Riding year-long and can't imagine it being the other way..

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Safety Man
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Riding year-long and can't imagine it being the other way..

Post by Safety Man »

It's a true fortune to be a PCX enthusiast and to live down here in FL. Plus, El Nino this year was of great help. I would not have it any other way. However, as personal opportunities call elsewhere, I do realize that this experience might be short-lived, and the future me will envy the past me, in retrospect. Just wanted to ask you guys: how do you fare with winter time in your state/country? Do you ride on a good day or do you completely forget about your two-wheeler for the season?
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Riding year-long and can't imagine it being the other wa

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Mine is parked up, where I live gets near zero gritting, busted my shoulder last year when I had a slide on my old Vision. Playing it safe this year and parked up.
aka DrewJW
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Not good to fire up your engines randomly through the winter. Don't know for sure about the little GY6 Honda engine but for the big twins you create condensation that fouls the oil in both reservoirs. Best to leave them down or change the oil right off in the spring when one can get a proper cool down and evaporation.

As for Chicago winters if there is global warming we are loving it these days :)
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Matt Black

Post by Geoffers »

I ride my bike all year round for my daily commute. Here in Northern England it's rare for the temperature to fall much below freezing and we might get a week or two's snow per year. If there's a very heavy frost or a decent snowfall then I leave the bike behind. Otherwise, it's on with the waterproofs and off we go!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Winter driving for me is perfect. Better than summer driving. 9:30pm and it is 28C (82F) ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I ride year round as long as the temp is close to 40 or higher and roads are clear. It seems here in Ohio we always have days in any given month to ride in the winter. I rode 4 days this month so far. Today we have 2 inches of snow so its a no go today for sure.
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White

Post by Brent »

I live in the hid desert about 100 miles North East from Las Vegas, and I drive year around. The morning temperature in the winter is 25 to 30 degrees when I ride to work. Commute home temperature is in the 40s. My commute is only 4 miles and takes 10 minutes. Bundle up and let's go!
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

I ride year-round, but in winter only if:
-No precipitation falling or less than a 40% chance of precipitation that day
-No ice on roads
-Temp over 40 degrees F
-Daughter doesn't need a ride to school

Otherwise, I'm luxuriating with heated seats in my car. Had a time when a motorcycle was my only transportation but not now.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I ride year round except during ice and snow.
But recently we have had ridiculous amounts of rain with high risk of flooding so I've left the scooter at home for the last week or two.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Same here as above. I ride all year long except when iced up, snowing, or there is a high chance of rain. I ride through light showers and fog.
When temps are below 15degC during the day (late October, mid November) I install the Tucano on the bike and leave it on until early March.
Joel PCX150

Post by Joel PCX150 »

It's Impossible to ride year round here (-7 degrees this morning) so i park mine up from November to hopefully April sometime. It's brutal not being able to ride and certainly makes me wonder why you would ever leave such a nice warm state to endure this!
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Was almost going to brag about that last week I was out and riding in -8,5 in the morning, when I have realized that your -7 must be Farenheit - which is -21C what is a no-no for me also.
Joel PCX150

Post by Joel PCX150 »

Yes its -7 F, but i definitely don't ride in that weather. -8C is still 17F which is dang cold. I wont ride beloew 40F (4C). Do you use heated gear in that type of weather?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

South West England. Riding two years. I've taken the car instead on two occasions. I've ridden to work (12 miles then) on a scooter twice on icy roads but that was on a Vision which is much lighter and wieldy than the Forza.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Joel PCX150 wrote:Yes its -7 F, but i definitely don't ride in that weather. -8C is still 17F which is dang cold. I wont ride beloew 40F (4C). Do you use heated gear in that type of weather?
I have to admit it was out of my comfort zone too. But it was an exceptionally beautiful sunny and dry winter day.
No heated gear. On the scoot I have winter tires, a tall screen and a Tucano urbano. On very cold winter days I dress in proper wind blocking hiking/snowboarding gear with the same armor jacket i wear when I'm boarding. My commute is also relatively short (about 6 miles one way) starting from my heated garage and ending in the company underground parking lot.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I rode to work for the first time in four weeks. Temperature were at about the freezing mark but roads were bare and dry. Except for the bridge with its shiny road surface, I like left 7 seconds in front of me.

I will ride the rest of the week however as weather conditions should allow me to do so.

I went for a half an hour ride in -9C (16F) temperatures a week and a half ago as I was itching to ride, my battery tender hasn't come in yet (coming tomorrow), and I wanted to get new fuel and stabilizer into the carb. I don't have heated gear, just my normal Alpinestars Mora textile jacket with liner, Tourmaster Quest textile pants, Alpinestars waterproof boots, and -- the only non-road rated piece of equipment -- ski gloves.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
stevecbr
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by stevecbr »

I bought my PCX specifically as a winter bike, its mainly ridden in the winter, either snow or ice.
If they havent gritted the roads or snow is forecast, I use my Yamaha MT09
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

Yeah I ride year round so far..

only started riding two wheels in September and I just can't bring myself to leave it at home

I've seen rain, -2C, snow, rain and gale force winds so far (often on same day) more rain

heated grips and waterproofs do ok for me

did I mention the rain?
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Thanks OP for the post. Rode in today--38 degrees F. In an Aerostich, over a suit, wasn't cold at all. Worst was the full-face helmet fogging my glasses unless I kept the faceshield cracked at speed and open at stops.

Cheated and took the Silver Wing because it has better wind protection (and less junk in the garage blocking it). Ride home should be at 64 degrees!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

maybe I spoke too soon
Attachments
snow.JPG
snow.JPG (211.08 KiB) Viewed 2267 times