rear tyre valve advice please.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

rear tyre valve advice please.

Post by dergav »

What could turn out to be the stupid question of 2015!
Got a new rear tyre fitted and got the garage to use a right angle valve to make inflating easier...
When I got back home I "thought" the valve would be better facing the other way for accessing it so I turned it round..Tyre immediately started deflating at the valve and even when turning the valve back it totally deflated...and now of course wont take being inflated....new flat tyre!
Was I just being stupid turning the valve or is perhaps something wrong in the fitting...before I return to the garage.
thanks for any advice ...and feel free to call me a numpty if thats what I have been!
cheers....
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: rear tyre valve advice please.

Post by homie »

that is a very poor design if you only need to twist the stem to vandalize a vehicle... note to self never get those

thanks for the heads up and sorry this is your experience.
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

I'm guessing you turned it counter clock wise and it loosened the lock nut on the stem inside the tire which loosened the seal (o-ring or gasket) that's inside, outside or both. You may get lucky and try turning it back in the other direction to see if it will seal. If there is a nut on the outside just tighten that. I'm guessing not, since you probably would have tried. If it does start to tighten you're not going to have much choice as to where it finally seats though and you may tear the seal which also means game over. If it was me I'd give it a try, what have you got to lose it's flat already. If it seems to work have worked keep a close eye on your pressure for at least a few days. Google images of "right angle tire valve" so you have a good visual of what you are dealing with. Good luck.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Atis
I think thats exactly what I did!!..previously on last bike I was likely turning only clockwise!...but didnt think of any significance..and it worked well..
Ah well....life is a big learning curve...at least I did it when at home and not out on a trip someplace!!
Dont know about in USA but I have found on the Forza in UK that at UK air pumps ( at least in Scotland) its well nigh impossible to connect the air pump to a straight valve...so had bought angles valve fitments to attach when putting in air ..but thought the fitted angles valve would be best when renewing tyre.
Have tried tightening clockwise but not making any difference so think I have knacked it......
Now to go get this blasted wheel off!!...again.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

For £30 you can get a portable 12v powered inflator that weights next to nothing and you can carry with you on long journeys - I have one and it works a treat and has a very accurate gauge. Mine also came with a connector you can leave connected to the battery and you just plugged the inflator up when you like.
Works like a charm on my PCX (so Forza too?) and still uses the normal valve pointing inwards to the tyre hub.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Alternatively, once the tyre is inflated to the correct pressure, leave it alone and don't check it again.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

gn2 wrote:Alternatively, once the tyre is inflated to the correct pressure, leave it alone and don't check it again.
Mine go down a few psi every few months, so not good to never check them.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

I would return to the garage and have a standard tyre valve fitted. I think angle valves were originally designed for agricultural tractors. The Honda Silverwing 600 uses an angled tyre valve with a bracket which goes over the valve to stop it moving - you must use the bracket if fitting angled tyre valves (same system as a Honda Gold Wing). There is no provision on the Forza for that kind of bracket.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

update for Forza owners information...to learn from my mistake...
One fact I had omitted to mention ( because I didnt think it relevant but now know it was!) was that after "turning" the angle valve I turned on and revved the engine while on centre stand for another reason...the angle valve facing my way apparently hits something as the wheel turns and that weakened the side of the valve resulting in it blowing.
My summary would be for Forza owners to avoid fitting an angle valve on their rear tyre and stick with the straight valve...and get one of those angle attachments for use when at the air pump...bit of a pain but safer.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:
gn2 wrote:Alternatively, once the tyre is inflated to the correct pressure, leave it alone and don't check it again.
Mine go down a few psi every few months, so not good to never check them.

Idiotic really...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

dergav wrote: after "turning" the angle valve I revved the engine while on the centre stand, the angle valve facing my way apparently hits something as the wheel turns and that weakened the side of the valve resulting in it blowing.
Chief says better late with that part of the story than never.
Attachments
mac&chief2.jpg
mac&chief2.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
claudioggs

Post by claudioggs »

Hi,
Keep the original valve is a good idea (TR412 ??).
I added some external TPMS (tire pressure monitor system), and the rear one touched something, probably the caliper, so there are not to much gap.
May be you can install a very low profile valve stem like the attached ones.
Check also the the valve 65252-68 Motorcycle Bet, in Schrader catalog.
https://www.schraderinternational.com/~ ... 70113.ashx
Cheers
Blue Racing Motorcycle CNC Aluminum Wheels Valve Stems Caps 90 Degrees
valve 90 B.JPG (87.81 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
valve 90 A.JPG (90.32 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
claudioggs

Post by claudioggs »

glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

Motorcycle tyre shops advise not to use angled tyre valves unless the wheel has a holding bracket like the Honda Silverwing 600 or Goldwing. Using the standard type valves will give no trouble.