Helmet Hook

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dmiles13

Helmet Hook

Post by dmiles13 »

Due to the fact that most if not all FF helmets won't fit under the seat, does anyone use the flimsy helmet hook contraption, or is there a gadget available to lock the helmet to the bike?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Helmet Hook

Post by gn2 »

If your helmet won't fit under the seat, best option is a topbox.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

This?:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/helm ... elmet-lock

If you're getting a long chain anyway, you could pop your faceshield open and string the chain through. Of course, keeping it off the ground could be a bit tricky.

I'm actually surprised there are that many helmets that don't fit. Mine is a medium Scorpion EXO-1100, and my impression was that it's fairly large. Fits like a glove(no need to ram the seat down).
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

my Xl Bell helmet just fits but i put it in its bag and have to force the seat down. the supplied helmet cable works fine.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I don't see the steel hook and cable as flimsy. Since the only pressure an unarmed (or opportunistic) would-be thief can put on it is to try to pull it out, I just don't see it working. If the would-be perp has a cable cutter, well, then you are out a helmet, but then you were up against a thief who was likely armed enough to go through most anything any of us would choose to carry. The guy with the cable cutter probably has a pry bar as well, so your under-seat stuff (and the top box) are not safe either.

I guess if you live in a high crime area, you have to just take your stuff with you, and hope the scoot is there when you return.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

GeorgeSK wrote:I don't see the steel hook and cable as flimsy. Since the only pressure an unarmed (or opportunistic) would-be thief can put on it is to try to pull it out, I just don't see it working. If the would-be perp has a cable cutter, well, then you are out a helmet, but then you were up against a thief who was likely armed enough to go through most anything any of us would choose to carry. The guy with the cable cutter probably has a pry bar as well, so your under-seat stuff (and the top box) are not safe either.

I guess if you live in a high crime area, you have to just take your stuff with you, and hope the scoot is there when you return.
Isn't a cable cutter smaller and less noticeable than a prybar? I guess it depends on the size, but I'd also imagine a pry bar would make more noise when you pop the trunk or top case open. It also wouldn't set off any installed alarms if a perp just comes up, snips the cable, and walks off with the helmet.

Depending on how flexible the budget is in addition to how much time you're willing to spend locking your stuff up, the flimsy cable lock could do fine...if you toss a locking cover on top of it(out of sight, out of mind).
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Anyone consider if they want to steal your helmet they'll just cut the straps??? I wear a Shoei RF 1200. I'll take it with me thank you very much. It's not worth missing safety equipment, being violated, getting a ticket for no helmet, and being out the money for a new helmet when I can carry it just fine. :)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I did consider that, but trying to fence a helmet with a missing strap might be tricky. It's not like you can part out a helmet.

I consider myself somewhat lucky. I park in a fairly restricted area. I cannot bring the helmet into work since I work at a jail, but the likelihood of someone messing with the scoot feels pretty low.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:If your helmet won't fit under the seat, best option is a topbox.

Wouln't a top box be uncomfortable? :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We use top boxes for our helmets because of the helmet sizes. My wife has a custim seat from powerbypcx that is too low to allow her to store her helmet under her seat. My summer half-helmet fits nicely under my seat, but my winter helmet is too big, so it goes in the topbox.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Hooksta
Year: 2015 PCX
Color: Black

Post by Hooksta »

I just picked up my PCX today and am hoping I can find an option similar to this. I had this "Helmet Guardian" on my 2006 GS1200 and it worked so awesome!
http://www.advdesigns.com/heguprheselo. ... ApmY8P8HAQ
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

I have found that MOST helmets fit under the seat if you orient them correctly. No matter what way you secure your helmet if a person wants it it will be gone. The only thing locks of any kind do is help honest people stay honest. At least when they are under the seat or in a top box they are out of sight and as such are not tempting anyone.
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

For locking up full face helmets, try this.

Buy a heavy-duty dog choke chain - the type that consists of a chain with 2 round rings. Use a vise or pliers to squuze one of the rings down to an oval shape that will fit through the other ring.

Choke it around the chin bar of the helmet, and hook the oval ring to the helmet hook, or use a padlock.

A longer chain can secure multiple helmets.

The oval ring will pass through the strap D-rings for open face helmets, but obviously won't prevent someone cutting the strap.
guiri

Post by guiri »

I know it's an old thread but I ran across it by accident and thought I'd throw in a comment.

I have something called the Helmet Hook and I've seen them on bikes as well as scooters.
$15 dollar item and solves the problem of where to keep the helmet. It's not meant for permanent
storage but definitely solves the problem of where to put your helmet while you stop at the gas station, go
to the store or whatever.

I'm not sure I can post pictures but there ARE pics on their site of scooters with the helmet hook and if you have
questions, either ask me or go to their contact us page and send them an email. They're quick to reply.

Anyway, it is TheHelmetHook.com (sorry, don't know how to make it a link)

I also see talk about chains and padlocks so while on the site, do a search for the Jacket Caddy.
It's a slim cable that is very handy for locking clothes, helmets and other things to your scoot.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Due to the fact that most if not all FF helmets won't fit under the seat, does anyone use the flimsy helmet hook contraption, or is there a gadget available to lock the helmet to the bike?
All you have to do is buy a couple of these. . .
fakebarf.jpg
fakebarf.jpg (216.79 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
Put one next to the helmet and the other on the ground next to the scooter.

When you come back your scooter and helmet should still be there. Just toss them back under the seat for next time. :D

Sorry. . .I know it's in poor taste but I couldn't resist. :lol:

It would be interesting to see the look on people's faces. o_O
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I apologize if I offended anybody with the previous post about the joke, but there really is a bike lock (you can use it for other stuff too) that causes a thief to get sick really bad. . .really bad. These locks are called "Skunk Locks" and can be purchased at http://skunklock.com/

Not trying to sell anything here but I sort of assumed the word was out on these and it would have been old news to you all . . .

I hate thieves. Had a Suzuki 250 X6 Hustler stolen on me years ago right out of my driveway. It was going to be my transportation back and forth from college. My Triumph 250 Trophy had gulped a piston and I sold it to a salvage dealer for parts basically. The Suzuki was the replacement and frankly was faster and handled better. . .
Newsasquatch
Regular User
Regular User
Year: N/A
Color: N/A

Post by Newsasquatch »

I use my helmet hook. I have a disk lock, and a U-lock that's on my rear tire, a motorcycle cover, an alarm installed AND I lock the steering wheel. Needless to say, all of this takes a ton of time every day before leaving somewhere, and every day I get home I have to put everything back on.

I live in an apt and someone already attempted to steal the scooter. I got up one morning to notice the left brake lever bent from impact with the ground, and a scratch on the left side. The disk lock was also kind of stuck between the disk--which is evidence of it trying to be rolled away with some force. Oddly enough, they propped it back up again which told me that they didn't want it to be noticed.

But I digress lol, I think that it takes so much time getting ready to leave and come home that I don't want to bother with either getting some other special contraption to secure my 100 dollar helmet, or carrying it with me. I love my PCX but its already somewhat of a hassle at times. If someone cuts a strap, theyre a moron and will probably succumb to natural selection, and if they do cut the cable, then eff it, it's a small cost for being a little less inconvenienced.

Also, has anyone ever had their helmet stolen? I hear a lot of people saying that I should carry my helmet but when I ask them if they have had theirs or known someone else who had their helmet stolen, they say no to both.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Nope. . .never had a helmet stolen. They aren't exactly new. . .

I try to be discrete where I park my two wheelers when I run errands. And if I go to a restaurant or something I try to position it so that I can see it out the window from my table.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

I pop off the bluetooth module and just hang it on the mirror. I have a couple of stickers on my helmet and it's definitely well-used, so I doubt anyone would steal it.

I used to use the helmet hook, but I lost it on my first PCX after a couple of years, and already lost the hook for PCX #2. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes