How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by tbln930 »

I stopped at one of our fire towers down in the Ozarks today. I wasn't about to walk up those stairs.

2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Nice choice Steph!

SECoda, because of the long trek up or the questionable structural soundness?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

The trek up. I was up it a few times years ago.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I would go up it. Just would need to bring a lunch.
BrAtKo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BrAtKo »

The picture taken a week ago (6C temp).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425821062.719796.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425821062.719796.jpg (357.68 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
I've already sold my PCX and swapped to NC750S DCT
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Down to 63 F today. :P Where to go? There must be a fifty scenic destinations in the Ozarks. I will start up the "where am i" photo contest.

SECoda/tbln930
RusticCharm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by RusticCharm »

42 degrees F today. First ride since November. All the snow finally gone from the streets but still a lot of sand. I saw 4 motorcycles and one other scooter. We all had smiles.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow Steph you got yer new bike and sooner than I thought! And a new Shoei 1200 Lid. Congrats on Both. Very Nice! 8) I hope ya'll bond quickly together :P Speaking of bond...did hubby buy a new bike too? Will you be keeping your Pcx? Duh..Dumb question!! Of Course You Will! First love 'n all ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@WhiteNoise - my husband did get a new bike two. He got a red CTX with the manual transmission. I hope to keep the PCX. We did go for a nice ride on our scoots Sunday. Got up to 45 F.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Cool! The only thing better than a new bike is two new bikes. Supposed to be 71 here today, sunny, and windless so I took off for some riding and other fun projects. Boss wasn't too happy at the last second request but I am very close to retiring anyway (will turn 58). ;)

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Went over to our local Honda Powersports and they only had the manuals in the CTX700 with the DCT ABS on order. They did have the 2014 NC700 DCT ABS on hand so I gave that a whirl. I enjoyed that DCT more than I thought I would - especially on downshifting and engine braking. For the very busy road the dealer is located on the Drive mode was more than sufficient but I like the Sport mode. :P Also, the CG is so low I really could not tell a weight difference with my Forza and it is about 75 lbs heavier. I got it up to 55 mph and it has a lot of power. o_O Not a Ninja but still more than you will ever need. From what my salesman buddy says, if you push the acceleration much the mileage will fall into the 40s from the 60s. Honda really has that DCT purring.

I did about 50 miles today on a leisurely pace down to a friends house.
Steph wrote:@WhiteNoise - my husband did get a new bike two. He got a red CTX with the manual transmission. I hope to keep the PCX. We did go for a nice ride on our scoots Sunday. Got up to 45 F.

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

I liked the NC700. But, the seat height is a little over 32" and that's why I went with the CTX with a seat height of 28". I was able to flat foot the NC700 but with straight legs. Lots of people are saying great things about the DCT.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Yes - my comment on the CG was on the CTX700 although I didn't feel "high" or tipsy on the NC700 but my Forza is also about 28". I would go CTX and not NC for touring.

Someone had a Honda Reflex at the dealership and it was the first time I saw one in person. Not quite a Forza.

The dealership was absolutely stocked with bikes for the new season. Maybe 20 scooters but really a lot of everything (hundreds of bikes plus ATVS, etc). He said the CTX700 has gotten popular which is why they didn't have a DCT. Maybe 3 or 4 CTX's but no DCT.

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

That's what they are saying on the CTX forum. Going like hot cakes. I hope that my Husband doesn't regret going with the manual when He sees the ease of riding that I will be experiencing.:D

Ordered a the Nelson Rigg Adventure Dry bag in Hi-Viz yellow to go on the luggage rack I ordered. Don't want to put a black hard top case on it that will block the view of my Hi-viz riding jacket from the rear. o_O
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

My brother still buys manual cars and trucks :lol: where I will never go back to manual (since the 90s) except maybe for a play bike that goes off road sometimes or if I was treking across real rough roads all of the time. For touring on paved roads in hilly terrain (which is where I am most of the time) I am sold on automatic. I have too much time watching the other guys in my group shifting all the time and it becomes a big pain.

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

Grew up with manual cars. Didn't get my first automatic until I was in my late 30s. Never went back. Was eating lunch with a guy at work who never drove a manual car. Said He was going to learn how to soon. Thought that was interesting.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I took the PCX out today (68 F). I sure like that NCY Variator upgrade more than I thought I would. It is real spunky from 20-50 mph. This was the first time riding it much with the new top case on it. You can't see it in the rear view mirrors so you really forget it is on there. I can't feel any difference from the wind and I really love having the space. Both of the Givi cases I have are loaded with red reflectors on the rear for increased visibility.

There is no doubt about it - the Forza blocks most of the wind with the much wider faring and tall WS I have. There is little wind shielding on the PCX from the faring or the mid Givi. The PCX also feels like a clown bike after riding the Forza but that custom seat is soft and comfortable. It is perfect, though, for hauling on our camping trips and vacation and zipping through parks and campgrounds. :P

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

My wife has a manual Mazda 3 for a daily driver which I also love to drive when I can, and me I want to master the art of riding a manual motorcycle and really like it, though I can't say I love it. I will definitely get a scooter again in the future as a daily rider and keep my CBR 125R as a fun weekend bike.

I desperately need to get a top case though. I miss my storage space. Plus being on the highway, water kicks up and absolutely soaks my backpack. My backpack has a rain cover but it flaps like crazy at 100km/h.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Here are the boys with cases in the stable. I may need to add an off-road or combo play bike before I retire here shortly (wait a sec - these are all play bikes). :lol:

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@dkazzed - I bet your wife is smart!
@tbln930 - I think your Forza is a Girl and had a baby.