R.I.P Fonda

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: R.I.P Fonda

Post by iceman »

Many european countries have good roads - ones I've been to and been amazed at the state of the roads compared to the UK are Denmark, Belgium, Holland.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I found roads in France and Spain to be a mixed bag, some are OK but smaller roads off the beaten track can be truly appalling.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I found roads in France and Spain to be a mixed bag, some are OK but smaller roads off the beaten track can be truly appalling.

I've only got experience to go by but have to disagree.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I only have experience to go by too.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Road surfaces are not the issue...
If I set out on a known road, and go down 2 times...I would not be able to find fault with the road.
When I ride at 03°F I imagine there might be some road surface issues. If I then put my scooter down on some ice...it is not the fault of the ice or the road.
It is my unforced error in riding.

Actually, if I go down on an unknown road I will still not be able to fault the road. I should have been riding with special care on an unknown road surface.

A person moving on two wheels must be extraordinarily aware of the road surfaces!
If you're as relaxed as being in a car...you need to get off and walk.
Sand in a turn-off? Gravel? You better plan for it before you get there, just in case.

(regarding those high speed two wheel videos on utoob:
High speed riding into blind corners, or on an unknown road, is thrilling ....and stupid. So is busting down a busy urban street with many intersections.
In those cases scooter riding is just a juvenile crap shoot.)
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I only have experience to go by too.

Google doesn't count
Seph
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by Seph »

fish wrote:Road surfaces are not the issue...
If I set out on a known road, and go down 2 times...I would not be able to find fault with the road.
When I ride at 03°F I imagine there might be some road surface issues. If I then put my scooter down on some ice...it is not the fault of the ice or the road.
It is my unforced error in riding.

Actually, if I go down on an unknown road I will still not be able to fault the road. I should have been riding with special care on an unknown road surface.

A person moving on two wheels must be extraordinarily aware of the road surfaces!
If you're as relaxed as being in a car...you need to get off and walk.
Sand in a turn-off? Gravel? You better plan for it before you get there, just in case.

(regarding those high speed two wheel videos on utoob:
High speed riding into blind corners, or on an unknown road, is thrilling ....and stupid. So is busting down a busy urban street with many intersections.
In those cases scooter riding is just a juvenile crap shoot.)
Fish
Alright dad! :lol:
Seph

Yamaha YBR 2011 Silver (MGE AKA Madge)
Honda PCX 2015 Red (A.K.A Fonda) *Deceased*
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

If you live in areas with very bad roads as Seph has shown us, then perhaps forgetting a scooter and getting a geared bike is better. Indeed larger CC bikes such as 350 onwards are safer than 125cc if the rider rides with care and attention and just doesn't push things - they have much better brakes, much better tyres which are wider and give more grip when cornering. Small scoots just cannot compare for grip.
Two in work that passed their full tests (were on CBT's) came from a scooter and 125 geared bike - they said even on their training the larger 500-600cc bikes felt much safer for handling than the 125's ever did. You do not need to rev up and speed to impress no-one, just ride safely.
chigman

Post by chigman »

You can be as careful as you like, but you can't legislate for a twerp in a white van pulling straight out on you as happened to me last Wednesday. Bike looks in sorry state, my leg is in plaster and I'm struggling just to get around. The guy who pulled out on me was on his way after the police had finished with him and getting on with his day. Life's a bitch sometimes !

The only blessing was that an off duty WPC was sitting directly behind the guy who pulled out, and she see everything :) She was just on her way to work.
Seph
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Seph »

iceman wrote:If you live in areas with very bad roads as Seph has shown us, then perhaps forgetting a scooter and getting a geared bike is better. Indeed larger CC bikes such as 350 onwards are safer than 125cc if the rider rides with care and attention and just doesn't push things - they have much better brakes, much better tyres which are wider and give more grip when cornering. Small scoots just cannot compare for grip.
Two in work that passed their full tests (were on CBT's) came from a scooter and 125 geared bike - they said even on their training the larger 500-600cc bikes felt much safer for handling than the 125's ever did. You do not need to rev up and speed to impress no-one, just ride safely.
Literally was just saying this to my wife. She told me the other day to get something else when we can afford it. She can't stand how miserable I am without Fonda, and she understands I need my freedom. I've been looking at some bikes. I'm also thinking I might attend a few lessons maybe even think about doing some training again to make me a safer rider. Just thinking out aloud atm but we'll see.
Seph

Seph
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Seph »

chigman wrote:You can be as careful as you like, but you can't legislate for a twerp in a white van pulling straight out on you as happened to me last Wednesday. Bike looks in sorry state, my leg is in plaster and I'm struggling just to get around. The guy who pulled out on me was on his way after the police had finished with him and getting on with his day. Life's a bitch sometimes !

The only blessing was that an off duty WPC was sitting directly behind the guy who pulled out, and she see everything :) She was just on her way to work.
Grim that happened to you mate! You have to be a fortune teller to ride a PCX it seems ;)! Hope the leg get's better and your bike!
Seph

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

chigman wrote: Bike looks in sorry state, my leg is in plaster and I'm struggling just to get around.
WAIT! chigman are you DOWN? I leave state half a day and somebody fell off
Attachments
question.jpg
question.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

What's going! In the past there has been the odd tumble or injury but the past few weeks we've seen people falling and getting injured almost every other day!
chigman

Post by chigman »

Seph wrote:
chigman wrote:You can be as careful as you like, but you can't legislate for a twerp in a white van pulling straight out on you as happened to me last Wednesday. Bike looks in sorry state, my leg is in plaster and I'm struggling just to get around. The guy who pulled out on me was on his way after the police had finished with him and getting on with his day. Life's a bitch sometimes !

Grim that happened to you mate! You have to be a fortune teller to ride a PCX it seems ;)! Hope the leg get's better and your bike!
Thanks Seph, much appreciated :)

Homie... yes down my friend but not out. get my leg sorted, get by bike sorted, and then I'm back riding. This mishap wasn't my fault after all. :x
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yet another fall....Ouch! Yes, Feel Better chigman! :(

It's Sad? (you choose a better word) so many drivers just don't see us. What can We do?
Perhaps consider brighter clothing, helmet and bike color? We can utilize what's available to us and "Try Hard-er" to be seen. Like adding extra lighting, reflective tape etc.
Any other ideas?

There's just too many vehicle's on the road and Not Enough Road! Population always growing....more vehicles, more vehicles...more danger.
We have to keep telling ourselves to be Alert and Careful.
"Play it Again Sam" .......over and over.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chigman

Post by chigman »

Thank you WhiteNoise for kind words 8)

I have a black PCX, maybe not a good choice on reflection, and I wear a white lid and textile hi viz jacket, but he still said he never see me :?