Mouldy gloves.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Mouldy gloves.

Post by EmilyJEG »

Josh went to pick up his scooter today, so I said I would ride down and meet up with him. I haven't ridden my scooter for about two and a half weeks since I got soaked - I decided it was easier to get the bus for now! We'll hopefully be moving to a closer car park too, so that I don't have to walk half a mile to get to the scooter... but anyway, I got to my scooter, put my helmet on, looked at my gloves - and they were covered in green specks/patches and white fluff! It hadn't really occurred to me that this might happen if I left them in my scooter whilst they were slightly damp... I was mortified, but the man who was sorting out Josh's scooter told me to wipe them down and cover them in Vaseline. I've since read mixed reviews about doing this, but they are now mould-free. I was so relieved that I didn't have to buy a new pair! :oops:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Mouldy gloves.

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:Josh went to pick up his scooter today, so I said I would ride down and meet up with him. I haven't ridden my scooter for about two and a half weeks since I got soaked - I decided it was easier to get the bus for now! We'll hopefully be moving to a closer car park too, so that I don't have to walk half a mile to get to the scooter... but anyway, I got to my scooter, put my helmet on, looked at my gloves - and they were covered in green specks/patches and white fluff! It hadn't really occurred to me that this might happen if I left them in my scooter whilst they were slightly damp... I was mortified, but the man who was sorting out Josh's scooter told me to wipe them down and cover them in Vaseline. I've since read mixed reviews about doing this, but they are now mould-free. I was so relieved that I didn't have to buy a new pair! :oops:

If the gloves are leather you need to let them airdry naturally every time they get wet

I'm not sure if I'd leave me helmet and gloves with the scooter.
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I was too wet to think about anything properly at the time :( I will know for in future though. I should probably have bought waterproofs (my jacket is waterproof but I have jeans which obviously aren't!), but I couldn't really afford them. It was only a light rain when I set off - just happened that it decided to hail ten minutes or so later! I don't leave my helmet in the scooter, although it would be so much easier if I could. I'm scared it'll get stolen or damaged (it cost over £300 - which I certainly wasn't planning on spending!).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I've got a lightweight pair of waterproof pants that pop on over jeans that I bought from a camping shop. They cost pennies and I squash them into the little glovebox thingy at the front

Not glamorous but they do the job
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Oh right, I will have a look somewhere like that then! :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:Oh right, I will have a look somewhere like that then! :)

Remember there's a minimum age limit in most camping shops of 70

And you might come out with those strange walking pole things....
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Lol I will try to resist the urge to buy one ;)
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

I bought a pair of ski trousers for a few quid in a sale, they are waterproof and comfortable. I wear them over my work trousers easily. I got them from mountain warehouse, always worth having a look in there for water proof trousers,
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I have been using these for past 8 years. Slip over your jeans without having to take shoes off. Very good in heavy downpour.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/prod ... tAoduRcArg

I keep these as spare gloves under seat for when it rains. Ideal for summer use and keep you dry.

http://www.rsaccessories.co.uk/index.ph ... duct_id=49

Am elastic band keeps the trousers and gloves together and they take up little space.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TC3 wrote:I have been using these for past 8 years. Slip over your jeans without having to take shoes off. Very good in heavy downpour.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/prod ... tAoduRcArg

I keep these as spare gloves under seat for when it rains. Ideal for summer use and keep you dry.

http://www.rsaccessories.co.uk/index.ph ... duct_id=49

Am elastic band keeps the trousers and gloves together and they take up little space.
The pants look similar to mine. I'll check out the Oxford gloves.

One thing I always do when the gloves are wet is pinch the finger tips when I take them off to stop the liner pulling out
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

ive got some waterproof overtrousers like that, work well enough.