way through brake pads in far less than 8,000 miles and the change in drive belt specifications, the 8,000 mile service interval which was a big selling point for me as a 12,000 mile a year rider has been completely negated.

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/microfi ... 4-931.html
http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/microfi ... W-901.html

I paid under £40 delivered to the UK which is a really good deal imo.

One positive to take from this sorry saga is that Bikerz Bitz are able to deliver parts at excellent prices and in good enough time to various locations across the globe.
I will definitely use them again.