First 100 miles

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

First 100 miles

Post by Blazinby »

so "Blackstar" (my scootay) arrived eight days ago and she's been living in my Garage ever since, so today I had my CBT and hired a van.

I figure eight days of not riding even once was painful enough.

I arrived at the Bike place with the same one mile on the odometer as when she got delivered to my house.After a successful afternoon at the test centre and several happy hours commuting all over the

greater Glasgow area (in some atrocious weather might I add) we have now shared 97 miles of joy.

Should just about get to Halfords or somewhere and get some oil for that 100 mile swap also seemed a bit "lumpy" when cruising at 30-40 mph, By that I mean it felt as tho the engine wasn't running as

smoothly as it should almost like the timing was off or an automatic choke was stifling it. I put some fuel in and it seemed better, thinking maybe been lying around with cheap fuel in it? Will check the fuel filter

as well when I change the oil.

Will report back afterwards

B :)

P.S. I now get that you really shouldn't accelerate whilst turning in the pouring rain, or park facing downhill using your side stand (Yes I really did that) ;)
Seph
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Re: First 100 miles

Post by Seph »

Hey, I just went for my first service on Tuesday after 600 miles. I hadn't had needed to do a thing to it until then.
Seph

Yamaha YBR 2011 Silver (MGE AKA Madge)
Honda PCX 2015 Red (A.K.A Fonda) *Deceased*
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blazinby »

cool Seph I just thought I would change it after the first 100 miles and I'm glad I did

pulled the oil out and it was black as tar.

some weird bits on the oil filter as well looked like blue paint (no it's not off the WD40 :) ) and also fine filaments like steel wool.

DSC_0289.jpg
DSC_0289.jpg (136.46 KiB) Viewed 793 times
sort sort of instant gasket residue?
DSC_0290.jpg
DSC_0290.jpg (134.79 KiB) Viewed 793 times
good to go but still gonna check the fuel filter as well, def a job for tomorrow

loving the two wheels !! (even tho I'm still crap at slow speed traffic :oops:)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The oil was black with a brand new scoot?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Blazinby wrote:still gonna check the fuel filter as well, def a job for tomorrow
The fuel filter is not a service item and is not available as a separate part, it is incorporated in the fuel pump, lives inside the tank, and should last the life of the scooter without ever seeing the light of day.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blazinby »

hey iceman, yeah check it out man
DSC_0291.jpg
DSC_0291.jpg (177.64 KiB) Viewed 752 times
thanks gn2.

my scoot def doesn't seem to like cruising at a constant speed great when accelerating and slows down well.

feels like a small misfire as though the timing is slightly out, I know I'm not being very precise but I wonder if this is how scooters feel or if there is something amiss

I guess I should do the valve clearance it's just a lot of plastic to take off to get there. guess I'm heading for the "how to" forum

Cheers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Yeesh...that oil is indeed very dark. Odd that is.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

So, this PCX was sold as basically new with 1 mile on the clock, yet has oil looking like it's been in for 5000 miles or more! (and you have other concerns). Something not right here.
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blazinby »

yeah having concerns about this myself now,

I bought the scooter from a Honda dealership (Phoenix in u.k.) and have faith in my Honda warranty unless there are horror stories I haven't heard

think I should check the valve clearances myself? I have done them on cars more often than I can remember (mostly 20+ years ago but hey) or just give up and let the dealer have a look at it?

scooter seems a little less shiny today so I have decided my good lady and I need a meeting to plan our strategy and at 12:06pm on a Sunday there is only one place to hold such a meeting :lol:

I be back when I'm wobbly

cheers for the input