Tunnel bags

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Tunnel bags

Post by maddiedog »

Mine still has the cheap clips on it, but I can open my glovebox, and it easily stays in place with just the one strap around the handlebar base. I shouldn't have spoken highly about the 496 without seeing it in person, I guess. Sorry for the false recommendation. :(

Any chance you could return it and get a T455?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

edscoot wrote:I got a T496 last week. It's 12litre capacity. You can't open the glove box on the scooter and you also have to unclip it from the bike if you want to open the seat. You can secure it in place (not very secure really) with the supplied strap threaded behind the seats hinge. If you want to stop it slopping about this strap has to be pretty short - this puts a bit of pressure on the plastic clip buckles that attach to the bag. I have found that the left clip for some reason gets stuck and really doesn't want to unclip. The plastic won't last long at this rate. I wouldn't like to try to unclip it the dark, or with cold hands. I'd score it 3/10. It's a lot of money for what it is, and it isn't much :(
12 litre?. The other day I made a phone call to a shop precisely to find out what the capacity was, and they told me it was 22, and 18 for the T455.

This is bad news for me (and I'm sorry for you, by the way), since as I was about to order a 496.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I have just checked the Givi website and it says the 496 is definitely 22 litre. The 455 is, therefore, smaller. That should explain your problems with the glove compartment and why Maddiedog doesn't have them.

I've seen the 455 available at an online shop here. It's actually a little more pricey than the 496, but that won't make a difference. The map pouch on the top is a plus, since you can fit a portable sat nav or a GPS capable mobile phone and even use it in the wet.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

You're right about the 22ltr not 12. It was stated as 12 ltr on the bike ebay shop thing I got it from - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIVI-T496-EAS ... 777wt_1317

I'm getting a bit more used to it now, but the catches are really unreliable - sometimes they work fine, others you wonder about using pliers :x

One thing though - I reckon if you put a jot water bottle in it during the winter, it'll keep your legs nice and warm.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I just found out we have a specific law in our state preventing you from taking an animal between handlebars and rider, unless you are a farmer!
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

edscoot wrote:You're right about the 22ltr not 12. It was stated as 12 ltr on the bike ebay shop thing I got it from - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIVI-T496-EAS ... 777wt_1317

I'm getting a bit more used to it now, but the catches are really unreliable - sometimes they work fine, others you wonder about using pliers :x

One thing though - I reckon if you put a jot water bottle in it during the winter, it'll keep your legs nice and warm.
I have to thank you, mate, because I was about to order the 496, but your review made me change my mind. I'll get the 455. Maddiedog has no complaints about how it fits the PCX, apparently.
Taz wrote:I just found out we have a specific law in our state preventing you from taking an animal between handlebars and rider, unless you are a farmer!
Unless you're a farmer? :lol:. I would complain, why them and not the rest of us?. Do I have to get a farming license? ;) .
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Taz wrote:I just found out we have a specific law in our state preventing you from taking an animal between handlebars and rider, unless you are a farmer!
Those farmers are sick. If there's a law to stop people having sex with animals then surely it should also apply to farmers :lol:

I see I typo'd jot, I meant hot (water bottle), in my post above.