self healing tires...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

self healing tires...

Post by homie »

I don't want the added weight of this product nor do I care to imagine it will stay balanced but still a very interesting concept and hard to watch :lol:

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: self healing tires...

Post by honkerman »

We discussed these a bit at school. There are certain...issues with run flat tires on a motorbike. Run flat tires have a hard feel to begin with, which would seem problematic on a bike. Yes, you need firmness in a tire, but there are limits. Then there is the likely cost.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Just bung a bottle of Slime into the tire. If you walk out and there is green stuff all over, you have a flat. If it tries to deflate when riding it will be slower and you have a chance to stop.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Other than a need to sell tyres, I wondered why you couldn't get tyres that are non hollow i.e. spongy bee-hive rubber pockets inside the tyre so reduced weight but so with so many individual pockets, it would not go flat just a small puncture on a cm hollow pocket. It seems there may be other reasons manufacturers do not sell these? I guess the tyre would wear and need replacing so perhaps not worth the extra cost.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

waspmike wrote:Just bung a bottle of Slime into the tire. If you walk out and there is green stuff all over, you have a flat. If it tries to deflate when riding it will be slower and you have a chance to stop.
I use balance beads in the tires and need to keep that in mind when adding any puncture sealing products. I bet there are some of you that need this stuff but for my area I've been lucky for years concerning flats on any vehicle.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:
waspmike wrote:Just bung a bottle of Slime into the tire. If you walk out and there is green stuff all over, you have a flat. If it tries to deflate when riding it will be slower and you have a chance to stop.
I use balance beads in the tires and need to keep that in mind when adding any puncture sealing products. I bet there are some of you that need this stuff but for my area I've been lucky for years concerning flats on any vehicle.
Interesting to note, during the tire change segment at school, we discussed plugs and while some of the instructors have used them for their personal bikes, they didnt recommend it in motorcycle tires. I can't remember all the reasons why, and I think on a scooter tire with less likelihood of high speeds, it would not be so bad, because plugging a tire drops its speed rating, which we're not even close to on a PCX. Some also suggest that a plug should only be used for rear tires, never for fronts, and that makes sense.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I've been using Ride-On in my tires since I posted about it here in 2011, first on the PCX and now on the Forza. Works great, eliminates the need for wheel weights or balance beads. One application lasts the life of the tire. Never lose air pressure in my tires.

Post subject: Re: Tire Sealant?PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:12 pm
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

AustinPCX wrote:I've been using Ride-On in my tires since I posted about it here in 2011, first on the PCX and now on the Forza. Works great, eliminates the need for wheel weights or balance beads.
Here is the products description and promise

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

Haven't heard of this before and thanks for the information. Too late for me as I said I put quality balance beads already but it would have been nice. To the benefit of this product I can hear the beads 'swish' when I roll the wheels which this product would not do that. The 'swish' is harmless unless you don't recognize what it is on a used bike purchase, thus sending you on a hunt for the sound. Baffled me for a moment but when you hear the beads settling in after the roll of the wheel has stopped... you get a clue :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
AustinPCX wrote:I've been using Ride-On in my tires since I posted about it here in 2011, first on the PCX and now on the Forza. Works great, eliminates the need for wheel weights or balance beads.
Here is the products description and promise

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

Haven't heard of this before and thanks for the information. Too late for me as I said I put quality balance beads already but it would have been nice. To the benefit of this product I can hear the beads 'swish' when I roll the wheels which this product would not do that. The 'swish' is harmless unless you don't recognize what it is on a used bike purchase, thus sending you on a hunt for the sound. Baffled me for a moment but when you hear the beads settling in after the roll of the wheel has stopped... you get a clue :lol:

Just say snake oil to any potential purchaser and I'm sure they'll be fine.