over 40MPH without a screen?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

AKforza
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Re: over 40MPH without a screen?

Post by AKforza »

BRed thanks for the good information I had no idea and glad I changed the screens. I will look at helmets next.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

[quote="BRed"]There is one other consideration for a tall wind screen....your hearing.

quote]

Thanks BRed,
Good point.
And so, another reason for me to go slow!
I'm not comfortable at speed on a bike or scooter - and not much better in a car.
But as a carpenter I have used ear plugs for years.....I always have some in my pocket it seems. (one of the best uses is to screen out my idiot coworkers during lunch - so I can read. Used them every noon for 27 yrs)
I am sort of limited on my helmet - only found one XXXXL helmet that works with my head size and spectacles: an HJC modular. Probably not the quietest on the market, but I don't use ear plugs when riding as I want to be able to hear cars coming along side me - if it has escaped my notice in the mirrors.
I have only been riding again for 2 yrs and 13,000 miles -but I've found no interest in highway riding - or exceeding 45 MPH. My happy speed is high 30's out in the country.
I have very good rain gear for the rainy work commutes - and never take a wet leisure ride.
I'm one who doesn't need a screen. (& with a screen in the wet I'd then have two wet pieces of plastic to look through)
Fish
roc54

Post by roc54 »

"Me too! I chose a Forza mainly because it didn't have a big screen. Previously I have owned a SilverWing 600 - a great bike spoilt by an extremely noisy large screen. If I could have got a "Forza-type" screen I think I would still have the SilverWing."

Not that it matters for you anymore, but in the interest of helping someone else with a SWing, I had the same problem with the factory windscreen on my SWing. I changed over to a Givi AirFlow...absolutely solved the problem. Manually adjustable height, no buffeting in any setting, at least for me, fairly quiet and very protective. I highly recommend it for SWings.

[img][IMG]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx164/rocinante54/SAM_0236750x563.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx164/rocinante54/05-30-2011runHWY88029750x563.jpg[/img][/img]
LadyBug
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by LadyBug »

Good question. I've had my Forza for 3 weeks now. She now has about 50 miles on her. With a half helmet doing 40 mph, it feels good with the factory windshield ...until you're facing the wind. Call me a granny, which I'm not yet, but the wind is strong and unforgiving when blowing in your face. I refuse to jump on the highway without a taller screen.

I've researched the Honda tall, The Givi D1123ST & the Givi AF1123 windshields. I went with the latter, because it's adjustable. I haven't installed it yet so I'll post before and after pictures when I get started.
EvelLADYBUGKnievel
navigate40
Year: 2014 Forza 300

Post by navigate40 »

I have had my Honda Forza 300 for just over a month. Really love it. All my riding is recreational and I live in SE Florida. I have a route that begins from where I live, down and back up a barrier island. About 35 miles. The roads are 30-35mph for the most part, but there is a 45 mph stretch at the end.

Local roads can be 45 mph and there is a main one that is 55. If I want to go on longer trips or go to other places, I would have to use these roads.

30-40mph, I like the wind, since it can get hot here. Above 50mph, I am beginning to feel that you need a screen.

Question: Since most of my riding will be below 45mph (for now), will the addition of the Honda Tall screen affect the wind cooling I have now? I realize that there will not be direct wind on me, but will there be some windage that will still aid in cooling, with the wind shield?

Sorry, if this is a RDQ, I am a new rider.

Thanks

John
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Hi
My experience with the PUIG tall screen on the Forza is that it works really well in deflecting head wind at all speeds ( on the open road here I am going between 50-65mph to keep up with traffic flow) and I assume the Honda one will do likewise. When riding it provides great protection from head wind and from rain. ...but of course you are still out in the open so there is still air movement around ...However those benefits may be a lot less necessary in sunny warm Florida as opposed to windy rainy Scotland ( although today is a lovely day here) ...so its horses for courses...
Do you notice many scooters on your roads with high screens?...if not then perhaps thats your answer?
navigate40

Post by navigate40 »

Hi Dergav - thank you for your note. I notice a lot of bikes of all kinds, have wind screens. More and more.

One experienced friend, who does live in FL, told me that it will not reduce the cooling effect of wind, at lower speeds, all that much. I think it will make a significant difference at higher speeds and perhaps, enable me to go farther and faster on this bike (which is a goal).

But....I want to gather as much information as I can. The money is not that big a deal. I do want the Honda product, to make the bike as stock as possible (and I see no reason here for the screening of the grips on the bike).

I would not be riding in any adverse weather....this is just for fun and to get into riding.

I have been out in 88*F weather on bright, sunny days, wearing jeans, boots a FF helmet and long sleeve shirt, and felt fine. Not too hot. My helmet (HJC CL-17) gets great ventilation.

At speeds above 45 mph, the wind buffeting on my chest is not comfortable. 30-35, it is great for cooling...although....ambient temps here are high 80's to low 90's, much of the year (which, I love, quite honestly...that is why I live here).

Appreciate all the responses.

Thanks

J
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

navigate40 wrote:But....I want to gather as much information as I can. The money is not that big a deal. I do want the Honda product, to make the bike as stock as possible (and I see no reason here for the screening of the grips on the bike).

I would not be riding in any adverse weather....this is just for fun and to get into riding.

I have been out in 88*F weather on bright, sunny days, wearing jeans, boots a FF helmet and long sleeve shirt, and felt fine. Not too hot. My helmet (HJC CL-17) gets great ventilation.

At speeds above 45 mph, the wind buffeting on my chest is not comfortable. 30-35, it is great for cooling...although....ambient temps here are high 80's to low 90's, much of the year (which, I love, quite honestly...that is why I live here).

Appreciate all the responses.

Thanks

J
I have the Honda tall screen plus a Laminar Lip. Works real well at keep the direct wind off you plus the Laminar Lip (set at 1" above the tall screen) helps smooth the flow. You still get "wind" around you to help cool you off on hot days. It temps around 90f and above it does begin to be warm but not enough to keep me from riding. I have a HGC flip front helmet and wear one of those ventilated mesh motorcycle jackets. you should be fine with just a long sleeve shirt (for keeping cool...consider a mesh jacket, tho, for safety).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Here's indisputable conclusive proof you don't need a big screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoG7-wVgD84
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
navigate40

Post by navigate40 »

:O))) That is pretty much how I ride my Forza when 50mph or above (not the wheelies, though). I am head down and locked in :O))).

Thus....the windshield question.

:O)

[I do get waves though....from the front, like that....it almost looks as though I am on a sport bike]

ps - thinking about a mesh jacket. I wear a long sleeve neon yellow running shirt for visibility....and, along with the red bike....I really get seen.

SteveP - you are convincing me. If I can get enough air moving around me to keep cool enough, I think the tall Honda windshield would be an advantage and get me out for greater distances at greater speed.
roc54

Post by roc54 »

It looks like Givi will be making an AirFlow windshield for the Forza. You might want to give it a look. It would be perfect for your appplication, because the top element is manually adjustable with friction lock levers...lower it to get air flow when it's hot or at low speeds, raise for high speeds or colder weather. Mine has no buffeting and offers good wind protection...it's been on multi-state tours and on interstates and freeways with no problems.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

roc54 wrote:It looks like Givi will be making an AirFlow windshield for the Forza.
They already do, its the AF1123
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
LadyBug

Post by LadyBug »

gn2 wrote:
roc54 wrote:It looks like Givi will be making an AirFlow windshield for the Forza.
They already do, its the AF1123
That's the one I purchased. It's still in the box. I haven't had time to install it. I purchased this one over the Honda tall windscreen for two reasons:
1. It's adjustable.
2. It also shields some wind on your hands. (Though I wear gloves)

http://www.accessoryinternational.com/p ... -2013.html
EvelLADYBUGKnievel