Scooter sales in the USA going down fast

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Scooter sales in the USA going down fast

Post by Walrus »

I read today that US scooter sales in 2013 were reported down by 6,363 units, which would mean a decrease of -18.6% from 2012 and 2014 had another -3.5% drop. All other categories had an increase with the biggest in Off-Road bikes up 10.9%. This surprised me. I may be showing my age but I really like riding scooters these days. I like motorcycles too, but a scooter is by far the better ride in the city, and on a 90 degree day like today in the South. Any thoughts on why scooter sales are sinking in the US?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Scooter sales in the USA going down fast

Post by homie »

We are systematically kicking the Arabs to the curb producing our own gasoline from alternative processes. Never again to have the control they did over the US fuel market. Their own fault, we were content to pay 3-4 dollars a gallon forever but they got greedy and rallied good old American ingenuity. Plus there is that other thing America we be slow to anger over but quick to squash if they insist. Follow the money trail and nine times out of ten the answer is there. The Brits have long since embraced the scooter with their high petro prices, we would have too but we have a better plan.
Attachments
question.jpg
question.jpg (11.3 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The trend in America now seems to be back to big cars with big engines. Count the big suv "boats" on the road. It seems like every housewife with 2 kids has a Suburban or a close cousin to it. Do they need it? No. They get it because they can.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

As said above, the largest contributing factor is gas being cheap. When gas goes back up and even higher than its been, scoots, hybrids and elec vehicles will go back up. We are seeing same thing in the car industry for gas miser vehicles. Gas hog Big engine cars like the new corvette, BMW M4, muscle cars and big SUV'S are doing well.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

homie wrote:The Brits have long since embraced the scooter
Err no.
Scooters are outsold by bikes four to one.
http://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistic ... 201412.pdf
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:We are systematically kicking the Arabs to the curb producing our own gasoline from alternative processes. Never again to have the control they did over the US fuel market. Their own fault, we were content to pay 3-4 dollars a gallon forever but they got greedy and rallied good old American ingenuity. Plus there is that other thing America we be slow to anger over but quick to squash if they insist. Follow the money trail and nine times out of ten the answer is there. The Brits have long since embraced the scooter with their high petro prices, we would have too but we have a better plan.

You're not quite right are you?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:The trend in America now seems to be back to big cars with big engines. Count the big suv "boats" on the road. It seems like every housewife with 2 kids has a Suburban or a close cousin to it. Do they need it? No. They get it because they can.

Well pointed out. Slight sniff of cheap fuel and you will piss it away with both hands. Fuck everyone else
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Bring back the 2-stroke diesels :D
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
homie wrote:The Brits have long since embraced the scooter
Err no.
Scooters are outsold by bikes four to one.
http://www.mcia.co.uk/Uploads/Statistic ... 201412.pdf

It's a real struggle to get a scooter licence over here. Taxi ride is cheap and simple for the kids
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Getting harder soon You2, been hearing rumors that they're adding the theory/hazard to the CBT course.
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:Getting harder soon You2, been hearing rumors that they're adding the theory/hazard to the CBT course.
Rumours are rumours I suppose. With every apprenticeship should come a free CBT.

God bless them though when any dimwit ageing bleached blond sunglasses wearing post MILF can run a three ton black 4x4 on the same road
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

you you wrote:
DrewJW wrote:Getting harder soon You2, been hearing rumors that they're adding the theory/hazard to the CBT course.
Rumours are rumours I suppose. With every apprenticeship should come a free CBT.

God bless them though when any dimwit ageing bleached blond sunglasses wearing post MILF can run a three ton black 4x4 on the same road
Or some aging guy in a Kia, doing 20mph in a 40mph, then 50mph in a 30mph, indicating left then going right, and having a mild heart attack at a major roundabout. :lol:
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:
you you wrote:

Or some aging guy in a Kia, doing 20mph in a 40mph, then 50mph in a 30mph, indicating left then going right, and having a mild heart attack at a major roundabout. :lol:

Christ yes.. 40mph on 60mph roads and the same through and past schools through the villages. You just know they are going to live to 90 and no one else behind is

No offence GN2
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Billy keeps asking "what is post MILF"
Attachments
macbilly.jpg
macbilly.jpg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Billy keeps asking "what is post MILF"

:D something that you wouldn't like to touch with yours... :D
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

Any sales figure for least year and this year, running? Seems I see scooters all over this year, more than ever, really. I downsized from an R75 and haven't looked back, except with great memories. Scooters to me, are all the fun without the hassle.
Happy PCX'er's REPRESENT!.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

j.d.b. wrote:Any sales figure for least year and this year, running? Seems I see scooters all over this year, more than ever, really. I downsized from an R75 and haven't looked back, except with great memories. Scooters to me, are all the fun without the hassle.
Happy PCX'er's REPRESENT!.

I a agree with you. Forget about the sales figures, let's keep it to ourselves :D
CelticCross
Year: 2011
Color: Gray

Post by CelticCross »

Scooters are scarce here. I've seen as many Harley Trikes and Can Ams as scooters this summer.
Walrus
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Walrus »

A lot of data is available at: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... istics.htm

Here is an excerpt:
2014 U.S. Motorcycle Sales Totals

February 10, 2015 (Various Sources) - The 2014 U.S. motorcycle sale numbers are in, compiled by the Motorcycle Industry Council and others.

Sales are up again (slightly) and 2014 marks the fourth consecutive year of slight increases in U.S. motorcycle sales. The 2014 sales total for street bikes, dual-sport and off-road motorcycles is 483,526. That is up about 3.7% from the 465,783 total reported in 2013.

Those numbers are nothing like the boom years of 2004-2005, when nearly 1.1 million motorcycles were reported sold in the U.S.A.

The largest increase in sales was for off-road motorcycles, which is rather surprising. Dual-sport bikes remain popular but scooter sales were down yet again. U.S. scooter sales in 2013 were reported down by 6,363 units, which would mean a decrease of -18.6% from 2012 and 2014 indicates another 3.5% drop.

I tend to agree - scooters are all the fun with less hassle. More sales might lead to more choices?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Walrus wrote:I tend to agree - scooters are all the fun with less hassle. More sales might lead to more choices?
Well I think Chief sold two today just by parking mine outside a restaurant... awesome.
Attachments
mac&chief.jpg
mac&chief.jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 1952 times