Forza rear tire get hot

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Forza rear tire get hot

Post by davenowherejones »

Hi, My Forza 300 ScootSmart rear tire used to get quite hot. Almost burn your hand hot. Is this normal?

I do a lot of high speed highway canyon riding. 80-120 kmph in the twisties.

The Dunlop lasted about 8000 km and then I got a few carpenter's staples in the centre of the tread. I was up about 5000 feet and came down the highway. I thought I was hitting the ruts a little weirdly. The next morning I had a flat tire. So are the Dunlops a run flat tire or was I lucky to be alive?

I had the tire patched and plugged while I waited for a new tire. I did another 2000 km on the plugs.

The mechanic had called Honda and they sent him a Michelin City Grip 150/70-13 instead of my requested original Dunlop Scoot Smart 140/70-13. The Michelin is a little wider and a tight fit.

The City Grip tire also runs quite hot. Is this normal for these 300 Forzas?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: Forza rear tire get hot

Post by Oyabun »

While I don't know if those michelins supposed to be running hotter or not, I can say you might want to play a bit with your tire pressure at the back.
With the michelin pilot sports I've used on my 600rr when I needed good traction at the twisties or at the track I used to lower the pressure, so the more deformation of the tire got it hotter resulting in better grip. When I occasionally needed more durability on the highway I pumped them a bit over the normal pressure so they were running colder and had less wear. We would talk about 1.6 bars and 2.5 at the two extreme ends. If you feel uncomfortable with the current running tem, try to raise the pressure with about 0.2bars and see what happens.
Enjoy, and remember to keep rubber side down at all times. ;-)
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Forza rear tire get hot

Post by speedandstyle »

Tires do get hot especially in hot weather and/or ridden hard. Scooter tires are smaller than motorcycle tires and thus rotate more times at a given speed so they do tend to get a bit hotter. Also the exhaust pipe is right next to the tire which adds heat. After a good ride you shouldn't be able to just grab your tire and not expect it to be hot. The time to worry is when the tire is so hot that rubber is dripping off - then you have a problem.