From Honda motorcycles to a Honda scooter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

From Honda motorcycles to a Honda scooter

Post by db22 »

I've always ridden Honda bikes. For some time now I have ridden a 1975 CB550K which I built up from a pile of parts that was given to me. Advancing arthritis and lack of time for proper upkeep caused me to decide to put that bike and my stock of parts up for sale. I will use the proceeds to buy a Honda PCX 150 which I saw at the local dealership. It's a new 2015 model, black -- seems just right for an old man to use as a commuter and pleasure bike requiring little maintenance.

It's almost mine -- all I need to do is sell the 550, and I can walk in and pay for the scoot. They'll store it in a heated building for me until spring (this is Wisconsin, USA, and though the roads are currently dry, I'd risk hypothermia riding any bike before the end of March)

So -- I hope to learn all I can about the scoot on this forum while the winter passes, and start the spring on a new machine that will be ridden more than worked on.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Re: From Honda motorcycles to a Honda scooter

Post by honkerman »

Welcome. Hope you make your sale soon and can have your new wheels in the spring. One word of caution, smaller wheels can be a bit to get used to, but the 150 has plenty of power to get you from A to B and back again.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Matt Black

Post by Geoffers »

I downsized from a Kawasaki ER6 650cc to a PCX125 and there are adjustments to be made. I don't trust the PCX anything like as much in corners or the wet. It's the smaller wheels that give you noticably less grip.
Plus, the PCX's ride is harsher - I certainly feel the bumps more.

That's not a complaint at all about my PCX. I love it. 130+ mpg, zippy & nimble and just so practical for commuting. Nobody pretends it's a rider's nirvana.
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

Geoffers wrote:I downsized from a Kawasaki ER6 650cc to a PCX125 and there are adjustments to be made. I don't trust the PCX anything like as much in corners or the wet. It's the smaller wheels that give you noticably less grip.

That's not a complaint at all about my PCX. I love it. 130+ mpg, zippy & nimble and just so practical for commuting. Nobody pretends it's a rider's nirvana.
Yes, I wondered about going from a 400-pound bike with almost 50HP and 18" wheels to a scooter. Is there a good selection of tires for the PCX's 14" wheels? Maybe better/wider rubber would improve the cornering. But then, I was never a hot rider -- I knew too many people over the years who slid out on gravelly or sandy corners. As I have aged, I have become even more conservative in my riding.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

To me the 14" wheels on the PCX are good size and don't take that much adjusting to get use to. The 10" wheels on scooters to me is a big adjustment. The bumps are harder on the PCX but I love the bike. I have put on almost 12,000 miles in 21 months.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I changed the shocks on my pcx and the seat. Now the ride is much better. After you buy the pcx you will find that there are a few improvements that you can do that will make a lot of difference. We also switched the tires to Michelin City Grips but that is a preference that not all of the members of this forum will agree with. To me they have better grip than the original tires do.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

You have not lived until you've done 60 mph on a Vino 125 with 10" wheels on wet roads. :D

Good choice though. I don't know if you suffer from gout but scooters are awesome to ride during attacks. I've had four attacks on the left foot and operating a car clutch pedal or bike gear shift is just downright painful or even impossible during these attacks. Having it in my right foot is no better, it's painful to use a car gas/brake pedal. I want to get a motorcycle again in a couple of years but I'll keep the scooter around for when I get gout attacks.

Of course PCX 150s is hands down the best under 200cc scooter out there. Enjoy!
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Welcome and here's to your making that sale. I, myself went from a '76 R/75 to a PCX150. The agility alone was worth the trip. Enjoy!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Geoffers wrote:I downsized from a Kawasaki ER6 650cc to a PCX125 and there are adjustments to be made. I don't trust the PCX anything like as much in corners or the wet. It's the smaller wheels that give you noticably less grip.

130 mpg? How do you manage that? I consistantly get 100. :o
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

db22 wrote:I've always ridden Honda bikes. For some time now I have ridden a 1975 CB550K which I built up from a pile of parts that was given to me. Advancing arthritis and lack of time for proper upkeep caused me to decide to put that bike and my stock of parts up for sale. I will use the proceeds to buy a Honda PCX 150 which I saw at the local dealership. It's a new 2015 model, black -- seems just right for an old man to use as a commuter and pleasure bike requiring little maintenance.

It's almost mine -- all I need to do is sell the 550, and I can walk in and pay for the scoot. They'll store it in a heated building for me until spring (this is Wisconsin, USA, and though the roads are currently dry, I'd risk hypothermia riding any bike before the end of March)

So -- I hope to learn all I can about the scoot on this forum while the winter passes, and start the spring on a new machine that will be ridden more than worked on.
Last winter--I live in Northern Illinois, Rockford to be exact--I rode my PCX right through from July 2014 almost til now. I would be riding now but I low sided a week ago and have a big ankle to show for it. The accident, mind you, had nothing to do with the weather. I got careless, turned wide into a parking lot entrance at the same instant some character decided to use the entrance for an exit. I braked hard, front wheel locked, rear wheel went out and down I went. I intend to write up this accident and post it somewhere on this site-- a cautionary account.

Anyway, winter riding on the PCX is not bad--the machine is so light and maneuverable. As long as you take it easy on the corners, no trouble should ensue. If you should slide out--it happened to me a few times--the bike is light enough to pick up even when you can't get good foot traction. Of course, I stay off the street when snow is falling and just after it has stopped. But most days, I am out there. Like you, I am a conservative rider. I wear halmet, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads, boots and, now, ankle braces. My machine is fitted with handlebar mitts too--a must after Dec 15.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

flyingzonker wrote:

130 mpg? How do you manage that? I consistantly get 100. :o

He's using imperial gallons instead of US gallons. If he were measuring in US gallons, it would be closer to what you get.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Geoffers wrote:It's the smaller wheels that give you noticably less grip.
See this a lot and I would suggest that it is complete and utter nonsense.
The diameter of the wheel has nothing whatsoever to do with available grip.
Grip is determined by the coefficients of friction of the tyre compound and road surface and the loading on the contact area.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
Grip is determined by the coefficients of friction of the tyre compound and road surface and the loading on the contact area.
Yeah, never really had an issue with grip based on wheel size. Stability, sure, but not grip.

Now, I will say, the grip on the Dunlops currently on my PCX is not as good as the grip on my old scooter's tires, but it's a whole different tread style.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Heh ya flyingzonker you've got me curious, what are ankle braces?
My ankles are weak, esp the left. That one got caught under a fallen bike years back. The sidestand and its mount trapped me good! Ow! I had on soft ankle high work boots. Not good enough protection. Bad choice right there! I broke a few toes in the mix too.
Shite happens < (wish it tweren't true) :(

Anyway, that's why I asked.
I'll go seek your fallen story now. Feel better and don't beat yourself up too bad. We make mistakes, we're all alike in that respect ;) Heal and Ride! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

If you are a Honda rider, you'll prob want to replace the shocks, world of diff
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Geoffers »

gn2 wrote:
Happy to stand corrected. I'd always assumed that smaller wheels = smaller contact area.

If I wanted to change the shocks as has been suggested, what would that do to warranty and insurance?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Some people also assume that wider motorcycle tyres means bigger contact area but that one's a myth too.
Changing shocks would invalidate the warranty and you would have to advise your insurer of the change.
Might up your premium, might not.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Geoffers »

Well, you live and learn. Cheers.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:Some people also assume that wider motorcycle tyres means bigger contact area but that one's a myth too.
Changing shocks would invalidate the warranty and you would have to advise your insurer of the change.
Might up your premium, might not.
There's an interesting little difference between the UK and the States. Insurers here don't require reporting of minor vehicle mods, like shock and fork changes.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Changing shocks kills warranty?, wow...not in the US.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI