Lubrication between the Boss and the Driveshaft...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Dave Bo
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Lubrication between the Boss and the Driveshaft...

Post by Dave Bo »

Ok, so about two months ago, I changed the stock 16 gram rollers to 13 gram NCY rollers in the vario... I did this after I changed my tires over to the Michelin City Grips because I had lost some acceleration do to their size and weight... The results were great but my top speed was only about 63-64 ( probably was a bit faster due to the larger diameter tires ). After reading some postings on this forum and others about "Rollers vs. Sliders" I realized that I could gain some top end speed by swapping over to 13 gram Dr Pulley Sliders. Here is what happened about five minutes into the job...

I took the cover of and loosened the vario nut. Everything slide off the shaft as expected except the boss and the cam plate ( the sheet metal thing behind the drive pulley ). It was stuck! Frozen in place! It literally took over two hours of carefully prying and 1/4 can of WD-40 before I was finally able to remove them... After a celebratory "adult beverage" I carefully looked for the cause of my problem and found a small RUST SPOT on the drive shaft... It was very tiny and came right off with a piece of 800 grit sandpaper, but man, did that ever cause me anxiety... I am guessing that some moisture from my hands during my 13 gram roller swap a few months before got on there and started to corrode the shaft. Imagine if I would have left it alone for a longer period of time? I would have been stuck there permanently! After cleaning everything up with denatured alcohol, I put a very thin layer of Lithium Grease on the entire drive shaft. I did the same to the inside of the boss as well. Everything went back together as normal...

The good news is the sliders did the trick... I hit 72 MPH on my way home from work today! I just thought I would share my story with you folks. If you're going to take your vario assembly off of the drive shaft, LUBRICATE INSIDE THE BOSS before you put it back together!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Lubrication between the Boss and the Driveshaft...

Post by you you »

Dave Bo wrote:Ok, so about two months ago, I changed the stock 16 gram rollers to 13 gram NCY rollers in the vario... I did this after I changed my tires over to the Michelin City Grips because I had lost some acceleration do to their size and weight... The results were great but my top speed was only about 63-64 ( probably was a bit faster due to the larger diameter tires ). After reading some postings on this forum and others about "Rollers vs. Sliders" I realized that I could gain some top end speed by swapping over to 13 gram Dr Pulley Sliders. Here is what happened about five minutes into the job...

I took the cover of and loosened the vario nut. Everything slide off the shaft as expected except the boss and the cam plate ( the sheet metal thing behind the drive pulley ). It was stuck! Frozen in place! It literally took over two hours of carefully prying and 1/4 can of WD-40 before I was finally able to remove them... After a celebratory "adult beverage" I carefully looked for the cause of my problem and found a small RUST SPOT on the drive shaft... It was very tiny and came right off with a piece of 800 grit sandpaper, but man, did that ever cause me anxiety... I am guessing that some moisture from my hands during my 13 gram roller swap a few months before got on there and started to corrode the shaft. Imagine if I would have left it alone for a longer period of time? I would have been stuck there permanently! After cleaning everything up with denatured alcohol, I put a very thin layer of Lithium Grease on the entire drive shaft. I did the same to the inside of the boss as well. Everything went back together as normal...

The good news is the sliders did the trick... I hit 72 MPH on my way home from work today! I just thought I would share my story with you folks. If you're going to take your vario assembly off of the drive shaft, LUBRICATE INSIDE THE BOSS before you put it back together!
Cam plate behind the drive pulley? What camshaft? What plate? What drive shaft? Crankshaft?
Dave Bo

Post by Dave Bo »

Guess they have schools in the Center of the Universe?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

booooooooooooooo I did not add lubricate to the Boss, that was 2200 miles ago. Maybe I get back in there and see if what has happened to you is happening to me. How will I sleep until I know? I do recall the Boss was lubricated on the outside for sure and I did not wipe it off of course, but I touched it with my bare hands as well. To be clear which surface on the Boss had the rust, inner or outer?
Rats man, you say "carefully prying" that would mean NO metal tools... Chief say's "HOW"
Attachments
chief.jpg
chief.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Would any moisture from your hands or even a small amount of water cause that! I would have thought it would evaporate due to time/heat. Are you sure the out cover is sealed/seated properly and rain or washing is not the cause?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

iceman wrote:Would any moisture from your hands or even a small amount of water cause that! I would have thought it would evaporate due to time/heat. Are you sure the out cover is sealed/seated properly and rain or washing is not the cause?
I also have a hard time believing a small spot of rust was the culprit, more like corrosion welded the item to the shaft. Next time soak it for 24 hours in PB Blaster to get it off.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX125

Post by Blubayou »

Same happened to me on my Sym Joyride a few years ago.

I released the stuck part by starting the engine with the nut removed.........

You can guess what happened! The variator grenaded all over the garage. I do not recommend this method.

Anyway to avoid any reccurrance of such things I use a light wipe of copperslip on all such things, especially steel threads into alloy.
Dave Bo

Post by Dave Bo »

A picture is worth a thousand words... The tolerance in between the shaft and the inside of the boss (part #3) is probably around .001". If corrosion forms on either the shaft or the surface inside boss, you will experience the same "oh crap" moment that I did...

PS - 13 gram Dr. Pulley Sliders purchased at Scooterworks.com for $29.99... Worth every penny.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (87.6 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Relieved... I thought you meant something was sticking on the outside of the boss. I recall the inside was well greased, you could feel it when you put it back on.
Attachments
Boss.jpg
Boss.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

but then there was the header on this post :)
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

I have recently changed stock weights for 13g Dr pulley on my pcx 125. Acceleration is much better mpg almost the same but didn't get any top speed improvement. I get 65 mph on the speedo with new bando belt.