Fuel pump recall fail

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Fuel pump recall fail

Post by Atis »

I've brought my Forza in for the fuel pump replacement. I brought it in about 4 weeks ago and realized I had a leak the night I brought it home. Overnight it leaked out about a gallon. The dealer towed it away the next day and serviced it again. I got it back the following day and drove about 3 weeks maybe about 300 - 400 miles. While riding one morning I realized I had a leak again when I almost dumped the bike pulling away from a light with a puddle of gas in front of my back tire. This time the leak was at a rate of 1 1/2 gallons in less than 2 hours! The dealer towed it from my job and serviced it again, I got it back two days later. My assessment is that the recall service has resulted in a far more dangerous condition than Honda's original concern. I never had a problem prior to the service and now I have a scooter that I consider dangerous and unreliable. I know I am not the only one who has had this problem. I should add that although I am obviously not pleased, the dealer seems to have been making a very sincere effort to properly resolve these problems. I'm guessing this is common enough that this is less a situation of poor servicing but of bad engineering. Would anyone else like to share their experiences or thoughts on this?
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Fuel pump recall fail

Post by gn2 »

The replacement seals are difficult to get seated propely.
The dealer should have checked they were seated and working before releasing the bike.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

Both visits it sat there overnight. First time I noticed a leak after getting home. The second leak was very fast when it occured, but three weeks later. A fail yes but not leaking when released..
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Yes - this has been discussed at length including the fuel leak after pump replacement. There are seals that they replace and are a bit tricky. I think dealer experience with Forzas is a factor. Don't let them tell you that this is uncommon. Basically, they messed up and need to fix it. My Forza had no problems but my dealer sells and services a significant number of scooters in general and has several techs that specialize in them.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4138
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

It took my dealer three tries to get the new pump installed without creating a leak. it's now been more then 2 months and 2000 miles without a leak! Apparently it's VERY crucial not to get any fuel on the new oring before installing the pump. One possible source of fuel is the fuel filter, which needs to be completely dry before installing it on the pump and the tank should be dry also.

I posted this after the final successful pump installation...

Looks like the dealer finally got the fuel leak cured after changing the fuel pump on my Forza...3rd times the charm I guess. It's been almost a week with no leak showing up. I asked the dealer what they did different this time and he said this time they let the fuel filter, which is attached to the bottom of the pump, dry completely before they slipped the oring over it and onto the pump. The oring swells when gasoline contacts it (apparently it's suppose to BUT only after the pump is installed and fuel added). Then they installed it "dry"...no oil on the oring. He also said mine was the first Forza they did the fuel pump recall on that came in with fuel in the tank...the others were brand new, off the showroom. They must have not pumped all the fuel out of the tank on previous tries...???
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

That is just annoying for you...dont accept it back from the dealer until he gives 100% assurance that he has fixed the leak...let him keep it until he is able to give that assurance as otherwise you are at danger....let the dealer test ride it until they are certain...not you test riding it!... the leak is easily fixed if care is taken and no dealer should be letting a bike out of their garage until they are certain they have fixed..
Mine has never given any such problem after the recall....as also with many others ...so it can be done.
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

I agree fully that I should not be test driving it to test a repair, as I said It's dangerous, I know. If I thought this was a case of a poor job by an individual mechanic I would not have even raised the discussion. My point is that I believe this result is all too common. I believe that some of the earlier posters and others may agree. I do also believe that a single successful replacement of the fuel pump is the norm, thank goodness. I just can't help but wonder if this recall has resulted in a more common, more dangerous condition than than the original concern.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Very weird. When I posted here GN2's post was not there or I would not have posted the same stuff.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
CelticCross
Year: 2011
Color: Gray

Post by CelticCross »

I am another one who had a gas leak after having the fuel filter replaced. The filter was replaced prior to my purchase and I noticed no problem until I had my first refueling. I wondered if I had overfilled my tank as the gas odor dissipated after a few days. After my second refueling, I parked my scooter outside as the gas odor was so great. Took my scooter back to the dealer. They had the scooter long enough (11 days) to to verify that the fuel leakage was fixed before I got my Forza back.