Stock Tire mileage

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Stock Tire mileage

Post by Brent »

I just passed 6000 miles and my back tire is bald and needs to be replaced. I ride about 40mph around town
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Brent wrote:I just passed 6000 miles and my back tire is bald and needs to be replaced. I ride about 40mph around town
Do you do a lot of fast starts and acceleration? I've done 6000+ and my rear tyre has plenty of tread left.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

iceman wrote:
Brent wrote:I just passed 6000 miles and my back tire is bald and needs to be replaced. I ride about 40mph around town
Do you do a lot of fast starts and acceleration? I've done 6000+ and my rear tyre has plenty of tread left.
Must be something with the climate. I guess in Utah the weather can be a lot more generous to motorcyclists with nice hot, dry, and tacky asphalt, while in Britain the surface is rather slippery and wet during a significant portion of the year.
St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black & Red

Post by St.Clair »

Have a lot of sand round here in in Thailand and a lot of dirt roads in the country. Effects the tires quite a bit. You can go around 5 psi higher to make the tires last a bit longer. In colder climates can do the same...just park your bike on a piece of wood or old carpet overnight to maintain your pressures longer. Think 10000 miles with great priced tires is a bargain.
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.
Nikola Tesla
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

My Vino 125 had 18,000km when I bought them with original tires. The rears were at the wear bar, the fronts were still good tread wise. Both tires were 12 years old.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Brent »

I do not do fast starts! My guess is either I got a lemon for a tire, or the 3,000.00 feet elevation / 112 degree weather I drove in this past summer shorten the tire's life span!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Brent wrote:I do not do fast starts! My guess is either I got a lemon for a tire, or the 3,000.00 feet elevation / 112 degree weather I drove in this past summer shorten the tire's life span!
Others have reported poor life on the stock tyres and hope to have greater life with the 'oh so loved City Grips'.
Maybe IRC vary around the world because the slippage and life reported by some does not seem to gel with the experience of others. Are all stock tyres IRC or does Honda fit different ones dependent on locale and climate?
Been heavy rain and lots of puddles and oil on the road, no issue 18 months in on stock tyres and I had a look yesterday, rear tyre (original) still has lots of tread and life in it yet (and the roads on my part of London are bad for dips, pot-holes, poor repairs and loose gravel).
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

3000 miles and my tyre needs replacing soon, a lot of 60mph roads and we don't exactly have silky smooth roads here in the uk,.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

danieljw wrote:3000 miles and my tyre needs replacing soon, a lot of 60mph roads and we don't exactly have silky smooth roads here in the uk,.
A roads are usually better than most urban roads, but 3000 miles is fairly poor going. Riding on winter tyres would take that down even further!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can't speak for those who ride aggressively but we switched both of our bikes to City Grips because they have better grip than the original IRC tires. I know that each person has a different experience, but for us it made enough of a difference that we switched almost immediately after getting our bikes, at least on the rear tires. My wife's bike has them on the front and back, and hers stops quicker than mine, and holds the curves much better. Since we live in an environment where the temperature is often in the 90s and the humidity is close to that, the roads are hot. That may make more of a difference than in other environments, so I can't speak for others in different environments.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I got 9,000 miles on my IRC rear. The City Grip replacement is almost gone again at 18,000 miles. Wet weather grip was comparable with either tire with the Michelin feeling slightly harder if anything. The original IRC front is still on at 18,000 but getting low in the center. Scooters generally step out more easily in the rear (but more gently to catch it) than my motorcycles with similar IRC tires. Something to do with the lower center of gravity of the scooters requiring more lean of the tire to negotiate the same turn.
stevecbr
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by stevecbr »

Recently changed my IRC's on my 2011 PCX125 at 5200 miles, had an advisory at the MOT. Rear was on the wear indicator, front had lots of tread but as a set of Michelin City grips were under £70 I stuck a set of them on.
I was hoping they would be much better than the stock IRC's, but to be honest they dont feel much different
proteinsdef
Color: Black

Post by proteinsdef »

I have just come back from the garage I use that I originally booked in for valve clearances and brake fluid change. They rang me and said the IRC rear was completely shot at 6000 miles and advised a change. Surprisingly they recommended Avon tyres which are miles better int the wet.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can not speak for Avon tire brand because I have not heard of them, but I can say that IRC does not have a good grip pattern for wet riding. We looked at the pattern when we started having traction problems riding on wet roads. There is no center channel. That is also why we went to City Grips. They seem to do well on both wet and dry roads.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
proteinsdef
Color: Black

Post by proteinsdef »

Mel46 wrote:I can not speak for Avon tire brand because I have not heard of them, but I can say that IRC does not have a good grip pattern for wet riding. We looked at the pattern when we started having traction problems riding on wet roads. There is no center channel. That is also why we went to City Grips. They seem to do well on both wet and dry roads.

TBH my tyre was so worn it was struggling on the outside pattern as well!. The Avone tyre is similar to the Michilin in terms of tread, will see how long it lasts for. Had the valves done as well for the first time at 6000 miles and they were fine! Mechanic said to get them checked every 10000 not 2500.