Wider and taller tires - PCX 150 2015

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

MrManH
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Wider and taller tires - PCX 150 2015

Post by MrManH »

Hey everyone,

I've been reading a couple threads about people putting tires as large as 140/70-14 in the rear and 120/70-14 in the front. I'm looking at getting the Michelin City Grips 140/70-14 and 120/70-14.

What I am worried about is clearance (such as rubbing in the fender) and there seems to be mixed opinion on whether this is mod free or not. Anyone has sure answer on this? I would eventually get this done at my dealership when I take it in for its 600 miles checkup. Right now I'm not very satisfied with the grip of the stock tires; bigger and wider though is mostly for looks as I find the stock tires a little skinny looking.

Thanks!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: Wider and taller tires - PCX 150 2015

Post by dasshreddar »

yes those sizes will work... you just need to lift or bend the rear fender slightly.
kram, demonkid, homie all have city grips in that size. I have Pirelli gts in those sizes.
I think homie used washers to space his rear fender.
MrManH

Post by MrManH »

Great, thanks a lot for the reply.

How about doing 120/70 in the front and rear, is there a reason why you'd always want the rear tires to be thicker than the front?

I just came across this thread that seems to be exactly what I'm looking to do:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 18&start=0

Going to read through it! Looks like the OP (Homie) is from Chicago, just like me!
Dave Bo

Post by Dave Bo »

I just did put those on my 2015 PCX last weekend. The first thing you need to know is that my local Honda motorcycle dealership refused do the tire swap for me. They have a rule about mounting new tires on existing rims that are more than 10 mm larger than existing. When I brought the existing wheels in to the service department and asked to mount 120's on 90's (front) and 140's on 100's (rear) they said "no way". Luckily, I have a Harley shop nearby and the guy did it for me with no questions asked. I have been riding on them all week and they feel great.

You will have to move the air intake box and the rear plastic fender. You will need some 1/2" spacers and slightly longer bolts. Homie did a fantastic good describing how to accomplish this on a previous post.

Another thing you need to know is that your front tire will be very close to the plastic fender above it and the forks on each side of it. The little rubber "hairs" on the new front tire actually contact the fender and forks. I was very nervous for a few days after I did the swap thinking something was going to get stuck in there and I was going to go flying over the handlebars. So far, so good... :)

BTW, last night I changed the rollers from the stock 15 gram ones to 13 gram. Also put in the NYC Vario and face plate. I guarantee, you'll be wanting to do that next... :P
MrManH

Post by MrManH »

I wish I had all the tools to do all of this myself as I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but for now I'll have to stick with whatever I can get the dealership (or other shop) to do for me.

I just got off the phone with my Honda dealership and they said they're ok putting the 140/70 and 120/70 but not sure they would do if it ended up requiring any modifications to the bike. If I went down a size on the rear, like 120/70-14 would that resolve any clearance issues without having to move anything or use spacers?

This leads me to my next question.
-Would there be any adverse effects to having the same wheel size in the front and in the rear?
-Also as far as I know, Michelin only sells "front" 120/70s, does this make a difference on scooter tires to use a "front" tire in the rear.
BTW, last night I changed the rollers from the stock 15 gram ones to 13 gram. Also put in the NYC Vario and face plate. I guarantee, you'll be wanting to do that next... :P
This is making me jealous that I don't have the tools or time (nor knowledge at this point) to do this currently. I'm hoping that I can make up for your performance upgrades by only weighing about 150lbs haha ;)
MrManH

Post by MrManH »

Dave Bo wrote: You will have to move the air intake box and the rear plastic fender. You will need some 1/2" spacers and slightly longer bolts. Homie did a fantastic good describing how to accomplish this on a previous post.
Do you have a link to that post? I'd like to see pictures of where the air box gets moved and what hardware was bought.
MrManH

Post by MrManH »

If I go with rear 140/60-14, this puts my height at 84mm which is a little lower than the stock 90mm. 84mm is also the height of the front tires I'm getting (120/70), would this be a good alternative that doesn't require messing with the fender and air tank? Any adverse effects to having both front and rear wheels the same height?
Dave Bo

Post by Dave Bo »

MrManH

Post by MrManH »

Thanks for the link, turns out it's the thread I'm looking at. The only problem is I won't be able to ask the dealership to install anything that will require bending the fender or moving the air box. Although I'd like to eventually do those kinds of mods myself, swapping the tires myself is not feasible in the near future (don't have the tools, knowledge and time to learn at the moment) so I rely on my dealership for the change. That's why I was hoping that the 60 aspect ratio on the 140s would resolve the clearance issue without creating any other problems.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

I would think a 140-60-14 would not rub, but you got to try it and find out...
no one here has done that size... yet?
I would and do prefer a taller tire for ground clearance and an increase in rev limited top speed. 8)

I soon will be getting a 150-70-13 to replace the 140-70-13 forza rear... not for width, but the slight height. ;)
MrManH

Post by MrManH »

I did a search and didn't find anyone mentioning the 140/60 so yeah it looks like no one has done it.

I do like higher clearance and top speed, maybe I should beg someone in Chicago to help me do this so I don't have to ask my dealership.
MrManH

Post by MrManH »

I ordered the 120/70 front and 140/60 rear.

I will report back with performance numbers in 2 to 3 weeks. I will keep the bike otherwise stock, no change in roller weights or variator.
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13
Color: red

Post by Drifter »

You guys that have done the bigger tire swap, how is the handling in wind better or worse?