Getting a PCX 125 on Saturday!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Getting a PCX 125 on Saturday!

Post by EmilyJEG »

I went to Hein Gericke originally, but then decided to go with Get Geared. A bit less fancy but seemed to be better value! (They are next door to each other, and there's another shop on the opposite side of the road but when I asked about helmets the man didn't have a clue, so I decided to avoid that one!).
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

MCE are great and dealt with a claim I made promptly so you are in good hands.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:I went to Hein Gericke originally, but then decided to go with Get Geared. A bit less fancy but seemed to be better value! (They are next door to each other, and there's another shop on the opposite side of the road but when I asked about helmets the man didn't have a clue, so I decided to avoid that one!).

I've been going to HG in Leeds for years but didn't realise there was a shop next door. Might make a visit next weekend. Know what you mean about the shop opposite. Used to look in occasionally but it wasn't worth risking my kneck crossing the road sometimes
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Collected the scooter today - was terrified but the ride back was actually not that bad. Went round in a big circle to begin with which was a nuisance as it meant that I was late back for Avenue Q at 4pm :( Had to park on the street rather than at the lock-up (didn't want to waste any more time), and then moved it to a car park overnight - have to collect it before 9am otherwise I will pay a lot more. Getting to the car park was a nightmare - I know there are a lot of one way streets in Leeds but I thought I had it worked out, until I realised halfway up The Headrow that it's buses only beyond a certain point. I tried to move into the lane to turn right instead then followed the bus, forgetting traffic was coming from the opposite direction. Fortunately the taxi driver waited for me to pass. I felt quite disappointed with myself then that I'd done something so silly, but the traffic isn't particularly fast moving there because pedestrians are always trying to cross etc so it's dangerous to get up to high speeds. I was quite lucky really. I had to rethink my route and still managed to get lost in a load of one way systems, so I stopped and checked my phone, and managed to turn around just before I got onto another one way street. The road at the top was like a T-junction but the road I was on had right of way around the corner (if that makes sense) and a car nearly drove straight in front of me. I quickly stopped but he waved me on, but I was still a bit worried about getting lost etc, so I let him go first (I'm almost certain that he was in the wrong and not me, so that made me feel a little bit better!).

It's weird and a bit depressing that the little roads around the centre are actually the most stressful, and yet A roads were quite "easy" in comparison. Will a satnav make a difference? I'm tempted to get one, but only if it tells you which roads you can't go down, etc. Even better if you can get it to find routes that completely avoid motorways!
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

If you haven't driven/ridden around the local roads you'll find it hard to figure out where to go, its completely different if you're walking it or as a passenger in a car. Practice will help, just have a ride around on a sunday to familiarise yourself with it, you don't want to be all over the place in busy traffic where drivers have less patience
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Hopefully I won't have to drive around the centre too much - just work out how to get to and from work and that's about it. I live on the edge and the lock-up is on the edge too, so if I get my key sorted tomorrow I will be fine. It wasn't too bad in terms of traffic this evening, but there were drunk people around which wasn't ideal! It's quite busy on a Sunday with buses etc. I'll just have to make sure I have my routes planned out - maybe print some maps from Google or something.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:Hopefully I won't have to drive around the centre too much - just work out how to get to and from work and that's about it. I live on the edge and the lock-up is on the edge too, so if I get my key sorted tomorrow I will be fine. It wasn't too bad in terms of traffic this evening, but there were drunk people around which wasn't ideal! It's quite busy on a Sunday with buses etc. I'll just have to make sure I have my routes planned out - maybe print some maps from Google or something.
I've lived locally for 15 years and still get lost in Leeds. Round Tetley Wharf and Quarry House was my favourite getting lost point. I use sat nav all the time now
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

That's reassuring! I realised I rode up a no bike/car zone yesterday, only for a little way. It said "Limited Access" on the road and had signs saying the rule was in place between 5am and 10pm, but I was so busy concentrating on getting the traffic lights right that I missed them (I only saw them this morning as I was walking past) :( I hope I don't get fined. I told the person at the car park how stressed I was about getting lost etc, and he ended up letting me out for free (told me to ride around the barrier - saved £6.50!) and gave me a map of the centre. It doesn't show the bus only routes etc, but I can always highlight them at some point.

Managed to get to the lock up and spent about 15 minutes putting the scooter away - the cover I got for it doesn't quite fit around the mirrors and top box, so I've looped the strap over the foot bit and fastened it through the gap on the drop down stand thing. It's such a nuisance trying to remember what needs doing. Hopefully I'll get used to it!
mjherrick66
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by mjherrick66 »

So Emily, tell us about the bike. Do you love it or what?! Where is Leeds? It sounds a bit crazy with bus-only areas and 1 way streets. I think that would be a bit stressful to get used to. It makes a big difference when you are familiar because then you know where all the pot holes / bumps are too. Enjoy your new ride and BE SAFE.
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I do love it! I was a bit reluctant at first because I liked the idea of the step through platform, but I actually really like the way that it is - keeps me centred etc lol :) Leeds is in West Yorkshire in England - if you look at the main part of the UK it's just below halfway down, and about the middle if horizontally. The very centre of Leeds is a nightmare - it "is the UK's largest centre for business, legal, and financial services outside London" according to Wikipedia, and it's pretty busy, so the centre is very restricted. However, I'm used to getting the bus so obviously I only know those routes - it's difficult to tell when on the bus where cars/bikes can and cannot travel.

It's difficult leaving the scooter outside too - I'm not used to having a vehicle of any sort, so having to leave it outside is weird! I know obviously I can't bring it inside (I live in a third floor flat) but if I had a big enough house I think I would bring it in lol!
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Emily i know guys who wont leave tbeir sports bikes outside and they get em into the lounge!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:I do love it! I was a bit reluctant at first because I liked the idea of the step through platform, but I actually really like the way that it is - keeps me centred etc lol :) Leeds is in West Yorkshire in England - if you look at the main part of the UK it's just below halfway down, and about the middle if horizontally. The very centre of Leeds is a nightmare - it "is the UK's largest centre for business, legal, and financial services outside London" according to Wikipedia, and it's pretty busy, so the centre is very restricted. However, I'm used to getting the bus so obviously I only know those routes - it's difficult to tell when on the bus where cars/bikes can and cannot travel.

It's difficult leaving the scooter outside too - I'm not used to having a vehicle of any sort, so having to leave it outside is weird! I know obviously I can't bring it inside (I live in a third floor flat) but if I had a big enough house I think I would bring it in lol!

Why not wait for a sunny weekend or evening and get out of the city centre. Plenty of lovely places around Leeds to build up your riding experience
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to going places on it - even just driving to somewhere random would suit me. I'm looking forward to my boyfriend getting a scooter because then we can go places together, and I'll have someone there if I need help for any reason. Going to ride to work tomorrow and I'm very nervous... think I have the route planned but just hoping I don't unexpectedly come to any "bus only" roads, otherwise I'm stuck! I have tried to avoid the city centre though, so hopefully I will be fine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:Yeah, I'm looking forward to going places on it - even just driving to somewhere random would suit me. I'm looking forward to my boyfriend getting a scooter because then we can go places together, and I'll have someone there if I need help for any reason. Going to ride to work tomorrow and I'm very nervous... think I have the route planned but just hoping I don't unexpectedly come to any "bus only" roads, otherwise I'm stuck! I have tried to avoid the city centre though, so hopefully I will be fine.
My wife and me go out for a potter on the scooters, it's a good laugh on a sunny day and not as "serious" as the bikes. Stop at a pub for a coke or a half, bliss

We also sometimes go shopping on them. Saves a fortune as there's only a certain amount of things we can carry. It's good fun compromising on what to get because of space. Family sized packs of toilet rolls and 5kg bags of charcoal are right out. Have you seen that Mr Bean scene where he packs his tiny suitcase..,.

When is your boyfriend getting his scooter. Get him nagged!!!!
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I'm not sure, he says he's thinking about it because he rents out a flat and the tenants might be moving out, so he'll have less income. Plus I've spent all his money this month lol (I had to get him to pay the deposit on my scooter, clothing and insurance because I don't get paid until Friday!) :oops: He's looking at a Sym; we did our CBT on the Symply 50 and he likes the look of the Symply 2 (125cc) and they seem to be good value. I'm hoping he gets it as soon as possible - I keep thinking of all the things we'll be able to do much easier, such as visit the main parks in Leeds (one is easily accessible on a bus, the others don't seem to be), go for random shopping trips to Asda (miss them since we moved to Leeds - used to live 2 minutes walk away from one!) and the "big" Waitrose, we can ride down to Sheffield instead of paying £10+ on the train... there are lots of things I'm excited to do, but I'd rather do them with some company lol :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:I'm not sure, he says he's thinking about it because he rents out a flat and the tenants might be moving out, so he'll have less income. Plus I've spent all his money this month lol (I had to get him to pay the deposit on my scooter, clothing and insurance because I don't get paid until Friday!) :oops: He's looking at a Sym; we did our CBT on the Symply 50 and he likes the look of the Symply 2 (125cc) and they seem to be good value. I'm hoping he gets it as soon as possible - I keep thinking of all the things we'll be able to do much easier, such as visit the main parks in Leeds (one is easily accessible on a bus, the others don't seem to be), go for random shopping trips to Asda (miss them since we moved to Leeds - used to live 2 minutes walk away from one!) and the "big" Waitrose, we can ride down to Sheffield instead of paying £10+ on the train... there are lots of things I'm excited to do, but I'd rather do them with some company lol :)

Is there a Sym dealer in Leeds? If so pay the deposit for one for him on Friday. Can't go wrong then, you'll have paid back, got him a present and forced him into a decision

Result!

It is more fun going out together. When we had 50cc scooters we used to end up slipstreaming each other. At 30. Hilarious for us but not the traffic behind
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

we have a Sym dealer in Barnsley great shop almost got a SYM Symphony from them nice big wheels
http://www.bennettsmotorcycles.co.uk/sym.asp
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Yeah there are quite a few actually, just a shame they are mostly closed on a Sunday else he would've been persuaded to go ;) I think he'd kill me if I forced him to make a decision...

Lol oh Josh will be lagging behind I'm sure. I'm not confident when it comes to junctions and changing direction etc, but I love being on straight roads. Not that the cars behind me yesterday could tell, lol! I am going to be one of those people who insists on sticking to or below the limit... which is what it's there for, right? :P Josh, however, fannies on :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

uploader wrote:we have a Sym dealer in Barnsley great shop almost got a SYM Symphony from them nice big wheels
http://www.bennettsmotorcycles.co.uk/sym.asp

0% finance too. That's even less than the taxpayers are lending to the banks at
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

And three years warranty.
But short service intervals.
Kymco are also at the bargain end of the market and worth a look.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong